IGNORED

Max O'Leary

Prinny

Didn't really change my mind on him today.

Very good shot stopper though I think the saves today weren't special, everything was dealt with really well.

Fine distribution, nothing stood out as bad, no terrible decisions.

He does flap. (Flaps O'Leary) Every time I've seen him he's been weak in the air.

So overall the performance I thought we'd see. Are you comfortable with him as a first choice championship goalkeeper?

Yeah was a bit flappy today, but in his defense he must be pretty rusty having not played much at all and coming up against a big, strong Milwall side.

We're lucky to have Bentley who is a fantastic keeper at this level. From what I've seen of O'Leary over the years I wouldn't be worried seeing him in goal in the league if required.

He wasn’t particularly tested in what I saw today (missed the first 20 mins), but he did what he had to well aside from one missed punch late on. But that’s a bit like Moore, who I thought had a good game aside from a poor back pass when under pressure in the first half that led to a corner. They did what was asked of them. 

2 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

A good league 1 goalkeeper. If we are looking for prem football then realistically we need to think about moving him. Deceng enough champ number 2.

He is a champ number 2, and a reasonably young one at that. I'm sure if we do go up then maybe we can look at it but currently GK is probably our least worrying position.

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

Very good shot stopper though I think the saves today weren't special, everything was dealt with really well.

He does flap. (Flaps O'Leary) Every time I've seen him he's been weak in the air.

So overall the performance I thought we'd see. Are you comfortable with him as a first choice championship goalkeeper?

Yes.

19 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

24 years old....not young but appreciate by keepers standards not close to peak age.

Compare him to Freddie Woodman at Swansea who has had 2 full seasons at champ level....playing regularly....only 23.

I thought Max did a excellent job today.

Talking of Woodman do you realise he is on loan from Newcastle? Also his dad is a professional goal keeping coach so he’s had a decent head start. 
His god father might come in handy soon as well, it’s Gareth Southgate.

22 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

24 years old....not young but appreciate by keepers standards not close to peak age.

Compare him to Freddie Woodman at Swansea who has had 2 full seasons at champ level....playing regularly....only 23.

Woodman will be a top Prem keeper so comparing the two isn’t worth doing

24 years is young

6 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

I thought Max did a excellent job today.

Talking of Woodman do you realise he is on loan from Newcastle? Also his dad is a professional goal keeping coach so he’s had a decent head start. 
His god father might come in handy soon as well, it’s Gareth Southgate.

Yes I'm aware and I'm not sure what your point is.

9 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Yes I'm aware and I'm not sure what your point is.

Presumably that it's not really an equal comparison.

No one is suggesting Max will be a future star goalkeeper, but Woodman is expected to be a decent Prem one.

Might as well say Semenyo is bad because Gabriel Jesus is playing for Man City.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Presumably that it's not really an equal comparison.

No one is suggesting Max will be a future star goalkeeper, but Woodman is expected to be a decent Prem one.

Might as well say Semenyo is bad because Gabriel Jesus is playing for Man City.

Exactly! Ones market value is circa £15 million and ones worth about 500k 

At our level, we have a top number 1 keeper.  As our no2 we have a guy who is learning his trade, when played has never let us down, in fact has had some good games (Villa, Millwall - league), hasn’t cost us a transfer fee, will be on relatively low wages, is considered “club developed”, etc.  You either go with an old head on the bench or someone like Max.

Works for me.

3 hours ago, Prinny said:

Not for me. I felt nervous every time they put the ball in the box.

He looks to light weight does not command he’s box. 

If Bentley left we would replace him with another number one.

will either sit on the bench for next 5 years or move to a L1 club to get regular 1st team football.

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

Not for me. I felt nervous every time they put the ball in the box.

He looks to light weight does not command he’s box. 

If Bentley left we would replace him with another number one.

will either sit on the bench for next 5 years or move to a L1 club to get regular 1st team football.

This sums it up nicely, some fans are obviously blinkered by the fact he is young and local. Not good enough yet for championship football and definitely not our next number 1.

4 hours ago, Prinny said:

Given a run of games then Yes

Archived