IGNORED

I blame Steve Coppell

The hand of RO'D

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Coppell's forte was building squads and it was that, plus the prospect of developing the Academy that drew him to the job, or at least that's what those who know and have worked with him tell me.

James was the clincher. Not only could Coppell not believe SL had reneged on following-up the Sheff Keeper deal, he couldn't believe he'd failed to consult or take on board Coppell's warning that James would be nothing other than an unwanted and unsettling distraction to the squad (no need to attend training, indeed.) Coppell neither rated or liked James at that point and didn't want a prima donna of dubious reputation in his midst.

It wasn't heart. I'm told Coppell approached SL after the Southend debacle, informed him in the most basic terms :"I can't work with YOU," and when SL asked what type of payoff he was looking for he couldn't believe his luck when Coppell responded :"Nothing."

I've also been told of conversations that have been had with prospective managers, including some who have attended for abortive interviews. A common theme is they were expected to work to SL's agenda irrespective of whether or not that accorded with their football opinion, in which case they questioned why the need for us? They quickly and quietly walked away, though not so quiet as to often describe our backroom set-up as being: "...a joke..." In the case of McClueless I'm told he got the position as he was the only one, when informed what the package WOULD be, didn't walk.

You can fool some of the people some of the time......

Or you can fool the gullible all of the time .........

You refer to conversations you were told about by others. Were you party to any of these yourself ?

27 minutes ago, BigTone said:

. I don't give a monkey's gonads what he did at Palace. It's what he did here that matters. 

And folks wonder why our non-competitive, backward thinking club lies just about where it was when I started watching over half a century ago whilst in the meantime having achieved the square root of zip.....

Palace on the other hand were 6 spots beneath us in the table. I wonder what they achieved in the interim....?

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Or you can fool the gullible all of the time .........

You refer to conversations you were told about by others. Were you party to any of these yourself ?

Would I need to be if I hold the person(s) who told me in the highest order and know their information to be both verifiable and consistent?

I believe the Magna Carta was signed, though didn't witness the event personally.

19 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

And folks wonder why our non-competitive, backward thinking club lies just about where it was when I started watching over half a century ago whilst in the meantime having achieved the square root of zip.....

Palace on the other hand were 6 spots beneath us in the table. I wonder what they achieved in the interim....?

You are obviously a Palace fan it seems. I too have been watching City for a good while. My first game was aged 4 ironically against Palace (my Dad comes from there). I am now 62 but in all that time never seen a manager do us over like Coppell.

Just now, BigTone said:

You are obviously a Palace fan it seems. I too have been watching City for a good while. My first game was aged 4 ironically against Palace (my Dad comes from there). I am now 62.

Dare I say that's all the more reason to question how it is you hold the ill-informed opinions you do, or perchance those rose-tinted specs are these days a necessary and permanent fixture?

Irrespective of opinion, the fact remains were an also-ran outfit, going nowhere slowly and losing a king's ransom each week. So as long as you're content with that keep on making excuses....

19 minutes ago, BigTone said:

You are obviously a Palace fan it seems

Those who know me will fully understand just how seriously your statement above removes any element of credibility from that you say.....

Moreover, they'd question, like me, by what twisted pseudo logic you managed to reach that conclusion?

But back to Coppell......

29 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Would I need to be if I hold the person(s) who told me in the highest order and know their information to be both verifiable and consistent?

I believe the Magna Carta was signed, though didn't witness the event personally.

Well we all know that accounts of things can be distorted once its travelled via a few mouths. Being in business has taught me to not always believe what you are being told.

I do wear glasses for reading & distance but haven't yet had them tinted a rose colour as I am happy enough with my perspective on life and events.

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Those who know me will fully understand just how seriously your statement above removes any element of credibility from that you say.....

Moreover, they'd question, like me, by what twisted pseudo logic you managed to reach that conclusion?

But back to Coppell......

Because according to you Coppell saved them from the abyss which is just not correct. You continually use them as your example to be looked up to and admired. Same as us they played in the top flight long before Coppell.

Forget Palace and concentrate on Coppells tenure at BCFC. He did nothing, diddly squat.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Because according to you Coppell saved them from the abyss which is just not correct. You continually use them as your example to be looked up to and admired. Same as us they played in the top flight long before Coppell.

Forget Palace and concentrate on Coppells tenure at BCFC. He did nothing, diddly squat.

Tone,

You know Coppell and Mark Ashton are big mates .....don’t you ?

7 hours ago, bris red said:

And it’s this that i find truly baffling when it comes to Steve Lansdown. You don’t become a successful billionaire by repeating the same mistakes so why does he think repeating the same failed actions in regards to the football team will get him success? 

If he genuinely is put off by appointing another higher profile proven manager then that really is a depressing scenario we find ourselves in as a football club.

SL has had an audacious career in finance, and has made his fortune by being the main man.  If I wanted financial and investment advice he would be my first port of call.   Unfortunately, as he has always had things his own way, and became extremely wealthy in the process, it would appear that he always wants to be in control . His  ego will not allow him to acknowledge that he needs guidance and advice from established figures within the game, the same as a football manager might come to Steve to build a successful portfolio,  SL should be getting advice from people who know what it takes to be successful in a completely different field of knowledge, the business of football!

It's a shame that he cannot swallow his pride, and realise that he really has no idea how to appoint the right manager for this club, and until he does, despite being a wonderful benefactor, and in many ways the saviour of this club, he will continue to blunder and fail in his ambition to guide Bristol City to the Premiership.   Check your Ego in at the door Steve, and get some help from people who   will allow you to achieve your goals in sport if you would only let them?  ...............and it is NOT,  and will never be Mark 'frigging' Ashton? 

11 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

SOD was a spent man as his spell at Walsall showed. Came here too late when he was passed it.

Coppell has history of jumping ship quickly....

His past and immediate track record was largely positive through the 3 divisions, O'Driscoll.

Coppell walks early at times, from dysfunctional clubs maybe? They were a shambles in mid to late 1990s.

We had our issues in the early 2010s. Still I wonder how it's impacted matters now.

6 hours ago, Fuber said:

Correction. Blows millions on the playing squad and then appoints a manager with the know-how of getting out of league one (when we end up back there), rebuild, appoint inexperience then internally when that fails in a butchered attempt at progression, rinse and repeat.

I'm becoming of the view that you can get by out of league one with a decent manager and morale and a half decent playing staff.

Championship to Prem required the full hand meaning ambition, process, management, identity and or organisation, plus the three aforementioned.

Unfortunately in terms of processes, management, identity, and any organisation and communication - we suck. We're a league one management structure and coaching staff with a top-10 championship playing budget. 

We could save millions on player costs and wages just by virtue of having a decent tactical manager and a good coaching staff. Cook at Wigan is a prime example, before admin 11th in the table while having second lowest wage budget in the league.

Others include Bielsa, Frank, Cooper. All have a philosophy and good coaching records on the whole, the latter two at point at having achieved or competed for promotion had lower wage-spending than we do currently, which speaks volumes. Compare Norwich to where they were when Farke first came in at Carrow Road, best example.

We need a head of football operations who has some history within the game and an idea and or philosophy they wish to implement. Not a businessman who is more interested in sponsorships and commercial negotiations. 

Which Cooper? Steve at Swansea- I'd be interested to see if their wage bill is lower than here. You mention Farke at Norwich, wages had not fallen as much as media reports suggested.  Frank at Brentford the excellent example there but Swansea and Norwich tbh did make cutbacks but 3 years and 2 respectively of Parachute Payments certainly help!

9 hours ago, CodeRed said:

I started supporting City when Fred Ford was manager!   And thinking about it Coppell was arguably the only manager we've appointed in those 55 years who had proven experience at a higher  level. Wilson got Barnsley to the top div but came straight down. Everyone else was either starting out or came from a lower league- or from the same league but not with a record of success in that league.

Ford, Dicks, Millen, Osman, Jordan, Lumsden,Tinnion, Holden,.... 1st job

Benny, Houghton, McInnes ...1st English job

Cotts,SOD, TC, Ward, Smith, .....same level no promotions at that level ((all except TC had promotions but at a lower level)

Lee Johnson, GJ, Pulis, came from a lower level.

So we've never actually gone for a high profile, higher level proven manager except for Coppell who lasted 1 game.

We have rarely been close enough to the Prem to attract a ‘ higher level proven manager’ except when LJ was fired and we looked like potential promotion candidates.

We all know that Deano was considered the best coach available to take us up !!!

4 hours ago, BTRFTG said:Would I need to be if I hold the person(s) who told me in the highest order and know their information to be both verifiable and consistent?

Magna Carta wasn’t signed, it was sealed in wax with the royal seal

53 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Which Cooper? Steve at Swansea- I'd be interested to see if their wage bill is lower than here. You mention Farke at Norwich, wages had not fallen as much as media reports suggested.  Frank at Brentford the excellent example there but Swansea and Norwich tbh did make cutbacks but 3 years and 2 respectively of Parachute Payments certainly help!

Swansea 18/19 wages £50m, amortisation and player trading £28m.

Overall cost of running club £104m.

So massive budget over ours.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Shit or bust for them this season.  Same Reading.

Moreso for Cardiff possibly. Reading definitely, 

Cardiff are on Year 2 of 2 of PP...Swansea seem to have been selling quite big- both Reading and Swansea would surely have to downsize significantly, Stoke too potentially- no more PP next year!

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Dare I say that's all the more reason to question how it is you hold the ill-informed opinions you do, or perchance those rose-tinted specs are these days a necessary and permanent fixture?

Irrespective of opinion, the fact remains were an also-ran outfit, going nowhere slowly and losing a king's ransom each week. So as long as you're content with that keep on making excuses....

Don't worry, he'll pull the Millwall matchday pic out again in a minute to show us all he's a superfan and we are all wrong.....

FWIW - you are spot on. Lansdown compromised Coppell so much within a week it was impossible for him to stay as he knew he would be overruled by Lansdown on a regular basis.

We has exactly the same with Lansdown changing fees and wages agreed by all parties (when Cotterill went on holiday) - scuppering both deals that Cotts had thought were done deals.

The constant is clear - Lansdown .

5 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Don't worry, he'll pull the Millwall matchday pic out again in a minute to show us all he's a superfan and we are all wrong.....

FWIW - you are spot on. Lansdown compromised Coppell so much within a week it was impossible for him to stay as he knew he would be overruled by Lansdown on a regular basis.

We has exactly the same with Lansdown changing fees and wages agreed by all parties (when Cotterill went on holiday) - scuppering both deals that Cotts had thought were done deals.

The constant is clear - Lansdown .

Not my ‘debate’ but , with due respect , that’s unfair 

He’s never suggested he’s a Superfan or a better fan, has an alternative view but without claiming it’s a superior one

15 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

If it wasn’t for that bush twitcher, Lansdown would still have faith in expensive high profile managers.

Thanks a lot Steve!

We’ve only appointed one manager in our entire history who had previously managed in the top division in this country - yep, Steve Coppell - I’m convinced that failed experiment hurt Mr Lansdown and put him off trying it again ... 

We aren't the only club though where there is a significant input from the powers above when it comes to signing players where the manager can be kept in the dark.     

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55770710

"I cannot decide if we do something in the transfer market or not," said Klopp.

Following Liverpool's 1-0 defeat to Burnley in the Premier League at Anfield on Thursday night, the German manager said "these decisions are not my decisions".

When asked on Friday to clarify what he meant, before Liverpool's FA Cup fourth-round tie with Manchester United on Sunday, Klopp added: "Of course somebody else is making the decisions. It was always like this.

"We discuss the situation pretty much on a daily basis, could we improve something or not and we make recommendations but I cannot spend the money. I never did.

"I don't want to confuse anybody. I just said what I said."

18 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Even being ridiculously successful in a business - Investments and finance in his case doesn’t qualify you in another field though does it

I know an extremely wealthy man who made a fortune having started with nothing in the motor trade - He then had a dabble in restaurants , hotels and other ventures each of which he confesses were a bit of a disaster and lost him money.

Even SL will have certain skill sets and experience , but how many that help him produce a Football Club That is successful on the pitch ?

And I know another...............me

I had a very successful burglar alarm business in the early 80's and was worth a rather large amount of money and had previously an Office Equipment business where I was supplier to.............Bristol City Supporters Club. In those days we supplied everything to the SC for free and in return had our advertising board on the Dolman Stand, season tickets and many hospitality visits at the club. Getting bored with the alarm business, I sold it and invested in Cosmetics ( running similar to Avon ) got up to 2000+ agents here and in Scandinavia and had Joanna Lumley fronting our catalogue but I didn't see the 1990 recession coming and bingo.......I lost everything, and I mean everything. Business is a lot of luck but if I had my time again would def not sold alarm business. Only constant in my life is supporting BCFC ?

Archived