IGNORED

Signs of improvement

Ska Junkie

Just putting it out there so don't slaughter me too badly, but, given we have injured players returning and finally playing some football rather than the really boring stuff we've seen most of this season, do the Preston and Millwall performances show we're improving and starting to play a bit?

For me, Norwich apart, who are going up anyway, it's certainly more positive lately.

Am I on my own?

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Just putting it out there so don't slaughter me too badly, but, given we have injured players returning and finally playing some football rather than the really boring stuff we've seen most of this season, do the Preston and Millwall performances show we're improving and starting to play a bit?

For me, Norwich apart, who are going up anyway, it's certainly more positive lately.

Am I on my own?

No, not at all.

Didn't LJ due to having less players to pick from once accidently stumble on a successful mix with players he wouldn't normally play? unfortunately he didn't stick with it if I remember correctly. I thought that as I watched us play yesterday not our usually line up but it looked promising.

There was definately more movement and forward momentum yesterday v Millwall.  Maybe a lack of league pressure played its part or maybe the influence of Palmer and the younger hungrier players was the reason. Whichever it was it was much more entertaining and enjoyable to watch. Maybe don't tinker too much Dean?

8 minutes ago, marmite said:

There was definately more movement and forward momentum yesterday v Millwall.  Maybe a lack of league pressure played its part or maybe the influence of Palmer and the younger hungrier players was the reason. Whichever it was it was much more entertaining and enjoyable to watch. Maybe don't tinker too much Dean?

I thought Palmer looked class yesterday. Maybe got caught in possession a few times after trying to much trickery but generally looked good. In saying that I thought from what I saw that they all looked good. Went downhill a bit after all the substitutions but at 3 nil up hey ho. Good to give a few young ones a run out.

Small signs, yes. Coincides with playing Nakhi Wells in his rightful position. Giving Palmer another start. Yes Palmer will have his ups and downs. He’s the type of player who is in the game as much as he is out of it yet can/will influence more games than he wouldn’t. Going forward we are more fluid with him in the side. 

23 minutes ago, marmite said:

Yesterday it was probably go out and enjoy yourselves, going to be interesting if Holden keeps the same team against Huddersfield.

39 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Am I on my own?

Won 3 out of the last 4.

One against a third division team, one very convincing win against a team that can't buy a home win, and the other against a struggling side (PNE) where I thought we were comfortable most of the game.

Its certainly been better, aside from Norwich which was pretty dire, but I caveat that with the opposition.

Enjoyed yesterdays game and us scoring three goals in one game and Semenyo getting a cracking goal, hopefully we can push on (and Semenyo as well).

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Don’t mean to put a negative on things but we beat a really poor Preston side and also a poor millwall second team 

Well, if you count that as Millwalls second team, I would have to say that we put out our second team as well. Six changes from the last game and 11 or 12 out injured..

Palmer returning has made a difference. He will be bloody infuriating at times but we have to go with him. It’s up to Dean to drag him off when his lack of performance is in danger of costing us a game. But as yesterday showed when he puts in a decent shift we are a goal threat. Even if the opposition are crap you still have to win the game but the comments almost rubbishing wins against Preston and Millwall only highlight how stupid it was to be suicidal after Norwich. Same posters too.

23 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Don’t mean to put a negative on things but we beat a really poor Preston side and also a poor millwall second team 

That's why I asked TBH Wilts. Green shoots and all that.

Just wondering if I was the only one but I take your point. As I'm not usually a glass half full supporter, I thought it worth discussing on a chilly Sunday. Show the same promise on Tuesday and maybe we're on the turn?

As for KP45, I thought he put a shift in yesterday by his standards

Maybe just maybe eh!

25 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, if you count that as Millwalls second team, I would have to say that we put out our second team as well. Six changes from the last game and 11 or 12 out injured..

My Millwall supporting mate has countered by saying we were playing their U15's.

As I pointed out, Agent FF, Jake Cooper, Matt Smith & several others will be thrilled to be called that age.

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

My Millwall supporting mate has countered by saying we were playing their U15's.

As I pointed out, Agent FF, Jake Cooper, Matt Smith & several others will be thrilled to be called that age.

5 of their team yesterday also started when they beat us a few weeks ago, including both goalscorers. 6 of ours started both games.

21 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's why I asked TBH Wilts. Green shoots and all that.

Just wondering if I was the only one but I take your point. As I'm not usually a glass half full supporter, I thought it worth discussing on a chilly Sunday. Show the same promise on Tuesday and maybe we're on the turn?

As for KP45, I thought he put a shift in yesterday by his standards

Maybe just maybe eh!

KP perhaps realizes he won't get many more chances. By the same token perhaps DH realizes that to avoid the sterile football of recent months he needs KP to make the team tick going forward. 

If DH has told KP this then it might have given KP the lift and confidence boost that can make a massive difference. 

I've mentioned before that with a player like KP you need to look more at what he does well and what he brings to the team, rather than focusing just on the parts off his game that aren't quite so good. 

45 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

You could equally argue that our only defeat in the last four was  to a very good Norwich side. However, I think only praising Norwich would understate how poorly we played in that match and, by the same token, I think focusing on how poor our opposition were ignores the fact we've looked a lot better in terms of structure and organisation and our football has improved as a result.

I think the improvement in the last few games is that we've now got a formation, structure and balance in place that enables the team to perform against teams that are weaker than us and get the expected result. And I think, were our next five games the five games we lost in December, I'd fancy us to get something out of all or most of them. 

The challenge remains in the other games we have lost this season - Norwich twice and Bournemouth in particular. I'd not feel confident at the moment that our current formation will get us results against the stronger sides in the division and I don't think I'd want us to go into the next five games with the same formation, even though we won today. 

I think, with the players we now have fit, we could go back to the 5-3-2 we used at the start of the season and I'd rather see it for the tough away games. 

20 minutes ago, downendcity said:

KP perhaps realizes he won't get many more chances. By the same token perhaps DH realizes that to avoid the sterile football of recent months he needs KP to make the team tick going forward. 

If DH has told KP this then it might have given KP the lift and confidence boost that can make a massive difference. 

I've mentioned before that with a player like KP you need to look more at what he does well and what he brings to the team, rather than focusing just on the parts off his game that aren't quite so good. 

I though yesterday he was the creative link we seem to have been missing. Hope he keeps going in that direction.

Archived