IGNORED

Signs of improvement

Ska Junkie

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

I am sorry, but Holden is going to have to do a lot more than win games, play good football and develop youngsters.

I look forward, in the not too distant future, to being able to post "apart from winning games, playing good football and developing youngsters, just what has Dean Holden done for us"  

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Now, now I like Millwall and they are pretty much my 2nd team. Great fans and great atmosphere.

I must say, taking all the historical violent episodes out, I do enjoy the partisan atmosphere at the Den. Back in the day, we were pretty similar TBH and visiting fans did NOT like coming to BS3 at all.

2nd team, no but I do admire the backing of their team at the Den. 

34 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I look forward, in the not too distant future, to being able to post "apart from winning games, playing good football and developing youngsters, just what has Dean Holden done for us"  

Don’t forget the aqueducts.

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I must say, taking all the historical violent episodes out, I do enjoy the partisan atmosphere at the Den. Back in the day, we were pretty similar TBH and visiting fans did NOT like coming to BS3 at all.

If in London and I need a football fix then I always look to go to Millwall. Always like the atmosphere and passion they show. Great cafe on the left on your way into the ground. Always find their fans friendly as well.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

If in London and I need a football fix then I always look to go to Millwall. Always like the atmosphere and passion they show. Great cafe on the left on your way into the ground. Always find their fans friendly as well.

Good shout.

When I'm in London overnight, I'm always at Guys and St Thomas' on Westminster bridge so the Den is easy to get to from there. Been a few times on my lonesome and never had an issue, even with quite a strong Bristolian accent.

The genuine sign of encouragement for me is that when the opposition hasn't been good, we've dominated and actually scored.

We've started fast the last three games. Now against Norwich it didn't last... but the intent and action was there IMO. In a first goal wins league fast starts are vital IMO.

Alfie Mawson returning is very encouraging.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I agree with that- been there twice albeit in modern times as an away fan.

Reckon they more than many, miss home fans, I know all clubs do but Millwall strike me as one of those sides who really are quite reliant- their home record as opposed to last season is shocking. It's one of the reasons I thought we had more of a chance than we were being given.

4 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Don’t mean to put a negative on things but we beat a really poor Preston side and also a poor millwall second team 

Wouldn't class Preston as a really poor side- some of their players are very decent, albeit I did think they were rather flat- certainly first half- vs us. Partly down to us too of course! If you mean poor on the day, well they weren't at their best but we started very well and that can help to set the tone. Some of their away results this season, some of their away performances have been outstanding- we stopped all that.

Millwall, much poorer home record or not, most sides still don't win 3-0 there- saw good signs. We ourselves made several changes too. One of those sides with whom the first goal is often crucial- see also Birmingham, Preston and in some respects, Rotherham.

4 wins in the last 6 to take it further back. Defo a bit of pass and move yesterday which was encouraging. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that the number of players available has helped improve results. Mawson and Palmer in particular have made a difference, despite the flaws in the latter re taking the right options and slightly going missing in games (partly linked to fitness linked to matches played Tbf). KP is fab on the ball mind, really difficult to get it off him and his ability to kill the bill from a pass is excellent. Still think he needs to play as a 10 though, he’d be the link between attack and midfield that we’ve missed since Weimann got injured.

Well, one swallow doesn't make a Summer (although it can make a great conclusion to a night!)

There are encouraging signs that we may be pushing ourselves back into the "above average" category, and indeed even the "pretty good" category.

Of course I loved yesterday's game. 

If I don't get too worked up about it, it's because 57 years a City fan have told me that a flutter of optimism is often the precursor of a plunge into despair.

Like players always say in post-match interviews, I take things one game at a time and don't get too ahead of myself.

Fingers are crossed though. We seemed to have remembered how to pass to our own players; which is nice.

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

The genuine sign of encouragement for me is that when the opposition hasn't been good, we've dominated and actually scored.

We've started fast the last three games. Now against Norwich it didn't last... but the intent and action was there IMO. In a first goal wins league fast starts are vital IMO.

Alfie Mawson returning is very encouraging.

The bold bit is more true this season than others with so many fewer goals being scored in the division.

Yes there is hope. Palmer the creative player we need. Wells, Famara and Semenyo infront of him looked good. Think this could be a good second half of the season. LJ and DH have had No trust in Palmer so far. Think Palmer needs to feel that he is often in the starting eleven. If he have a bad game let him start next game anyway.

27 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Yes there is hope. Palmer the creative player we need. Wells, Famara and Semenyo infront of him looked good. Think this could be a good second half of the season. LJ and DH have had No trust in Palmer so far. Think Palmer needs to feel that he is often in the starting eleven. If he have a bad game let him start next game anyway.

Yep, other players are allowed a bad games....but flair players seem to get a raw deal at times.

14 hours ago, pillred said:

Didn't LJ due to having less players to pick from once accidently stumble on a successful mix with players he wouldn't normally play? unfortunately he didn't stick with it if I remember correctly. I thought that as I watched us play yesterday not our usually line up but it looked promising.

14 hours ago, marmite said:

There was definately more movement and forward momentum yesterday v Millwall.  Maybe a lack of league pressure played its part or maybe the influence of Palmer and the younger hungrier players was the reason. Whichever it was it was much more entertaining and enjoyable to watch. Maybe don't tinker too much Dean?

Trouble is I reckon Holden will revert to Martin starting and Wells benched or stuck out left wing again. Martin was so good in a 3-5-2 at the start of the season, but his lack of pace and mobility really stifle us in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 and mean one of our two main goal threats in Fammy and Wells either does not play, or plays out of position.

We're a typical mid-table team, against weaker opposition we look good but when playing top teams our weaknesses are exposed. We definitely suffered prior to Christmas through lack of numbers available in the squad with the ones that were fit flogged to death so they didn't perform to their best. We have better numbers now and if a couple of the midfielders become available we could still scrape into the top 6 if everything goes our way.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Begs the question - will Deano stick with the same starting 11 tomorrow night? 

As others have said winning breeds confidence and belief so not need to change a winning team unless forced to.

Pretty sure that Mawson will come back in.

Pretty sure that Bentley will come back in.

Fairly sure that Hunt will come back in.

Expect the two other players under consideration are Bakinson and Wells versus Nagy and Martin, but I’d go with the two that started Saturday.

So, my team:

Bentley

Hunt | Kalas | Mawson | Rowe

Semenyo | Bakinson | Vyner | Palmer

Wells | Diedhiou

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Expect the two other players under consideration are Bakinson and Wells versus Nagy and Martin, but I’d go with the two that started Saturday.

So, my team:

Bentley

Wells | Diedhiou

Harsh on Adam but he could probably do with a decent rest though.

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Harsh on Adam but he could probably do with a decent rest though.

Yep, it is, but I probably preferred Bakinson’s partnership with Vyner (Millwall) than Nagy’s with Vyner (PNE)....I’m ignoring Nagy and Vyner (Norwich) as that’s one for “the team” to take blame.

Thought Bakinson looked much more like the early season Bakinson on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you’re right Dave - I’m  just throwing the question out there.

I was particularly impressed with Palmer and the front three at the Den and I’d be disappointed if any of those four were omitted tomorrow evening.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, it is, but I probably preferred Bakinson’s partnership with Vyner (Millwall) than Nagy’s with Vyner (PNE)....I’m ignoring Nagy and Vyner (Norwich) as that’s one for “the team” to take blame.

Thought Bakinson looked much more like the early season Bakinson on Saturday.

He did and I get your point but I hope Dean`s not afraid to change it up if TB is having one of his `sloppy` games.

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So, my team:

Bentley

Wells | Diedhiou

Pretty good team but Palmer on the left. Its a no from me. He should start behind the front two. Whether thats ok as a shape, I'm not to certain. He would need to drop back to support the midfield. Perhaps if we had DaSilva's pace, it would be. 

10 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Pretty good team but Palmer on the left. Its a no from me. He should start behind the front two. Whether thats ok as a shape, I'm not to certain. He would need to drop back to support the midfield. Perhaps if we had DaSilva's pace, it would be. 

Looks like DH is settling in on a “442” with the wide two free to drift around.

For a long time I’ve bemoaned City’s use of the 442 because the two wide-men played so wide, burdening the central two, who would often have three up against them.  It has its weaknesses but in possession we look to have more passing options than the 433 were were playing more recently.

Having said that, I think personnel makes a difference.  For all the lazy comments Palmer gets (incorrectly imho), he always gives the player in possession a passing option.  Couple that with Wells’s early runs and suddenly we have “movement” and in different directions, creating space.  One summer and all that....but definitely something to build upon.

Whilst Palmer is still building his fitness / match sharpness then left side seems to be working ok.

I was very impressed with Wells. Never been under the impression that he doesn't care for the club, his body language has not been positive but rather frustrated. This isn't where he'd envisaged the club would be but I feel like he definitely wants to fight for his place where. We played nice football he was good. We need to know how to satisfy the needs of our key players.

Archived