IGNORED

Our 11 out of contract players

Fordy62

Gregor has just posted the below and it begs the question, which of the below would you be offering deals to?

I’d be looking to offer deals to 

Hunt (2 years)

Weimann (activate year extension)

Walsh (3 year deal with option) 

I’m a bit Meh about Rowe, although wouldn’t rule it out.

Obviously I’d like to keep Diedhiou, but that one appears to be the least in our hands.

Adelakun is a difficult one, but I’d definitely be saying goodbye to Baker (good defender, but 20k p/w for not playing isn’t good value) and Paterson (good player one in ten)  

Your thoughts?

576E019A-3155-436B-B60A-B2A46E9E8F93.png

I think it depends on what sort of budget we're looking at next season. If we're going to be seriously short of cash how are we going to replace some of these players leaving? Surely it would be more expensive to buy similar players in their positions? 

If budget isn't a huge problem then i'd still like to see us keep Weimann, Paterson, Rowe. I think Adelakun has time to shine and could possibly prove his worth before his contract is up. 

Just now, 2015 said:

I would not renew Baker, Hunt, Mariappa, Gilmartin (for his Robins tv coverage alone), Rowe and Watkins. 

Just think with Jack Hunt we could get a better and more flexible right back.

Comes down to how highly Opi is rated by the club, if he's ready to be the number 2 I imagine Hunt steps aside and we recruit a new first choice. If he's not ready and needs to go to league 2 or 1 for a loan then I think Hunt gets offered a new deal as second choice and rotation option while still bringing in a new first choice. I just don't see a situation where Hunt is let go, Opi isn't deemed ready and we need to recruit 2 right backs in the summer, far cheaper to keep Hunt around if needs be and only have to recruit one.

13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Gregor has just posted the below and it begs the question, which of the below would you be offering deals to?

Hunt (2 years)

Obviously I’d like to keep Diedhiou, but that one appears to be the least in our hands.

Adelakun is a difficult one, but I’d definitely be saying goodbye to Baker (good defender, but 20k p/w for not playing isn’t good value) and Paterson (good player one in ten)  

Your thoughts?

Baker on a pay as you play deal, should be looking at deals for Paterson, Hunt and Weinmann. I can’t see Rowe being on big money so would keep him due to utility and think underrated by many 

We needed Gregor to tell us this? Pretty sure it is common knowledge. Admittedly I am in a bit of a sour mood today though so don’t mind me. 

Fam, Paterson, Hunt, Walsh and Adelakun in that order. Weimann I am unsure. He will do a job wherever but I don’t want him taking minutes from a younger player. More consistent than Pato but think Pato more of a game changer. So either one but for me Pato. The others may go. 

Suprised everyone is happy to see Mariappa gone, i would be tempted to give him potentially another 12 months unless he goes downhill rapidly from now until the end of the season, dont think he has let us down in the few opportunities he has had & with Baker & Mawson likely gone, would be nice to have another experienced player at the back that can help out in 15-20 games, dont think we have much coming through the ranks that will be better.

7 minutes ago, daored said:

Baker on a pay as you play deal, should be looking at deals for Paterson, Hunt and Weinmann. I can’t see Rowe being on big money so would keep him due to utility and think underrated by many 

Always makes me giggle when I see a pay as you play suggestion. 

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Hunt (2 years)

Your thoughts?

Very similar thoughts to you by the look of it.

Do all we can reasonably do to keep Walsh & Fammy.

Offer Rowe a new contract for his versatility and reliability.

See if Hunt will take a reduced contract, if not release.

Activate Weimann's 1 year extension.

Release Baker, Adelakun, Paterson, Watkins, Mariappa & Gilmartin.

I would offer Hunt a new deal (on reduced terms).  We have had serious issues with getting a decent right back for years, and yes although he has his limitations you can't fault his effort, plus he carries a better goal threat than most of our midfielders.  Bit of a nasty streak about him as well which is no bad thing.

15 minutes ago, daored said:

‘Pay as you play’ deals are things you only find on football forums. They seldom happen.

I’ve also never seen the phrase ‘stumbling block’ (as in ‘wages could be’) used as frequently in any other context as it is on here. 

2 minutes ago, AG City said:

I would offer Hunt a new deal (on reduced terms).  We have had serious issues with getting a decent right back for years, and yes although he has his limitations you can't fault his effort, plus he carries a better goal threat than most of our midfielders.  Bit of a nasty streak about him as well which is no bad thing.

That sums up my feelings on Hunt perfectly. He’s a good attacking full back, if perhaps not the greatest defensively. We could do a lot worse. 

It’s a good chance to get rid of some deadwood but it will all depend on how or if we can replace them. Obviously the impact of Covid might mean we need to try and keep the majority, but in an ideal world I would get rid of the majority.

Fammy would be the main one I would want to keep but it looks unlikely. 
Walsh I would keep but there is no guarantee he will be a success at this level so an offer needs to reflect that.

If we're truly a trading club as Ashton said, the club should be looking to renew Walsh and Adelakun's deal as they have age on their side to improve and can potentially be sold on for profit. The rest represent a poor return on investment if they walk away for nothing. 

The real question should be how much faith do we have in the recruitment department to replace those who do leave in the summer? I have very little faith in them, personally, going on the scattergun approach to signings since Cotterill left. Only Brownhill and Webster were successes in the time since, IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Why on earth would we give Walsh a three year deal?

Because Holden wants to build the midfield around him, he’s an exciting prospect and he has the same surname as my favourite ever overseas Gloucestershire cricket player. Want any more? I’ve got loads...

For me, keep Fam if poss, tie down Walsh who in my eyes replaces pato given we have Palmer on a long contract as another attack minded midfielder, so release pato off the wage bill.

would trigger weimann year extension but otherwise release all others off the wage bill.

weve already identified some left backs to replace Rowe long term, there are some good right backs on a free as mentioned in another thread that could replace hunt if we are proactive, and we’ve identified some centre backs to replace baker. That and no defender is worth 20k per week if they are always injured. Good player but those wages are better used elsewhere.

I can see us keeping mariappa on one more year for his experience around the squad but otherwise we’ll look to replace.

Walsh - absolutely, is only going to get better.

Fam - match his terms now, nothing over the top but not going to get better on a free

Hunt - again can't see us upgrading without spending serious money, which we don't have

Weimann - 1 year deal, plays multiple position and a good pro

Pato - 1 year deal too, see Weimann

This season shows how a large squad is required, we'd have to bring in replacements for the above and I can't see us getting anyone in better.

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s lifted directly from Football Manager. It’s the sort of thing you’d offer a 42 year old free agent Zlatan Ibrahimovic on there when playing with Lincoln City in the 2024 season.

Absolute nonsense in reality.

Understood that Andy Carroll signed on a similar type of deal for Newcastle. I think with Baker’s’ injuries and and the current financial climate a lower weekly wage with bonuses based on appearances is the best he can expect ?

Archived