IGNORED

Lampard out today? : UPDATE He's gone

Leveller

4 hours ago, Super said:

I reckon he would.

He's already been there as reserve team coach, before he took the Watford job. Not sure if he would want to return even as Manager or Head Coach. I could see him returning to Liverpool should there become a vacancy where he has unfinished business.

7 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

All the great clubs sack their managers after winning a major trophy -  after all, we sacked TC in 1988 after winning the Gloucester Cup.

Nice one! (Although I think it was our last league match away at Southend a few days before that finished off Cooper. I was there and we were dire!)

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Street red said:

Pathetic decision.

Worst ppg as recent Chelsea Manager 

He was briefed with closing gap at the top.

Team are playing awful football. 

Not likely to make Champions league, ultimately thats what the money men and sponsors demand 

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

Worst ppg as recent Chelsea Manager 

He was briefed with closing gap at the top.

Team are playing awful football. 

Not likely to make Champions league, ultimately thats what the money men and sponsors demand 

Harsh and sad world of football at the minute not sure I'm liking it.

14 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Last 16 champions league. 5th round fa cup. 5 points outside top 4 . Really is a tough job to keep hold of. Suppose the new German coach can get the best out of the expensive German players 

Sarri 3rd, started after much criticism finally blooding Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek and won Europa League- fans hated him.

Benitez 3rd, fans hated him- got their (at that time) young Hazard-Oscar-Mata finally playing again but with added structure, won Europa League too.

Toughest in the country I reckon- Lampard will have known it better than anyone though surely, and I'd also add that if his name wasn't Frank Lampard he might have gone sooner?

When you spend £200m (I know players sold too, I know arguments to keep too), but you spend that at Chelsea after 4th place and lots of young guys who gained a year more- and credit to him for that- the pressure is on- to get top four at worst. They get awfully edgy when top four becomes an issue I notice. Probably why their 1st and only CL winner was sacked in 2012.

Oh and of course, before I forget- Ancelotti double winner, finishes 2nd- sacked, Mourinho sacked twice and Di Matteo- as an interim wins FA Cup and CL- sacked 6 months on!

@phantom Is part of their Business Plan I reckon- top 4 is an absolute must, integral to their calculations.

As for Lampard, I was reading a little about Simeone earlier- after a few years in Argentina, he took himself outside his comfort zone with his job pre Atletico- and I suspect had Chelsea continued on current form, Atletico who are 7 ahead at the top of La Liga with a game in hand in their favour, with their grit and knowhow- and added flair and positivity this season, could well have given Chelsea a hiding- that will have been factored in. Likely the best Atletico since their title season, Chelsea's current form under Lampard...would not have fancied their chances! Suarez scoring like it's Liverpool days again- would you fancy Chelsea in their current form vs that??

Anyway, he took himself out of his comfort zone and a piece suggests it was the making of him, his stint at Catania- Lampard going to a club with a real challenge, not saying Macclesfield but revitalising or trying to revitalise say Newcastle if a vacancy arises there- get them attacking it could serve him well I reckon. Maybe the lower end of the Championship, a club with modest resources- granted fervent fans wouldn't be a factor until Covid eases up, but I wonder if Lampard should try something totally different. Big spending (at that time) Derby then into Chelsea. Heard of harder career paths...?

Stint aboard maybe at a decent sized, promising but seen better days club in one of the top 3 or 4 Leagues outside the PL. Really stretch yourself- can be the making.

14 hours ago, 2015 said:

Well I suppose it's like kind of like he got offered his dream job maybe? 
I don't think he is a great Manager, I just do not like Chelsea's ethos as a club at all, and i'd much rather see a young English/British coach given a chance than a big named foreign coach. 

Lampard was a big hope for young UK coach- if not for embargo and being called Lampard, would he have been fast tracked into that role?

Far better qualified out there, objectively speaking. Rodgers is a good shout.

14 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Im not sure Southampton would break their model to go get Lampard. It'll be chat chap from Leipzig

Chap from Leipzig given their status as high flying in Germany and successful in Europe, might not trade that in for Southampton?

I mean not suggesting he would stay at Leipzig at all costs but he might wait for a bigger job- in Germany or overseas. Or indeed, continue building at Leipzig.

13 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

It probably won't be long before he has words with the board, he's not a yes man and has form for getting into trouble with the boards of previous clubs. So the merry-go-round will continue at Chelsea, mark my words. Lampard will come out of this with lot's of money and it won't be long until he finds another club and not necessarily in the Prem.

I believe he got sacked by Borussia Dortmund after two European quarter finals, two second place finishes and a German Cup win with one final loss to Pep's Bayern- with a great brand of football.

I know Borussia Dortmund are the 2nd force in Germany, but not a bad record. Had they not sold Hummels, Gundogan and Mkhitaryan, they might have gone even better.

Surely not for on-pitch reasons?

Archived