IGNORED

City in Europe, yes we were.

Roadrunner

It was around that time that Ashton Gate hosted a Barclays League XI, managed by Glenn Hoddle, against a Serie B XI managed by Marco Tardelli.

Andy Cole and Marcus Stewart were involved, whilst the Italians had a young Benito Carbone in their side.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-maskell-s-mastery-humbles-italians-1558805.html

I was there too. Not on the ‘official’ tours tho, so we had a much livelier few days in Pisa, incorporating, in no particular order, and by no particular persons :

Being stopped for suspected drug running at the airport. 
Having no hotel booked but getting a £10 a night room right opposite the Tower. 
Smoking HUGE cigars with a German Professor from the local Uni. 
Buying booze with cigarettes, as they had a cigarette strike over there and we had loads of duty frees and the locals were desperate for fags!! 
Buying a Pisa shirt for 3 packs of Marlboro lights. 
Making friends with a uni lad who was from Genoa, who had lectures but decided to stay on the beers with us all afternoon instead of going back to the uni. (He also gave me a ‘Pisa Sconvolts’ (Skinheads) pin badge. 
Lots of drinking, enough to be sick in my sleep on the first night!! 
Being shot at by the local ultras. 
Minor scraps pre-game with the local ultras, some of whom turned out to be undercover cops! 

Shoplifting (definitely not me involved in that by the way). 
Being shot at again. 
Getting free drinks in multiple bars after the game as the Italians want payment when you leave, but the Carabinieri kept moving us on, so we had no choice but to leave without paying!! 
Being given a lift back to hotel in back of a squad car, just because the police wanted us all back home asap! 
Gorgeous food. 
Elegant women. 
Lovely wine. 
Watching AC Milan stuff someone 4-0 in the Champions league, on a very tiny tv in a very tiny bar. 
Meeting the players on a walk about the day after the game. 

A superb 3 days and nights in Pisa. Would love for some sort of Division 2 European competition to be reignited. 

2 minutes ago, Chessels Chick said:

Didn't do the official tour either but our trip was tame compared to yours!

Although did go to the AC Milan match - think it was against IFK Gothenburg and Van Basten got at least three of the goals (have photo somewhere of the scoreboard)

Sorry, I hadn’t meant to imply that you were on official coaches ?

I mentioned that bit as I think there was 1 or 2 CATS coaches, that spent 2 days driving to Italy and 2 days driving back. Meanwhile, there were about another 150-200 ish who flew direct, and I was having one of the best 3 days of my life ??

You’re right. It was definitely a Van Basten hatrick.  

Archived