IGNORED

Team for - Huddersfield (H) - Tues 26th Jan 19:00 - Matchday thread

I mean, we would not be the first team ever in this league to play a bit deeper when ahead.

However they tend to keep a good shape, make it difficult for the other side to create chances, and then aim to pick them off on the break by carrying a threat. We just had none of that at all. There would be well drilled hard working 2nd division sides that would have made it more difficult for Huddersfield than we managed in the second half, just by getting the basics right.

Great start with 2 beautiful goals but then we abandoned the press and the midfield sat so deep they were 30 yards off the forward line giving themselves no chance to link play. Huddersfield are no mugs and took advantage of the space they were given, and only a combination of the woodwork, some desperate defending and wayward finishing prevented them taking a point, or even 3 tonight. The second half was like watching us at Cardiff this season. Totally Under Siege a combination of Kalas, Mawson and Bentley took on the Steven Seagal role. 

Fun fact of the night was that Carlos Corberan started his coaching career in the Cypriot 3rd division. Who the hell knew that Cyprus had a 3rd division!!! 

Just now, DT The Optimist said:

A lucky outcome for sure, but we can only improve on that second half and with a few on way back you never know... let’s get to 50 points ASAP 

I don’t know why we thought it would be a walkover. They’ve beaten Swansea, Borough, QPR & Watford this season and several of their games they’ve only lost by 1 goal. They’ve got some good players with premier league experience.   But at the end of the day it’s a results business 

Difficult to believe it’s not a deliberate tactic that when we turnover possession (frequently), City players are being timed on how quickly they can get back to the edge of our own box. Has a hint of basketball about it, sometimes our opponents decide to take a punt and go for a 3 pointer from outside the box, more often a 2 pointer and if we’re lucky we scramble away the rebounds. Quite odd to watch. 

Bents, Kalas and Mawson definitely earned their money there. It was abysmal in front of them from 35 minutes...

Missed tackles, misplaced passes, balls not sticking to forwards etc. Felt pretty embarrassed at the end there, got to do a helluva lot more than that to see a game out.

Got away with one.

14 minutes ago, desert said:

Shameful second half display - how can Holden begin to justify that utterly dreadful embarrassing performance. 

ps yes I know we won - but I have no pride in a team that wins like that - we were completely dominated for an hour and had simply nothing to offer except a good goalkeeper. Awful, horrible to watch.

Do you really think Holden decreed the second half?  What I saw was us being unbalanced by the Rowe injury, Huddersfield sensing a chance and then throwing everything against us with considerable flare.  Sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition.  Personally I though Holden’s subs were ok (though I was calling for Massengo to replace Bakinson), but Tommy Rowe was a big loss with no other left footed player to take his place.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Do you really think Holden decreed the second half?  What I saw was us being unbalanced by the Rowe injury, Huddersfield sensing a chance and then throwing everything against us with considerable flare.  Sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition.  Personally I though Holden’s subs were ok (though I was calling for Massengo to replace Bakinson), but Tommy Rowe was a big loss with no other left footed player to take his place.

I expected Huddersfield to come at us straight after the break and the Rowe injury didn’t help but most teams weather the storm and get back into the game....not us. We just move further and further back letting teams come at us and chucking subs on don’t help if you don't change it tactically.  

that’s Holden’s problem, totally naive when it comes to tactics

7 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

For goodness sake we just won our 4th game out of 5 this calendar year.

If a team took the lead against us then defended like that, people would be saying ‘why can’t we do that?!?!’. We won. Enjoy it!

From one optimist to another, of course enjoy the 3 points, but we were mullered good and proper... good defending and Lady Luck... we have our fair share and you have to believe this might be our year with luck like that..not first time is it 

I dread to think what will happen at Brentford if we are that passive. It's one thing to sit on a lead and another to stand off and let the opposition have as much time and space as they want.

Given that was the case for an hour I assume Holden was ok with it though.

On the plus side, Kalas is rapidly turning into Shaun Taylor. Shame more of his teammates don't follow his example.

8 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

For goodness sake we just won our 4th game out of 5 this calendar year.

If a team took the lead against us then defended like that, people would be saying ‘why can’t we do that?!?!’. We won. Enjoy it!

Come on now. It felt like a Cup tie where we were the lower league side under constant pressure. I’m hoping Joe Williams can come in there and organise us in the middle of the park.

It was just too frantic.

Archived