IGNORED

Team for - Huddersfield (H) - Tues 26th Jan 19:00 - Matchday thread

24 minutes ago, desert said:

Shameful second half display - how can Holden begin to justify that utterly dreadful embarrassing performance. 

ps yes I know we won - but I have no pride in a team that wins like that - we were completely dominated for an hour and had simply nothing to offer except a good goalkeeper. Awful, horrible to watch.

Don't think football is really your thing is it? We are on a good run, we are on the whole putting in better performances, so stuff your negative comments, and enjoy the 3 points. 

Not proud ..things happen in real football, get a grip.

Just now, RedRaw said:

I expected Huddersfield to come at us straight after the break and the Rowe injury didn’t help but most teams weather the storm and get back into the game....not us. We just move further and further back letting teams come at us and chucking subs on don’t help if you don't change it tactically.  

that’s Holden’s problem, totally naive when it comes to tactics

I get that, but if the opposition is chucking everything at you, you defend.  If you’ve played football you know that you adapt to what’s going on on the field, and the manager/coach has little influence if they’re chucking the kitchen sink at you.  I think Holden’s problem was not having a strong enough bench to be able to make a significant difference.  Massengo for Bakinson perhaps?  We needed someone to put his foot on the ball in midfield and push us forward, but it didn’t happen.  One thing I’m confident of though is that the manager’s instruction wouldn’t have been “Go out and defend desperately for 45 minutes”.  I’ve said it elsewhere but sometimes you do have to give credit to the opposition and a lot of Huddersfield’s approach play in the second half was very good indeed.

Thank Christ for Kalas, Mawson and Bentley - and Diedhiou for his goals tonight.

Embarrassing second half - extremely poor game management from Holden and his two assistants.  

Thats not the first time where its a case of get in front and then chuck everything that was good away and then sit back and wait to concede or get lucky and win. 

Very disappointing.

I don't know why I'm so dispirited, I won £80 for the 2-1 win.

30 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

That was an awful, anti-football hour after we went two up. Deano should be ashamed of that negative rubbish. 

Do you seriously think he told them to drop so deep . As players you do it automatically when your as under the cosh as we were . No, we shouldn’t have dropped so deep and we got away with one but it wasn’t on instruction . 

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I dread to think what will happen at Brentford if we are that passive. It's one thing to sit on a lead and another to stand off and let the opposition have as much time and space as they want.

Given that was the case for an hour I assume Holden was ok with it though.

On the plus side, Kalas is rapidly turning into Shaun Taylor. Shame more of his teammates don't follow his example.

The spine of the team looks solid Bentley Kalas nagy fam its the rest that looks shocking.

Wells would rather be in London it just isn't working out for him here.

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He’s on a rolling contract isn’t he ? Meaning he always has 12 months to run 

@Davefevs shared a link explaining it which I can't find right now but basically there's no such thing as a "rolling" contract and once the 12 months fixed has expired either party can leave without compensation. Of course it can be extended but the "option" is there.

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Honest appraisal of the game from Kalas tbf.

"we can't keep playing like that"

"if we go 2-0 up we should be looking for 3-0, 4-0 or whatever"

And, tellingly when asked about the Derby game "whoever coaches it better will win the game"

That does seem rather a telling statement. Unusual for a player to refer to the coaching but it's not clear what he was getting at.

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I get that, but if the opposition is chucking everything at you, you defend.  If you’ve played football you know that you adapt to what’s going on on the field, and the manager/coach has little influence if they’re chucking the kitchen sink at you.  

:laugh:....not for over 45 minutes! Good god, this was a Huddersfield team in poor form not Barcelona. Yes, pressure for 10/15 minutes after half time or the last 10 minutes but we didn’t have a touch second half.

That wasn’t just about Huddersfield playing well, it was us stepping off and letting them come at us, getting deeper and deeper, aimless balls out from the back. Even wiemann called it!

any coach worth his salt would see this happening and make the necessary tactical changes to counter the threat.....we just got lucky they didn’t grab that equaliser

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Honest appraisal of the game from Kalas tbf.

"we can't keep playing like that"

"if we go 2-0 up we should be looking for 3-0, 4-0 or whatever"

And, tellingly when asked about the Derby game "whoever coaches it better will win the game"

I agree with the first sentence, not with the second one: playing badly and losing the control of the match is one (negative) thing, setting up defensevely when 2-0 up and/or trying to slow down the rhythm/doing possession instead of attacking is another. First of all, it's a matter of tactical plan and ability to manage different moments of a match, depending also on the opposition's qualities.

To me, Huddersfield is not a bad team, so suffering a bit against them is not a shame: however, being dominanted is a problem, if we think about the next matches...

If Huddersfield had got a second goal I was thinking how the hell we were going to get a 3rd with the personnel on the pitch? Fortunately we held on and rode our luck. We don’t half surrender possession too cheaply. 

Happy to have stolen the 3 points, but god help us when Big Dave leaves. I envision a collapse on the horizon.

19 hours ago, Atticus said:

Some point this season we are going to get a massive tonking. Great to win, but in reality we are quite shambolic on the pitch more often then not. A hiding is coming. 

On Sky they stated Town had 19 shots in the 2nd half and still lost.

If it wasn't for Bents that tonking could have been last night.

8 hours ago, 22A said:

On Sky they stated Town had 19 shots in the 2nd half and still lost.

If it wasn't for Bents that tonking could have been last night.

Indeed. The tonking could of been Norwich too. Or countless others. If we keep at it, it will come. We cant keep relying on luck to keep the score down. 

I put some tweets up last night showing the simplicity of the chance Campbell volleyed wide.  Just a simple breakdown in marking / closing down the ball led to a very good chance.  It was repeated many times.

47377971-A7A8-488E-99B9-B6F8BEC16750.thumb.jpeg.29ec4efed91e44bf940c080c16f41b67.jpeg

Pic1: Sarr on the ball.  Diedhiou not closing him down.  Wells splitting the other two defenders.  Semenyo and Vyner attracted to watching the ball as O’Brien looks to spin in behind.  Kalas is being dragged short by Mbenza, whilst Mawson has Campbell, and Mariappa looking to give him a bit of cover as his man is miles away from danger.  Hunt (out of pic) is midway between Kalas and Toffolo (out of pic), giving him a bit of cover if he gets spun, whilst being able to get to Toffolo.  Bakinson and Palmer fine.  So in effect a slight breakdown between Diedhiou, Vyner and Semenyo.

4451AE9C-C1A7-445E-B666-FAAEA40F3BAD.thumb.jpeg.dcdfca91b1c2d5c56e9110b69855599a.jpeg

Pic2: Diedhiou still no pressure on the ball, Semenyo still ball watching, Vyner just reacting to O’Brien’s run, as Sarr makes the pass.  Mbenza has dragged Kalas up the pitch leaving a nice hole in behind.

CA648D06-F1A9-47B7-BB60-9E957800DA45.thumb.jpeg.95abc211e6d40dd7713d7191d3eb2ffb.jpeg

Pic3: O’Brien now 3 yards beyond Vyner who’s still shaped towards the passer.  Semenyo hasn’t moved!  Diedhiou only just getting close, but too late.  Mbenza is now heading for the big hole, but Kalas has tracked this run.  We still can’t see Hunt and Toffolo.  The joys of Robinstv.

B15EEE7B-BECA-477E-AFFB-9BB4626776B4.thumb.jpeg.a0accdcccc43360a95254a6b20681dd0.jpeg

Pic4: the pass is on its way.  Semenyo still hasn’t moved.  O’Brien still beyond Vyner who is still half-facing the ball whilst O’Brien is running away from him.  Mariappa sensing he might need to help Mawson.  Kalas still tracking Mbenza.

C6F9B4E0-CDD8-4769-8F3D-C8FBE93CCD54.thumb.jpeg.5b429640d3ed7de8a87dcab642b38a74.jpeg

Pic5: Hunt engages Toffolo.  O’Brien now 5 yards free of Vyner, and a very good passing option for Toffolo,.  Kalas tracking Mbenza.  Mawson senses Kalas might need to cover O’Brien’s run and moves across a bit just in case he needs to pick-up Mbenza.  Mariappa closes in on Campbell.

89951998-91B2-4D21-BA1D-46CB63B2406B.thumb.jpeg.c109fe60843934923f77e6d04493fb67.jpeg

Pic6: Toffolo ignores O’Brien, Vyner catching him up, Campbell has found a great space between Mawson and Mariappa....but it woukd take a brilliant cross from Toffolo to find him, wouldn’t it? ?

F30335EC-D2F1-45BA-8C7C-60D9A5AA1738.thumb.jpeg.fd79238ca348eae6a8374aca9529de63.jpeg
Pic7: bugger, Toffolo does put in a brilliant cross, and Campbell has space to volley....but luckily it’s wide.

So, in summary, bit of a breakdown in who’s marking, who’s pressing the passer.  For a big lump, Sarr is quite a nice passer.  But, also purposeful running by O’Brien  just causes issues for Hunt, who really wants Semenyo to pick up Toffolo.  Vyner could then pass O’Brien on to Hunt and then press Sarr if he so chose.

This scenario happened many, many times, predominantly left wing of the two wings.

C5C84E02-E2B2-403B-AA93-2717A49DF87A.jpeg.ba3199a16e6508a476e9d258b8bfc15b.jpeg

D0F39982-B10E-4557-8B1E-AADC59216B65.thumb.jpeg.748710c7c674f9602a81c32e2b34fa77.jpeg

It wasn’t dissimilar to Norwich in many respects.  Is it an issue with 442?  Partially, but only because we don’t put enough intent into closing the passer, marking or at least shutting passing lanes.  I would imagine both Huddersfield and Norwich couldn’t believe their training ground patterns were so easily executed.  The 442 does leave passing lanes more open from a birds-eye view look at the pitch, but we are masters of our own destiny in terms of shape without the ball.  Lots to work on.

Archived