IGNORED

Super Fam, Pay the Man

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Pains me to say it, but maybe just playing him is the right option.  Happy with that, and happy that he’s playing well.  His contract will be whatever it will be.

He's doing pretty much everything you could want of a striker at the moment: scoring, making runs, challenging for headers and trying to get flick-ons, chasing back, helping out in defence. Like you, I'm not particularly bothered about why he has started doing all of this again. Long may it continue. 

I have no faith we can replace him with better. Hell even if we did, do we have the ability to get more than what we get from Fam? Wells seemed like he’d be a sure thing and he has probably played half the season on the left. 

I think we all assume Kalas is our highest paid player, yes? Offer Fam that and if he signs he is worth that. Could be that he is playing for his next contract. I can accept that theory. It could also be Fam is really settled in his life and the area and is hitting his prime with years of experience in the league now. We go mad about resale value and all that. Fam is on fire and hitting his prime years. I think its time we benefit from the time we put into Fam. He is playing like a 20 goal scorer so pay him like it. Also there can still be resale value if he signs and keeps scoring like he does. I feel its a no brainer to make him joint top earner. 

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I have no faith we can replace him with better. Hell even if we did, do we have the ability to get more than what we get from Fam? Wells seemed like he’d be a sure thing and he has probably played half the season on the left. 

I think we all assume Kalas is our highest paid player, yes? Offer Fam that and if he signs he is worth that. Could be that he is playing for his next contract. I can accept that theory. It could also be Fam is really settled in his life and the area and is hitting his prime with years of experience in the league now. We go mad about resale value and all that. Fam is on fire and hitting his prime years. I think its time we benefit from the time we put into Fam. He is playing like a 20 goal scorer so pay him like it. Also there can still be resale value if he signs and keeps scoring like he does. I feel its a no brainer to make him joint top earner. 

Bent over backwards to bring Tomlin in on big big money, a player with a questionable attitude at best. 

Famara is a 100%er & is a extremely good in both boxes, when he's not there for corners against, we certainly notice it. 

If Holden really doesn't see Famara as the player he wants for any system he plans on using moving forwards, then so be it. But I think we're making a mistake letting him go. 

I think Fam has already decided he wants a new challenge. Reluctantly. I would take a million or 2 for him just so we get something back on him. Boro were interested. I think he may go to a prem club who are struggling to score. He's not a prem player but he will be cheap to buy so someone may take a gamble.... Maybe West Brom as they know he can score goals in the championship when they get relegated....or he may go abroad? 

In an idea world, I would keep him but I can't see it happening. 

This is completely the wrong time to be breaking wage structures.  No one knows where the game is going to be in a year’s time, maybe not even six months’ time.  The transfer market is almost dead and I suspect that all over the country contact talks are on hold.  The club very clearly want Fam to stay, which is why they’ve made him an offer that would make him the highest earner at the club, but enough is enough.  He’s good, but he’s not good enough to bankrupt the club for.

12 hours ago, daored said:

It is breaking the bank , say you offer Fam an extra £5k a week , next thing Kalas wants the same, so does Bentley etc - players talk and our top players will want to be rewarded equally 

I totally agree, if you break the bank with fam, other players will want the same, if he won't sign ,let him go,

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

This is completely the wrong time to be breaking wage structures.  No one knows where the game is going to be in a year’s time, maybe not even six months’ time.  The transfer market is almost dead and I suspect that all over the country contact talks are on hold.  The club very clearly want Fam to stay, which is why they’ve made him an offer that would make him the highest earner at the club, but enough is enough.  He’s good, but he’s not good enough to bankrupt the club for.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. I think we are just saying giving him a pay rise makes sense due to possible cost of replacing him. I am sure the club have targets in mind if he does not sign but we know what we get from Fam with signs of him possibly taking his game to another level.

No one wants the club to go beyond their means for sure. Maybe even my opinion has a bit of no covid around it. Idk how badly the lack of revenue will affects us long term. Meaning will we be about back to normal after next season or is this going to be years before we can operate the same? 

34 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Bent over backwards to bring Tomlin in on big big money, a player with a questionable attitude at best. 

Famara is a 100%er & is a extremely good in both boxes, when he's not there for corners against, we certainly notice it. 

If Holden really doesn't see Famara as the player he wants for any system he plans on using moving forwards, then so be it. But I think we're making a mistake letting him go. 

We aren’t letting him go. We’ve offered him a new contract, unlike all other ooc players here by sound of it. So they are trying. 

He probably wants to move on and try a higher tier. Short career and he’s been here a while so why not? Doesn’t reflect badly on the club or management or fam. 

The assumption that ‘pay the man’ is the solution is a bit basic. And also, if he did sign for mega money, next run of bad form he has, all over this board would be ‘we could be using his 40k a week to strengthen other areas’. (Given the number of people on this board that dislike Steve Lansdown, there are a lot of people that seem to like spending his money for him.)

Think fam is going to try something new. If he keeps playing like he is for next 4 months then that will do me. Just enjoy while he is here. 

The club always plan in advance and would surely have been talking/offering him a new deal last summer (confirmed by Holden when I saw him at Weston friendly) - in the past when players have made it clear they wouldn’t be signing (ie Bryan/Reid/Flint) Ashton worked his magic and got city the best possible deal for a player with 1year left so the ‘business model’ stays prudent and cost effective. 

So in my mind a player with a significant selling fee with 1year left on contract should have been sold and the money used to sign a new replacement. We have done this so well in the past but very poorly this year and we have millions of player values potentially going for free in the summer (Ie Fammy, Walsh, Baker, Weimann, Hunt, Paterson) so I put the blame solely on Ashton and co for not doing the sensible thing. 

No one player is bigger than the club, but unfortunately the club will suffer financially next couple years (or we will be looking at freebies/loans) as we haven’t stuck to the original business plan. Covid is not an excuse either

I've no idea what is going on with Diedhiou and his contract, but I suspect we could offer him 30k a week and he'd still leave. He's made it plain in the past (remember an interview he did on Senegal TV) that it isn't all about money. I think he wants to play at a higher level and maybe in European competitions. 

That isn't going to happen in this country but he'd probably have a couple of good choices in Europe if he's free to sign. 

Shame we are only now seeing the best of him with playing to his strengths - which aint lumping it up to him.

6 minutes ago, brad blit said:

The club always plan in advance and would surely have been talking/offering him a new deal last summer (confirmed by Holden when I saw him at Weston friendly) - in the past when players have made it clear they wouldn’t be signing (ie Bryan/Reid/Flint) Ashton worked his magic and got city the best possible deal for a player with 1year left so the ‘business model’ stays prudent and cost effective. 

So in my mind a player with a significant selling fee with 1year left on contract should have been sold and the money used to sign a new replacement. We have done this so well in the past but very poorly this year and we have millions of player values potentially going for free in the summer (Ie Fammy, Walsh, Baker, Weimann, Hunt, Paterson) so I put the blame solely on Ashton and co for not doing the sensible thing. 

No one player is bigger than the club, but unfortunately the club will suffer financially next couple years (or we will be looking at freebies/loans) as we haven’t stuck to the original business plan. Covid is not an excuse either

1 year is too late.

I remember Alex Ferguson saying that when he signed a player on  a 5 year contract, in reality (in his mind)  it's 3 years - then you make a decision to either tie the player up again or sell.....no matter who the player is. He said letting the player get to 1 year remaining is a big mistake as all the power then goes to the player and his agent, you lose control and are left reacting to the situation instead of controlling it.

I just wish Mark Ashton had read SAF's book !

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. I think we are just saying giving him a pay rise makes sense due to possible cost of replacing him. I am sure the club have targets in mind if he does not sign but we know what we get from Fam with signs of him possibly taking his game to another level.

No one wants the club to go beyond their means for sure. Maybe even my opinion has a bit of no covid around it. Idk how badly the lack of revenue will affects us long term. Meaning will we be about back to normal after next season or is this going to be years before we can operate the same? 

1A332A72-972D-4C0F-9B03-D83139B5DF4A.thumb.jpeg.368d8702fc657d27b7cb9e4bc21d09a5.jpeg

Heres last season’s revenues.  Assuming no fans and diminished commercial revenues, I’d guesstimate £10m less for this season.  Imagine our accounts if we were £10m down in this set.....a £20m loss instead.

14 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

1 year is too late.

I remember Alex Ferguson saying that when he signed a player on  a 5 year contract, in reality (in his mind)  it's 3 years - then you make a decision to either tie the player up again or sell.....no matter who the player is. He said letting the player get to 1 year remaining is a big mistake as all the power then goes to the player and his agent, you lose control and are left reacting to the situation instead of controlling it.

Yes, when you’re talking 4+ year contracts you have to have a mid-term review.

27 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

1 year is too late.

Its exactly the same with a 3 year +1 contract which seems to be standard at City (?).

Review at the start of the final year with the +1 in reserve.

Works well enough for City imo, although these are abnormal times so any contract negotiations are going to be vastly different.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

1A332A72-972D-4C0F-9B03-D83139B5DF4A.thumb.jpeg.368d8702fc657d27b7cb9e4bc21d09a5.jpeg

Heres last season’s revenues.  Assuming no fans and diminished commercial revenues, I’d guesstimate £10m less for this season.  Imagine our accounts if we were £10m down in this set.....a £20m loss instead.

Yes, when you’re talking 4+ year contracts you have to have a mid-term review.

Do you know if the EFL is going to hold this season against clubs going forward? Or any kind of wiggle room towards FFP in regards to this season?

My prediction is his contract will run out during the Summer and he will be off playing Football abroad. He's been a good servant to the club and improved season upon season, we'll miss him, and we will need a replacement as I don't think Wells or Martin are those guys to step up.

I'm surprised at some of the gloom tbh. Ashton made it clear on Monday night that the clear issue was with budget. Apart from the elite clubs, (and lets not forget even Barca owe a Billion by now), all clubs have to reduce their wage bills. Football finance has for quite some time been absolutely unsustainable. Clubs cannot afford to pay fortunes to players with VERY average ability. At the top of the game people get paid (per week) what it would take YEARS to earn outside top level sport....it's quite simply unsustainable. If players out of contract still think they will be offered mad money in the summer, I suggest they may be in for one almighty shock

In Fam's case, I do wonder if we're stuffed regardless of what we do.

Given his plethora of advisors, say we offered him £XX which was what he was after in the first place, I do wonder if he would then be advised to ask for £YY? In that scenario, which could happen, we can't win. Agent greed, that's all I can see.

If Fam goes, yes, it will be disappointing but good luck to the guy.

47 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Do you know if the EFL is going to hold this season against clubs going forward? Or any kind of wiggle room towards FFP in regards to this season?

Yep, absolutely.  As posted in the FFP thread, clubs should’ve been cutting their cloth accordingly this season, not in anticipation of relaxation of FFP.

i was thinking about this last night and came to the conclusion the club are doing it right. nobody knows what will happen next season so if a player wants more than the club can offer,let the contracts run out and see if said players get their offers,if not,they either dont play or stay for another year on wages the club think it can afford. cant see too many big signings happening below the prem for a good while to come. not really much point getting promoted just yet with all this going on.we couldnt buy the necessary players if we did until we know where we are going.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The stupid thing for me is that over the past few games, Fam is playing much more like the Fam that arrived from France.  Is it partly that with the likes of Palmer and Semenyo, even Wells that playing long / longer ball is not really an option and therefore Fam playing a bit more in spaces than previously.  He is not playing like a target man....something I’ve argued he’s not since he arrived.

Someone asked me at h-t whether the goals he scored tonight were more reminiscent of the goals he scored for Angers.  Yes they are / were.

I still wouldn’t pay £25-30k per week for him, but I’m enjoying his recent run of performances much more than I have for some time.  Pains me to say it, but maybe just playing him is the right option.  Happy with that, and happy that he’s playing well.  His contract will be whatever it will be.

Good points.

It would be interesting to see how he copes if he does get a chance with a bigger team.    Given how poor we have been generally in recent times, he hasn't had much service and neither LJ or DH seem tactically smart enough to get the best out of him.    He doesn't have anything like the talent of Tammy who's doing OK at the top, but he is a difficult player to defend against and his recent form has been brilliant.      His defensive ability is another rare quality and, with the spotlight on him, he really does give his all.

30 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I expect he will go for nothing at the end of the season, possibly back to France.

So get the most out of him whilst he is here.

And I’d say good luck getting £25-30k per week there now that the tv deal has bombed.  I think he was using it as leverage.

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Okay not a top team, but if Boro are to get fam then I am sure Warnock will play him up top on his own with 2 wide men.

And he’ll quickly realise he doesn’t get across his man and score many from crosses! ???

Archived