IGNORED

Ten fixtures in 31 days!

Curr Avon

City's excellent win today has added another fixture to an already hellish schedule.

After completing January's matches against Huddersfield and Derby, City face 8 in February when you shoe-in our FA Cup 5th Round mid-week tie, on either 9th, 10th, or 11th February.

See:

FA Cup 5th round draw: The full fixtures schedule, dates and who Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd + City could face (inews.co.uk)

Bristol City 2020/21 Fixture List | Bristol City (bcfc.co.uk)

Get those TV streaming passes ready lads and lasses, its wall to wall viewing here on in!

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

City's excellent win today has added another fixture to an already hellish schedule.

After completing January's matches against Huddersfield and Derby, City face 8 in February when you shoe-in our FA Cup 5th Round mid-week tie, on either 9th, 10th, or 11th February.

See:

FA Cup 5th round draw: The full fixtures schedule, dates and who Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd + City could face (inews.co.uk)

Bristol City 2020/21 Fixture List | Bristol City (bcfc.co.uk)

Get those TV streaming passes ready lads and lasses, its wall to wall viewing here on in!

Some really tough games n all!

In Feb we play Brentford, Cardiff, Watford, Reading, Barnsley, Boro and Swansea. Brutal.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Is that unusual for a January? 

I'd assume in the past we've had league, Cup, cup replays and JPT matches

JPT?! 

10 games in 31 days over January and February is both unprecedented and looking at the opposition fairly brutal.

Sheffield United won’t be the best team in that lot either...

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Is that unusual for a January? 

I'd assume in the past we've had league, Cup, cup replays and JPT matches

Its not just January though its all the way through to March now weekend/midweek, think our next break of that routine is the March international break.

That March International break looks like the next problematic period.

Nagy for example has three fixtures over that period, if he gets selected for all...same with Kalas. O'Dowda subject to fitness could have up to 2- players like Diedhiou and Wells have on paper, 2 games for their countries and the latter especially I'd have thought would be high up the teamsheet- and we play on Good Friday, at 3pm! No idea on Massengo and his France Junior, DaSilva does he ever get callups anymore? Lot of travelling for Diedhiou and Wells though, differing timezones too.

IIRC, 3pm home to Stoke Good Friday, Coventry away Easter Monday also 3pm!

@Dr Balls You don't remember the joys of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy- also the LDV Vans and Auto Windscreen Shield (in my time anyway)?

• Admin
10 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Its not just January though its all the way through to March now weekend/midweek, think our next break of that routine is the March international break.

It's not though. 

February has three

March has two

April has one

It's what squads are for, I'd be interested to know what our seasons in the past were like 

• Admin
11 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

JPT?! 

10 games in 31 days over January and February is both unprecedented and looking at the opposition fairly brutal.

Sheffield United won’t be the best team in that lot either...

Certainly not unprecedented, we've always played 46 league games in the same timescale, and we've had better cup runs and replays before. 

I personally don’t get the fuss about it 

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Certainly not unprecedented, we've always played 46 league games in the same timescale, and we've had better cup runs and replays before. 

It’s a shorter season as we lost August. Usually starts first weekend of august. This season was 12th sept for the league and 5th for the league cup. So that is an extra 4 or 5 mid week games to squeeze in which would’ve been august saturdays. 

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

To be fair we haven’t. The season usually starts in august . It didn’t start until Mid September this season so much more condensed . 

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

I guess that having about 10 players out injured combined with the fact that our injuries seem to spread faster than the South African variant on a busy tube makes it worthy of a bit of fuss and a lot of concern.

It would be impossible to predict which players who begin the next 10 games in 30 days will still be fit to play at the end and where that leaves our season.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That March International break looks like the next problematic period.

Nagy for example has three fixtures over that period, if he gets selected for all...same with Kalas. O'Dowda subject to fitness could have up to 2- players like Diedhiou and Wells have on paper, 2 games for their countries and the latter especially I'd have thought would be high up the teamsheet- and we play on Good Friday, at 3pm! No idea on Massengo and his France Junior, DaSilva does he ever get callups anymore? Lot of travelling for Diedhiou and Wells though, differing timezones too.

IIRC, 3pm home to Stoke Good Friday, Coventry away Easter Monday also 3pm!

@Dr Balls You don't remember the joys of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy- also the LDV Vans and Auto Windscreen Shield (in my time anyway)?

I imagine the Easter games will be shunted back a day if crowds aren't back to games.  They are scheduled on those days to try and boost crowds.

• Admin
2 hours ago, cider11 said:

It’s a shorter season as we lost August. Usually starts first weekend of august. This season was 12th sept for the league and 5th for the league cup. So that is an extra 4 or 5 mid week games to squeeze in which would’ve been august saturdays. 

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

To be fair we haven’t. The season usually starts in august . It didn’t start until Mid September this season so much more condensed . 

The point being raised what was coming up not what has already happened in the past. 

I ask the question again  is it any worse than the past?

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

The point being raised what was coming up not what has already happened in the past. 

I ask the question again  is it any worse than the past?

It might be the worst but not by much. We did 9 in 28 and 10 in 34 in 17/18 around the league cup run and Christmas.

• Admin

Obviously this season is still ongoing and would be nice if our cup run continues past Sheffield Utd so this season currently has one game to rearrange and possibly up to three more ? 

Season 2002/03 

27 games from January to end of season with 8 in midweek 

Season 2014/15

29 games from January to end of season with 11 in midweek 

Season 2020/21

Currently 26 games from January to end of season with 8 midweek 

Thank you phantom, there is a lot of bull going on about too many games for the players as the programme isnt anywhere near as hard as decades ago. Today, the players are part of huge squads that can easily rotate (didnt we get promoted to the top flight in '70s with the use of just 16 players?), when the cup draws went on to endless replays, when travel to games was on old coaches not luxury ones like today (or flights if SL feels generous)

Also my guess is that the coaching staff take training schedules into account when certain players have played a full mid-week game so it cant be any tougher.

A much more important aspect to this 'Pandemic season' is whether fans who like to go to all homes games (and those who choose to go home and away ) will go back to that level of commitment when we are allowed to travel to all games or whether the ease of any damn button or voucher will reduce crowds significantly? Thoughts

7 hours ago, phantom said:

It's not though. 

February has three

March has two

April has one

It's what squads are for, I'd be interested to know what our seasons in the past were like 

Apparently the text is stuck on bold I'm not trying to emphasise a point ? where are our breaks until March from weekend/midweek?

Tuesday 26th January

CHAMPIONSHIP

• Bristol City19:00Huddersfield Town

Saturday 30th January

CHAMPIONSHIP

• Derby County15:00Bristol City

Wednesday 3rd February

CHAMPIONSHIP

• Brentford19:45Bristol City

Saturday 6th February

CHAMPIONSHIP

• Bristol City15:00Cardiff City

Wednesday 10th February

THE FA CUP

FIFTH ROUND

• Sheffield United19:45Bristol City

Saturday 13th February

CHAMPIONSHIP

• Watford15:00Bristol City

Tuesday 16th February

CHAMPIONSHIP

• Bristol City19:45Reading

Saturday 20th February

CHAMPIONSHIP

• Bristol City15:00Barnsley

Tuesday 23rd February

CHAMPIONSHIP

• Middlesbrough19:45Bristol City

Saturday 27th February

CHAMPIONSHIP

• Swansea City15:00Bristol City

Wednesday 3rd March

CHAMPIONSHIP

• Bristol City19:45AFC Bournemouth

Saturday 6th March

CHAMPIONSHIP

• Bristol City15:00Queens Park Rangers

I'm missing something but where does 10 in 31 kick in? Unless we mean from Brentford away to QPR at home.

I'm sure whichever way we slice it, it's slightly above 10 in 31, days wise- however 5 games, 4 of which away in 15 days is a particularly brutal segment of this list. Wonder if that's why Brentford away couldn't be this week coming, as it would have meant Norwich, Millwall, Brentford, Derby away in succession across all competitions.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm missing something but where does 10 in 31 kick in? Unless we mean from Brentford away to QPR at home.

I'm sure whichever way we slice it, it's slightly above 10 in 31, days wise- however 5 games, 4 of which away in 15 days is a particularly brutal segment of this list. Wonder if that's why Brentford away couldn't be this week coming, as it would have meant Norwich, Millwall, Brentford, Derby away in succession across all competitions.

Brentford are away to Swansea Wednesday, 3rd Feb only free date for Brentford had arranged a game already on 10th. 3rd Feb or mid March and guessing EFL are trying to round up games played ASAP.

Just now, wayne allisons tongues said:

Brentford are away to Swansea Wednesday, 3rd Feb only free date for Brentford had arranged a game already on 10th. 3rd Feb or mid March and guessing EFL are trying to round up games played ASAP.

See, I'd have looked to rejig it a bit- if there's not a rule about successive away games, I'd have looked to do it in order of rearrangement- ie Brentford vs us on this week coming up, then us vs Huddersfield the following week- Brentford could have faced Reading or Swansea the following week.

I'd have looked to in order of precedence, subject to any possible rule like that, rearrange games that were postponed- in the order in which they were originally scheduled.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It starts on the 16th of Jan. Then it's 10 games up to Feb 16th. 

We play every weekend and midweek until after the March 6th game. Because Sheff United is slotted in on the ~10th of Feb but isn't on the fixtures yet.

So it's actually 15 games in 48 days. Jan 16th to March 6th.

4 minutes ago, Prinny said:

It starts on the 16th of Jan. Then it's 10 games. 

We play every weekend and midweek until after the March 6th game. Because Sheff United is slotted in on the ~10th of Feb but isn't on the fixtures yet.

So it's actually 15 games in 48 days. Jan 16th to March 6th.

Thanks, it's brutal either way! A season like no other.

First half of the season was worse though?

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

See, I'd have looked to rejig it a bit- if there's not a rule about successive away games, I'd have looked to do it in order of rearrangement- ie Brentford vs us on this week coming up, then us vs Huddersfield the following week- Brentford could have faced Reading or Swansea the following week.

I'd have looked to in order of precedence, subject to any possible rule like that, rearrange games that were postponed- in the order in which they were originally scheduled.

Swansea had to be this week for they are in cup 5th round on the 10th so them rearranging Reading then made sense if they went out which they did today then they can play 10th. Also Swansea game was sorted when they were due to play us mid January, otherwise you would be moving games and travel arrangements all over the place.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks, it's brutal either way! A season like no other.

First half of the season was worse though?

I don't think so.

International breaks for most then there was a non international break (we didn't play a midweek game) on the ~30th Sept, and ~22nd of Dec and then we rearranged the Brentford game, so unless you had Covid you had a break then too! Luxury!

Adam Nagy did 10 games in 30 days Nov 12 to Dec 12th already though cause he had to play for Hungary.

Archived