IGNORED

Ashley Williams Retires

Silvio Dante

Had some decent spells with us but I find it hard to look past the two red cards, the second of which at Nottingham Forest was pretty inexplicable, in what were at the time two fairly important games.

I never really have a problem with an aging player being off the pace or not as sharp as they were, but stupidity I struggle with. And he occasionally did stupid things.

Saw his first game at Stoke where his opening 20 mins looked like he was the next Gus Ceasar of defenders (91-92) or Bas Savage (15 yrs later) of forwards; He got a bit better that game at Stoke but went straight to Lansdown after the game to apologise for being so crap and to promise he'd get better - which he did. In fairness, another shrewd signing by Ashton and his merry men and despite being Welsh, nothing against the guy at all. Wishing him a happy retirement

Did more good than bad whilst here, whilst we were up the creek without a paddle so to speak. It is hard to see past those red cards though, with the second one being unforgivable.

I've got no issue with older, more experienced and slower players, so long as they can read the game well enough to make up for that lack of pace. I think that most of the time this was the case with him although you'd always have to have someone next to him that could make up for his lack of pace if needed. 

Certainly worse players we've had here over the years that have added little to nothing. 

4 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Saw his first game at Stoke where his opening 20 mins looked like he was the next Gus Ceasar of defenders (91-92) or Bas Savage (15 yrs later) of forwards; He got a bit better that game at Stoke but went straight to Lansdown after the game to apologise for being so crap and to promise he'd get better - which he did. In fairness, another shrewd signing by Ashton and his merry men and despite being Welsh, nothing against the guy at all. Wishing him a happy retirement

No he ain't, he's English. Born in Wolverhampton. Qualified for Wales through his grandmother. I have never thought that should be allowed. Parent, maybe. Grandparent, no.

Archived