IGNORED

Twentyman vs. Ashton Match Thread

One Team

2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Three things.

1. Alfie Mawson  rehap with us not Fulham. I am sure we were told he went back to Fulham as he is a Fulham player which is normal.

2. We have to get players scanned in Solihul. So no Bristol hospital NHS or private have the right scanner. What about Cardiff or Bath etc. What a loud of rubbish.

3. we cant get them in to do the right work with the injured players because the training ground is not ready. Well then take them into the bears new training ground. We are all Bristol sport aren't we?

Good try Geoff T.

I'd like to know where that's being done specifically and the actual reason behind it.

29 minutes ago, Greedo said:

If it’s all about ‘timing’ with Walsh and not offering him a deal to avoid upsetting the rest of the squad, what’s the difference with Famara?

Famara can sign a pre-contract agreement now with clubs outside the UK, Walsh (assuming he wants to stay in the UK) can't until around June

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Ahhh we did

The people who may have made mistakes are reviewing their work , changing lots of things and the way forward has been mapped out , by the same people that may have made poor decisions originally

Seems pretty sensible

I didn't pick up on that but FFS! That's going to work then..... 

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Three things.

1. Alfie Mawson  rehap with us not Fulham. I am sure we were told he went back to Fulham as he is a Fulham player which is normal.

2. We have to get players scanned in Solihul. So no Bristol hospital NHS or private have the right scanner. What about Cardiff or Bath etc. What a loud of rubbish.

3. we cant get them in to do the right work with the injured players because the training ground is not ready. Well then take them into the bears new training ground. We are all Bristol sport aren't we?

Good try Geoff T.

And

Afobe did his rehab in a London with Gary Lewin

Jack Wilshire was doing rehab with him

27 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Chris Brunt "drove 100 miles to training" says Geoff, Ashton says he had a driver but it was something they got wrong, a mistake. A mistake we made with Tomlin and haven't learned from, by sounds of it

Tomlin had a flat down here....I’m not sure they knew he was going back to Leicester to see the babysitter (allegedly) ???

22 minutes ago, Greedo said:

If it’s all about ‘timing’ with Walsh and not offering him a deal to avoid upsetting the rest of the squad, what’s the difference with Famara?

Minor point (very minor)....Walsh in u24, so we would be due compo, if we do ever get around to offering him a contract. ?

1 minute ago, Super said:

Lets be honest we were warned about Ashton and you really would not trust the guy but whats the obsession with Walsh from some on here? Bizarre.

Agree, a midfielder who has barely kicked a ball for us in years. Really like listening to geoff, very knowledgeable and obviously loves his footy!

7 minutes ago, One Team said:

I agree and actually his assessment is fair. What I have an issue with is prior to his appointment the assurance was that we wanted to "kick on" and have "a breath of fresh air". 

Had SL been honest and said we need to tighten our belts due to COVID and an uncertain world and lower our exceptions accordingly I wouldn't have liked it, but I'd have respected it and with hindsight agreed. 

Clearly there was no doubt that Dean was appointed because of covid and is the cheap option. Where I have some sympathy with Ashton & the club is nobody could have predicted at the end of Jan still no fans in the ground and looking increasingly unlikely this season. 

What  I struggle to agree with is we’re not discussing contracts with OOC players because we don’t know our income (fair enough) but we’re bending over backwards to offer Fam a new contract and reading between the lines extremely lucrative one for us. We can’t plead poverty for one set of players and offer ££££ to Fam?

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Three things.

Good try Geoff T.

Just speculation

1 - How much of Mawson's time back with Fulham was recovery time sat around and could he have spent longer rehabbing at Fulham before coming back or did he request to come back to City asap to continue his rehab, not saying its what happened but understand the answer if it was.

2 - I didn't recall anything about the right scanner, from how he was talking with relation to current situation etc it made it sound like a lot of hospitals weren't available for scans like that due to being needed for COVID etc and only certain hospitals are available to send players to

3 - COVID regulations I would expect

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Lets be honest we were warned about Ashton and you really would not trust the guy but whats the obsession with Walsh from some on here? Bizarre.

I don’t get the Walsh thing either. Clearly Walsh has promise but we have a load of other regulars (Hunt and Paterson for starters) who are also OOC and who are way more proven than Walsh at Championship level.

Will be really interesting to see what happens with them all as the summer approaches. 

1 minute ago, daored said:

What  I struggle to agree with is we’re not discussing contracts with OOC players because we don’t know our income (fair enough) but we’re bending over backwards to offer Fam a new contract and reading between the lines extremely lucrative one for us. We can’t plead poverty for one set of players and offer ££££ to Fam?

I really don't like that I'm about to use a Mark Ashton buzzword but that is down to timing, Famara can sign a pre-contract tomorrow at a foreign club, the others could but are they likely to? More than likely they want to stay in the UK than a player who moved in from abroad so some more urgency around Famara than Walsh, Pato etc

1 minute ago, Jacki said:

I don’t get the Walsh thing either. Clearly Walsh has promise but we have a load of other regulars (Hunt and Paterson for starters) who are also OOC and who are way more proven than Walsh at Championship level.

Will be really interesting to see what happens with them all as the summer approaches. 

It’s probably more the fact that Holden publicly said he loves him and wants to build a team around him, gave number the number 8 shirt, said in august he will have a new contract offer ‘in days’ and today Ashton has said there’s been nothing? 

FWIW I think the club has already broadly decided to let them all go just can’t say it at this stage due to backlash

1 minute ago, daored said:

Clearly there was no doubt that Dean was appointed because of covid and is the cheap option. Where I have some sympathy with Ashton & the club is nobody could have predicted at the end of Jan still no fans in the ground and looking increasingly unlikely this season. 

I guess the difference is Fam is a proven championship striker. Walsh isn’t proven in the championship yet and, as Ashton said, if you offer Walsh £x now, you will have an issue with the other (more proven) OOC players. 

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

In summary - we are taking OOC players saying they ‘Want to stay’ is basically the same as a contract being signed it seems. Blamed poor rehab and injuries on covid, even though no other clubs are having the same level of setbacks as us. 

In Gregor’s interview pretty sure he said that it was due to new facilities not being ready and current ones not being adequate due to COVID distancing....something like that???

10 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Three things.

Good try Geoff T.

1. We were told that AM was doing rehab (initially) at Fulham, and it was only a few weeks ago we were told he was back with us....so that’s wired crossed / BS one way or the other.

2. Sounds like BS doesn’t it....perhaps MA accompanies them on the scan as he’s got a Brummie “contact”?

3. Protocols would make that near-impossible I’d think.  I’ll let him off on this one ?

3 minutes ago, eardun said:

I guess the difference is Fam is a proven championship striker. Walsh isn’t proven in the championship yet and, as Ashton said, if you offer Walsh £x now, you will have an issue with the other (more proven) OOC players. 

I’m thinking of Paterson , Hunt and other senior pros rather than Walsh 

6 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Hunt has previously said he’s happy to wait and see what will happen.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Minor point (very minor)....Walsh in u24, so we would be due compo, if we do ever get around to offering him a contract. ?

But if Walsh was offered a contract already (based off Holden saying he was close to signing one back in the summer), does that not already apply?

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Just speculation

1 - How much of Mawson's time back with Fulham was recovery time sat around and could he have spent longer rehabbing at Fulham before coming back or did he request to come back to City asap to continue his rehab, not saying its what happened but understand the answer if it was.

Could also be that Fulham wanted to see how bad it was, if season ending then it would have made sense for the loan to get terminated and he spends his time rehabing wherever they choose to send him.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

But if Walsh was offered a contract already (based off Holden saying he was close to signing one back in the summer), does that not already apply?

Depends on terms.  There was a rumour of him being on £9k per week when signed.  No idea if true.  The offer has to be at least equal to current deal.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Depends on terms.  There was a rumour of him being on £9k per week when signed.  No idea if true.  The offer has to be at least equal to current deal.

Yeah, I understand the terms have to at least match the previous deal, but is there and expiry on when it's from?

I suppose if it isnt accepted after a certain amount of time, the parties involved should really assume it's been rejected.

But hypothetically, if we offered a deal back in August or whenever, matching previous terms and Walsh never explicitly refused it, would the club have an argument for the compensation?

• Admin
11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

It’s probably more the fact that Holden publicly said he loves him and wants to build a team around him, gave number the number 8 shirt, said in august he will have a new contract offer ‘in days’ and today Ashton has said there’s been nothing? 

FWIW I think the club has already broadly decided to let them all go just can’t say it at this stage due to backlash

I guess it's possible there are different concerns around Walsh now as to back in August. 

Also MA mentioned club budgeted expecting fans back in December.

Goalposts clearly moving 

58 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

"if we don't know what our revenue is going to be because of the pandemic, then how can we judge how much we can afford"

"don't even know when supporters will be back"

"so its about timing, when we have an idea of revenue streams we can move forward"

Seems eminently sensible to me.

But carry on..

Let’s be clear, I agree.

54 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Suppose if you’ve just spanked 20k/week on Christ Brunt, Mariappa, even Mawson, without offering the potential Crown Jewels a new deal. 

Suppose if you’ve just spanked 20k/week on Christ Brunt, Mariappa, even Mawson, without offering the potential Crown Jewels a new deal. 

Sorry, but who is the potential crown jewels you refer to ?

Ashton answered questions like a true politician no real answers just talked around them. Only thing that was made clear is that Lansdown has respect ✊ as a good owner / backer so we are lucky to have his backing. The current situation has never been managed before so let’s look forward not back. 

Archived