IGNORED

In Conversation with ...... Bobby Gould

headhunter

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/in-conversation-with-bobby-gould/

In this episode of the Forever Bristol City Podcast  Bobby talks about his playing and managerial career, some general football topics and starts with his discussing City's performance in Wednesday's game at Norwich City

In an illustrious career as a player and manager Bobby Gould's association with Bristol City is but a small part.

Signed from West Brom in December 1972 for £69k [a lot of money in those days] after John Galley's transfer to Nottingham Forest it was a short tempestuous period which ended in November the following year when he was sold to West Ham for £80k.

Bobby scored 15 goals in 35 appearances. He memorably fell out on the pitch with Gerry Gow [think Dyer/Bowyer 2005 and our own Orr/Carey 2006], scored and played in goal in a match against WBA following Ray Cashley's arm break, and fell out with Alan Dicks on a matter of principle which probably led to his early departure.

He managed over 600 games at club level [including 2 spells with the Gas] with the high point being steering Wimbledon to their famous 1988 FA Cup win over Liverpool. Bobby was also manager of the Welsh national side which was his last major job in football

Bobby lives in Portishead where his home has been for all bar a few years since he move to City 48 years ago

GOULD.jpg

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Signed from West Brom in December 1972 for £69k [a lot of money in those days] after John Galley's transfer to Nottingham Forest it was a short tempestuous period which ended in November the following year when he was sold to West Ham for £80k.

Eat your heart out, Mark Ashton / Steve Lansdown! No wonder we went up a few years later, what transfer business!

What did we spend that £80k on - Cheese?

12 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Eat your heart out, Mark Ashton / Steve Lansdown! No wonder we went up a few years later, what transfer business!

Cheese was I think £30,000 from Norwich. Plucked from their reserves.

What a signing by AD / John Sillett. He was on course to play for England. Until Shilton ended his career.

6 hours ago, headhunter said:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/in-conversation-with-bobby-gould/

In this episode of the Forever Bristol City Podcast  Bobby talks about his playing and managerial career, some general football topics and starts with his discussing City's performance in Wednesday's game at Norwich City

In an illustrious career as a player and manager Bobby Gould's association with Bristol City is but a small part.

Bobby scored 15 goals in 35 appearances. He memorably fell out on the pitch with Gerry Gow [think Dyer/Bowyer 2005 and our own Orr/Carey 2006], scored and played in goal in a match against WBA following Ray Cashley's arm break, and fell out with Alan Dicks on a matter of principle which probably led to his early departure.

He managed over 600 games at club level [including 2 spells with the Gas] with the high point being steering Wimbledon to their famous 1988 FA Cup win over Liverpool. Bobby was also manager of the Welsh national side which was his last major job in football

Bobby lives in Portishead where his home has been for all bar a few years since he move to City 48 years ago

GOULD.jpg

Thanks for that - listened to it all and I don't often listen to whole podcasts. Enjoyed the enthusiasm for the game. Lots of topics covered and funny quotes, e.g. the Clough phone conversation. Would be interesting to know the nature of the disagreement with Alan Dicks regarding the game v Hull City, which lead to BG's transfer request (I think he said the only time he'd requested a transfer in his career).

7 hours ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

Thanks for that - listened to it all and I don't often listen to whole podcasts. Enjoyed the enthusiasm for the game. Lots of topics covered and funny quotes, e.g. the Clough phone conversation. Would be interesting to know the nature of the disagreement with Alan Dicks regarding the game v Hull City, which lead to BG's transfer request (I think he said the only time he'd requested a transfer in his career).

Thanks. I didn't push him too hard on the Dicks fall out as he said they have never really spoken to this day. He did say it was an away game at Hull and on checking he substituted Gould for the only time in a match they lost 2-1 on 2/10/73. He played and scored against his former club WBA the following week in the game when Cashley broke his arm and he went in goal, and found the net the week after in a 2-0 at Millwall [Whitehead's debut - I was there] but a month later he was gone

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Thanks. I didn't push him too hard on the Dicks fall out as he said they have never really spoken to this day. He did say it was an away game at Hull and on checking he substituted Gould for the only time in a match they lost 2-1 on 2/10/73. He played and scored against his former club WBA the following week in the game when Cashley broke his arm and he went in goal, and found the net the week after in a 2-0 at Millwall [Whitehead's debut - I was there] but a month later he was gone

Yes, I guess that if interviewers are too aggressive, then it's difficult to encourage subjects to participate in podcasts. As Caroline Aherne discovered to her cost as Mrs Merton ?. So it's a fine line. Also, I suppose that interviewees sometimes help podcasters to get contacts to enable future interviews?

Anyway, thanks for all that you do - it's an excellent initiative ?

16 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

So, when we bought all these great players you assume it was the manager at the time who had time to go and watch games all over the country to scout numerous players?

Or......maybe it was a scouting network who were asked to look for a type of player requested by the coach / manager, who then fed the information up - to the head of player recruitment (e.g. MA type of person) to sift through all the choices who then finally made recommendations to the board. 

Nothing has changed except lots of stats etc available online nowadays, we always had someone at the top of recruitment, the information just wasn’t as apparent or publicly available as it is now. 

MA is just everyone’s scapegoat for doing a job he is employed to go so by the owner. 

3 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

So, when we bought all these great players you assume it was the manager at the time who had time to go and watch games all over the country to scout numerous players?

Or......maybe it was a scouting network who were asked to look for a type of player requested by the coach / manager, who then fed the information up - to the head of player recruitment (e.g. MA type of person) to sift through all the choices who then finally made recommendations to the board

Nothing has changed except lots of stats etc available online nowadays, we always had someone at the top of recruitment, the information just wasn’t as apparent or publicly available as it is now. 

MA is just everyone’s scapegoat for doing a job he is employed to go so by the owner. 

Are you serious ?

In the 70s ?

Thats exactly what happened - The manager , asst manager would do much , if not nearly all of the scouting 

If they were lucky they may have the help of a Chief Scout who had a few contacts 

As late as the mid late 90s our ‘ scouting network ‘  was Fawthrop (Who rarely left his office and spent much time on Non City interests) ,  Jock Rae (Who must have been  in his 70s) and Mike Gibson who pootled round together watching the odd opponents 

21 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Or......maybe it was a scouting network who were asked to look for a type of player requested by the coach / manager, who then fed the information up - to the head of player recruitment (e.g. MA type of person) to sift through all the choices who then finally made recommendations to the board. 

LJ was happy to make several flights to Verona / Cessana (or wherever it was) to watch Pisano and Djuric.  He mentioned he’d made 8 or 9 trips.

53 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Clive Middlemass was Terry Cooper's eyes on the market along with Jock Rae - they drove miles to scout talent in the 80s and had to get it right with the meagre resources at their disposal - Alan Walsh was probably their best find!

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

I thought he left within a week of the incident with Gerry Gow, Dicks thought one of them would have to go and he didn't want to lose Gerry

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I thought he left within a week of the incident with Gerry Gow, Dicks thought one of them would have to go and he didn't want to lose Gerry

The Gow incident was Brighton at home 17/2/73. Dicks took Gow off after. Referred to in book BCFC, The Modern Era . City still won 3-1

Archived