IGNORED

Standard of refereeing

Bassomylord

I think we can all agree that the quality of officiating in this league is mixed at best. But if you haven't seen the "assault" on that Boro Centre back against Blackburn today ypu should have a look.

Booted in the face, massive gash and subbed off.....somehow given as a goal kick.

Can someone explain the point of the 4th official? Are they not able to get involved and support the ref? I have no sympathy for Warnock but it really doesn't make any sense.

16 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Referee report will be interesting as to whether he’s seen it or not, linesman would be behind the Boro player so hard for him, other linesman’s sight may have been blocked 

4D9B12D4-8AF5-44D0-901F-BC397F35EDBC.jpeg

Just watched it.... horrendous - the Blackburn player launches himself , high boot outstretched, gets nowhere near the ball , and Fry's face is badly gashed just under the eye.

lucky that Fry hasn't lost an eye. Definitely a pen and red card.

Ref gives nothing.

Warnock's post match interview will be "interesting". !

Likelihood here is that the Ref will mention it in his post match report and say he didn’t see it in the game. As no action taken, that can be done and the player will get a retrospective red card.

For those saying fourth official - that’s basically VAR - not in at this level currently (thankfully)

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Players that raise their boot head height. Why do modern players not use their heads. Rules need to come in about this as someone will get killed. This includes overhead kicks where the opposing player often has to turn away from to not get a flying boot in the face.

There is a horrible video on youtube showing players that have died on the football pitch, some of which are from high boots. Don't advise anyone to watch that one. But it will probably take a high profile death for a big change in the rules of how high you can raise your boot.

Because he bottled getting hurt on this one.

3 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

I think we can all agree that the quality of officiating in this league is mixed at best. But if you haven't seen the "assault" on that Boro Centre back against Blackburn today ypu should have a look.

Booted in the face, massive gash and subbed off.....somehow given as a goal kick.

Can someone explain the point of the 4th official? Are they not able to get involved and support the ref? I have no sympathy for Warnock but it really doesn't make any sense.

The fourth official is their primarily in case one of the other three officials gets injured. No fourth official, potentially no game!. He spends 90 minutes getting abuse and stick from the managers and coaches from both benches, he sorts out ( potentially) ten substitutes. 

I am close to someone who is often a fourth official, he tells me it’s horrible, by far the worst job associated with being an official. 

Regarding your comment about the fourth official getting involved in the Blackburn incident, he will be 60 yards away!!, unless you can supply him with binoculars, I don’t think he would have a very good view?

There’s two things here. The first is that it’s a penalty and a red card and the officials have had a shocker there. 

However, the kid is eighteen, he’s made an error and there is absolutely no intent there. If Fry was out player we’d all be screaming blue murder but when you watch the replay he is watching the ball. For Warnock to abuse the guy like that at full time and then play the emotion card to interviewers is awful. He cannot claim the high ground after that. Is he right to feel aggrieved? Yes, but don’t go after the player. He’s acted like he’s done a Roy Keane on him, can’t abide that at all.

In cricket, you bowl a bouncer and it hits and hurts the batsman, do you feel bad? Yes. Did you bowl that to injure him? No, you’re trying to mix your line and length up to get a wicket. Everybody moves on.

Putting aside this individual decision, long been disquiet about it in the Championship- not just refereeing but officiating too IMO. From December.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9039597/Championship-clubs-demand-crisis-talks-referees-chief-Mike-Riley-officiating-standards.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/12/10/championship-clubs-demand-meeting-poor-standard-refereeing/

See the thread about a clutch of decisions last week- see the QPR denied penalty yesterday, see Lowe's possibly offside goal vs Barnsley again last week.

19 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

There’s two things here. The first is that it’s a penalty and a red card and the officials have had a shocker there. 

However, the kid is eighteen, he’s made an error and there is absolutely no intent there. If Fry was out player we’d all be screaming blue murder but when you watch the replay he is watching the ball. For Warnock to abuse the guy like that at full time and then play the emotion card to interviewers is awful. He cannot claim the high ground after that. Is he right to feel aggrieved? Yes, but don’t go after the player. He’s acted like he’s done a Roy Keane on him, can’t abide that at all.

In cricket, you bowl a bouncer and it hits and hurts the batsman, do you feel bad? Yes. Did you bowl that to injure him? No, you’re trying to mix your line and length up to get a wicket. Everybody moves on.

Absolutely, all the way in his eyes were on the ball, nasty challenge and foolish - yes, intent? Definitely not

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

The fourth official is their primarily in case one of the other three officials gets injured. No fourth official, potentially no game!. He spends 90 minutes getting abuse and stick from the managers and coaches from both benches, he sorts out ( potentially) ten substitutes. 

I am close to someone who is often a fourth official, he tells me it’s horrible, by far the worst job associated with being an official. 

Regarding your comment about the fourth official getting involved in the Blackburn incident, he will be 60 yards away!!, unless you can supply him with binoculars, I don’t think he would have a very good view?

I remember an interview with Steve Cotterill where he admitted that he'd said to the 4th official "I feel sorry for you because I know it's not your fault but your mate in the middle is having an absolute shocker"

12 hours ago, RobArnold10 said:

There's no intent, but that would be little consolation if the guy lost his eye or worse.

It's not really the same as your example, bowling a bouncer is a typical thing to do. Putting your foot head height in the box is not.

Besides all that, awful defending. I don't expect to even see that on a Sunday morning

Archived