IGNORED

Our 11 out of contract players

Fordy62

55 minutes ago, Malago said:

With a financial tsunami about to hit football it’s  quite possible we will be able to let all 11 players go and pick up 11 better players all on lower wages.

I don't think that has fully sunk in with the majority.

The club doesn't know what their revenue stream is going to be for the foreseeable future.

The club shouldn't be offering any player anything more than they are on now, if anything it should be less imo. As for offering lengthy contracts - forget it, one year extensions should be the way forward until the financial implications become crystal clear.

If the players with contracts running down don't like that - they can always leave for free if they can find a club to take them on at their current salaries. Best of luck with that as most clubs at this level will be the same - with the obvious exceptions like Derby, Cardiff, etc etc. 

Just my humble opinion.

Just now, Malago said:

All the clubs in the championship, including those with parachute payments will be looking to drastically cut their player budget this season.  In addition there’s the talked about £18m wages cap.  If Pato can find a club that’s willing to pay him more than we can, good luck to him.  My view is none of the 11 are irreplaceable and in a bear market it’s best to keep our money in our pockets until we see where the wage level for an average championship player like Pato settles out.

I agree with you except I think Pato could get parity or a slight bump as he'd have no transfer fee. 

My main point was it won't be that easy to swoop up better players for less than we pay our average ones, reality is it will be a case of quality over quantity.  No doubt there will be a financial tightening but the teams eyeing promotion will still offer better players more than we can afford.

I am certainly not trying to compare a tall, hard-working Fam who has been top scorer and best forward for a few seasons with the most expensive disappointment of a 'striker'; no I am not. If you want to talk statsyou need to compare time on the pitch but in reality i am talking as a fan who has loved the endeavour of our man from Knowle playing tirelessly up front, sometimes alone under Lj. Wells doesnt even compare in any way; he cant outpace a lump of a Millwall CB, he cant shoot straight (witness a dozen attempts this season, he cant win a header, he doesnt chase back, his goals have flattered his effort and skill.

But my points were about out of contract players and that if we are in the Championhsip which is highly likely, we have to find a suitable replacement for Fam if we are to let him leave. Wells isnt the answer to that nor many other positive questions

Walsh, Pato, Weimann, Rowe.

Tommy Rowe has been an excellent signing.  Covered multiple positions more than adequate.  A good pro and one that has the makings of developing into a coaching role.

Diedhiou has been has done well this season, but I would still let him go.  I would like a pacey striker that plays off the shoulder and could play in a more dynamic front three.

Hunt has been decent but I would look elsewhere.  Not sure how good Opi Edwards is but maybe he could step up in time.  

26 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I am certainly not trying to compare a tall, hard-working Fam who has been top scorer and best forward for a few seasons with the most expensive disappointment of a 'striker'; no I am not. If you want to talk statsyou need to compare time on the pitch but in reality i am talking as a fan who has loved the endeavour of our man from Knowle playing tirelessly up front

I’m not a believer that he does work tirelessly, he often labours in closing down, doesn’t make lots of proactive runs, so I’m not convinced that equates to “tirelessly”.  The last couple of games he has put in more effort than I’ve seen for a while.  A cynic might say that’s the shop-window effect?

, sometimes alone under Lj.

And when he has (not his fault), it’s to the detriment of other players, e.g. Weimann who have to play wide, but still do the press.  

Wells doesnt even compare in any way;

no, he’s not had to unselfishly sacrifice his best role to play left / right wing / forward has he?, and although not a strength he’s put in ok shifts.  When has Fam ever been asked to play out of position?

he cant outpace a lump of a Millwall CB,

not surprising that a 6’5” CB can catch a 5’7” striker over 40 yards.  Cooper, like Flint are surprising quick when they get their long legs going,  Flint was alleged to be one of City’s quickest players over 40 yards...and many deemed him a lump / carthorse.

he cant shoot straight (witness a dozen attempts this season, he cant win a header, he doesnt chase back, his goals have flattered his effort and skill.

that’s fine to hold that opinion.  I think there are some inaccuracies in what you say, but we all see things differently.

But my points were about out of contract players and that if we are in the Championhsip which is highly likely, we have to find a suitable replacement for Fam if we are to let him leave. Wells isnt the answer to that nor many other positive questions

but imagine if we signed a striker and played him to his strengths, and made other players change their game to allow Wells to succeed.

Imagine a head-coach signing a player for £3.75m and not criticising him 3 or 4 times within weeks of signing.

Being an argumentative bit, please see above ⬆️⬆️⬆️.

But it’s all about opinions....it’s certainly not as black and white as you paint.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I don't think that has fully sunk in with the majority.

The club doesn't know what their revenue stream is going to be for the foreseeable future.

The club shouldn't be offering any player anything more than they are on now, if anything it should be less imo. As for offering lengthy contracts - forget it, one year extensions should be the way forward until the financial implications become crystal clear.

If the players with contracts running down don't like that - they can always leave for free if they can find a club to take them on at their current salaries. Best of luck with that as most clubs at this level will be the same - with the obvious exceptions like Derby, Cardiff, etc etc. 

Just my humble opinion.

Just to throw a provocative point into the mix, with all clubs' revenues taking a major hit, surely FFP will have to be put on ice until things stabilize. I assume they'll instigate some sort of temporary exemption for last season, this, and possibly even next. They could 'reset' the FFP 3 year window when things are back to normal.  

This summer could be a good time for clubs with money to push the boat out without having the same FFP restrictions. I know it goes against Lansdown's direction of self-sustainability (which I agree with as a strategy)... but just saying it could be a chance to double down and gain an advantage if he's willing to spend. 

Clutton & Dunc dead right. Good to hear someone putting a rather sad, but perhaps realistic take on the state of football in our Covid-ridden world right now. It is possible with little or no income for the rest of this season that all clubs will 'double-down' their costs to a point where league 2 go semi-Pro, even regionalised and where our league has to adjust the salary frameworks down, 25, 50, or even 75%

I hope in many ways this doesnt happen as it means we wont be back to a 'normal society' with 20-25k crowds at Ashton BUT there has to be a good chance those days are gone for this year even if there are no hiccups with Vax programme and even if no further variant emerges.

On the other hand, many of us have been wanting to see football 'normalise' , ie not having bit-players like Palmer as young guys earning fortunes, driving huge Porches etc whilst most men of their age are still 10 years off affording their first house?

I wont stay on downbeat subjects for long but wanted to applaud Clutton for making the point there is a totally different world out there for later this season and also to Dunc for saying wealthy clubs may take huge advantage. I think what most of us want is money going back into grass roots and local football when it can start again, crazy 'easy monies' paid to agents being a thing of the past and all of us getting back into the ground to sing;"One for the ..

6 hours ago, Dunc said:

Just to throw a provocative point into the mix, with all clubs' revenues taking a major hit, surely FFP will have to be put on ice until things stabilize. I assume they'll instigate some sort of temporary exemption for last season, this, and possibly even next. They could 'reset' the FFP 3 year window when things are back to normal.  

This summer could be a good time for clubs with money to push the boat out without having the same FFP restrictions. I know it goes against Lansdown's direction of self-sustainability (which I agree with as a strategy)... but just saying it could be a chance to double down and gain an advantage if he's willing to spend. 

They’ve already set the rules.

19/20 and 20/21 will be added together and divided into two, and then added to 17/18 and 18/19.

There are certain COVID losses that will be exempted.  Easy things like testing costs, premises alterations etc.  But also transfer values, but this is based on club receiving an offer pre Covid and a smaller one post Covid, and is not as straightforward as it seems.  Has to be proved and subject to review.

If you just reset, your Derby’s and Wednesday’s will take the piss.

Clubs should be cutting their cloth accordingly, not praying on a change of FFP rules to save their arses.

19 hours ago, 2015 said:

Our successes in the transfer market have mainly come from these sort of players over the past 7-8 years, stemming all the way back to O'Driscoll's Summer in 2013.

I think that when looking back at SO'D's time with us, they forget his recruitment: obvious examples Pack and Flint cost a combined £750k (?). Several years' excellent service, sold for twenty plus times that.

21 hours ago, Wembley Excile said:

Always makes me giggle when I see a pay as you play suggestion. 

It does happen, usually older players. I recall Owen was on one at ManUre? Carroll defo on one, but he's a gold-plated sicknote and Newcastle are his home club.

Interesting alternative might be a highly performance based contract: I recall a top striker in Italy (can't remember his name), at the end of his career, signed a deal with his home town club for Italy's minimum wage...but with a massive goal bonus. 

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I think that when looking back at SO'D's time with us, they forget his recruitment: obvious examples Pack and Flint cost a combined £750k (?). Several years' excellent service, sold for twenty plus times that.

Flint....£300-350k

Pack....£90k

Derrick Williams....free

Frank Fielding....£200k

As for Tommy Rowe, he was heavily linked in summer ahead of 14/15, but went to Wolves, who’d been promoted.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They’ve already set the rules.

19/20 and 20/21 will be added together and divided into two, and then added to 17/18 and 18/19.

There are certain COVID losses that will be exempted.  Easy things like testing costs, premises alterations etc.  But also transfer values, but this is based on club receiving an offer pre Covid and a smaller one post Covid, and is not as straightforward as it seems.  Has to be proved and subject to review.

If you just reset, your Derby’s and Wednesday’s will take the piss.

Clubs should be cutting their cloth accordingly, not praying on a change of FFP rules to save their arses.

Appreciate it Dave. I was expecting an outcome where the Derby's and Wednesday's would be able to get away with it. If the rules are set in a way to make this watertight then I'll be happy and impressed... but I remain somewhat skeptical based on historic ability to control FFP. 

24 minutes ago, Dunc said:

Appreciate it Dave. I was expecting an outcome where the Derby's and Wednesday's would be able to get away with it. If the rules are set in a way to make this watertight then I'll be happy and impressed... but I remain somewhat skeptical based on historic ability to control FFP. 

You are right to be sceptical 

Archived