IGNORED

Super Fam, Pay the Man

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

We could be due a pharaoh fee...

Not a problem, if we sell to Pyramids FC, we will let him play one more game for us before he goes, just to say goodbye, we then carry him off the pitch a hero, then Pyramids FC will get wind of this and pull the plug on the deal and we get to keep him! Where have I heard that before?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/7521310.stm

Starting to wonder if it's simply a case of Famara wanting a new challenge. He's been here a long time now, might feel he's ready to have a go somewhere else (back to France seems likely to me). If the statement about this being one of our biggest contract offers is true, and Famara still doesn't fancy it, then its probably not a question of money. If it is, and someone goes and offers him crazy money, then there's nothing more the club can do.

Looked up Pyramids FC as I had never heard of them, blimey!

In the end, dethroning Al-Ahly long term is going to take an almighty push. And while it may not happen any time soon. Pyramids have built something on the pitch which could eventually overturn the status quo. A shake-up is always nice. But a club like Pyramids winning the league shouldn’t be celebrated by anyone. They’re a club built around the ambitions of a member of a foreign power, with an entirely manufactured identity and a fanbase who are paid to attend games.

16 hours ago, collier said:

Yea he hit those 49 goals in 150 games all in the last few months. Just wish he would have got himself a 1-3 goals ratio before all these contract shenanigans started. 

I think a Famaral has been fantastic. We haven’t played him to his strengths instead insisting that he’s the big man up front to hold up the play on his own .

He has added that to his game and is stronger for it but we saw glimpses of a very skillful , creative player at the beginning of his career with us and didn’t use it .

He appears to be more free in his play now and quite frankly is a joy to watch .

It would be typical for the player now to leave us and blossom elsewhere into a wireless ( or world beater as I wanted to say , thank you predicting smelling) . 

14 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I take it we’ve all seen the tweet suggesting he’s demanding 35k p/w?

There aren’t many who would warrant that, and certainly nobody at Bristol City.

In that case thank him and wish him well.

Agree with most others on this thread. We've made the offer - that's it now, take it or leave it. He's been a good servant for the club but I believe that in the new post COVID football landscape he can easily be replaced and even upgraded for the same money as he's asking!!

If he won't sign, sell him in this window for what we can get I say. We're neither going up or down this season anyway, so it's not critical that we keep him 'at all costs'.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Wow. Well I guess it's bye then!

It would make more business sense to sell now if we can get a couple of million.

I think we would have sold for a good amount in the summer had it not been for covid.

I'm not sure it makes good business sense at all. And he knows it (which is a move he's fully entitled to exploit) 

To replace him will cost what, £5million, at least.

Thats £3million out of pocket, for someone how may be better, but could be worse... Or and extra £15-20k per week..? 

Let's say its a £20k increase. That's roughly that £3 million to cover Fam on a 3 year deal. 

The question, apart from whether he would happily stay for that offer, is do we have someone in mind to replace him..? Either incoming or from within..?

And that's IF we can get £2million for him right now. I'd also think that that was unlikely, as they can cut a deal to sign him at the end of this season, without having to pay us that. 

#### you Marc Bosman..! 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Still way too much, especially at the moment.

I don't think we have to replace him with a big name striker who demands big wages. 

We would currently have Wells, Semenyo and Martin.

We could just go one up top and might not need anyone to come in for now.

Or we could bring in a lower division striker with that money like maybe Jephcott.

Next season we might have Weimann back if contract option is taken by the club.

2 million now and potential bit extra in future with percentage of any profit or nothing in summer. I'd take the money.

You also back yourself to replace with someone else like Kodjia for a few million and hope to get some big money back 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

For 30k a week you could probably have six decent young uns or a lower league unpolished diamond and still have enough left over for a beer and a cod lot ! 

Thank you Famaral. If we go up then maybe , if not , slim and no chance . ( Slim’s just left town ) .

Slim Whitman?

@Bar BS3

Your £5m replacement fee and hefty contract point assumes that the market hasn't, at this level especially taken an enormous hit through Covid.

Well it has to date. The number out of contract, hitherto not renewed, decent players at this level (not just us, at this level) is huge. There is material uncertainty right across the board.

A few have signed pre contracts with foreign or Old Firm clubs, 2 more have renewed but this £5m replacement thing- I'm not wholly convinced.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Still not worth 30k in my opinion 

Kalas is on £27k, is slightly more than that for the past two seasons top goal scorer, this seasons top goal scorer,  and last years player of the year too OTT?

Arguably not, even if it is a crazy amount of money. 

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

Coincidence that Famara is hitting form when contract talks are on ongoing? 

Plain wrong.

18 hours ago, collier said:

Yea he hit those 49 goals in 150 games all in the last few months. Just wish he would have got himself a 1-3 goals ratio before all these contract shenanigans started. 

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but he's consistently had close to a 1 in 3 ratio for us.

2017/18 - 14 in 36 (0.38 per game)

2018/19 - 13 in 44 (0.3 per game)

2019/20 - 14 in 44 (0.32 per game)

2020/21 - 8 in 26 (so far 0.3 per game)

I won't set it out here but if you look at his scoring sequences as well then he's remarkably consistent. Rarely scores more than one in a game, rarely scores in consecutive games. Just metronomically taps in roughly one goal every 3 games.

This is the bloke that was player of the season last season, has been our top scorer for 2018/19, 2019/20 and currently for 2020/21. 

Of course he should be the top earner at the club. Give him a pissing contract.

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Kalas is on £27k, is slightly more than that for the past two seasons top goal scorer, this seasons top goal scorer,  and last years player of the year too OTT?

Arguably not, even if it is a crazy amount of money. 

30k for a striker that’s never hit more than 14 goals in a season here? Maybe it’s just me but it’s seems a hell of a lot of money, i don’t look at Famara and think he’s irreplaceable or anything particularly special albeit he’s hit a good patch of form 

Just now, Rob k said:

30k for a striker that’s never hit more than 14 goals in a season here? Maybe it’s just me but it’s seems a hell of a lot of money, i don’t look at Famara and think he’s irreplaceable or anything particularly special albeit he’s hit a good patch of form 

but he's consistently done it/will do it, I guess that's the argument. Assombalonga is on far more after scoring far less. I'd put a decent wager on Chris Martin being on a fair whack more than Fam currently is on and has a much worse record. Wells will be on even more than that, i'm sure.

Top scorers across the league, could argue Toney would be on less than £30k a week but I don't think many others would be less tbh. Not saying that's right & I don't disagree he's not worth £30k a week, but it's just the state of the league now. 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

but he's consistently done it/will do it, I guess that's the argument. Assombalonga is on far more after scoring far less. I'd put a decent wager on Chris Martin being on a fair whack more than Fam currently is on and has a much worse record. Wells will be on even more than that, i'm sure.

Top scorers across the league, could argue Toney would be on less than £30k a week but I don't think many others would be less tbh. Not saying that's right & I don't disagree he's not worth £30k a week, but it's just the state of the league now. 

Your probably right Pete to be fair 

1.5m a year in wages for a player to score 14 goals!! 100k a goal 

staggering 

3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

It is all relative isn’t it? Assombolonga has never netted more than 15 in a championship season yet is on 50-60k a week. I wonder what we are paying Wells? Point is he is our most productive and consistent striker and paying him even 30k a week is likely only like adding a 10-15k player on a free. Think Marley Watkins leaving in the summer basically covers the pay rise. 

I know covid and finances is a big discussion and one where I do not know where we stand. But I have been saying for awhile we should be focusing most of our budget on the first 14-15 players and using the academy and other young players to supplement the squad. With 11 OOC players in the summmer, we will be cutting a fair amount back already. I’d rather pay Fam closer to what he wants than bring in a journeyman on 12k a week like Martin again. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Bar BS3

Your £5m replacement fee and hefty contract point assumes that the market hasn't, at this level especially taken an enormous hit through Covid.

Well it has to date. The number out of contract, hitherto not renewed, decent players at this level (not just us, at this level) is huge. There is material uncertainty right across the board.

A few have signed pre contracts with foreign or Old Firm clubs, 2 more have renewed but this £5m replacement thing- I'm not wholly convinced.

A very valid point. 

Hard to know what the situation will be, but there's bound to be a big effect on lots of clubs. 

The issue mainly being losing out best striker, with no time left to sign a replacement. 

Yes, we have other options remaining, but none have proven themselves (with us) as worthy long term replacements for one of our senior first team players. 

It's difficult to say what we should do, with Diedhiou and others but the basic problem is these £30k, £50-60k mooted for Assombalonga were all signed in a normal world.

In a pre Pandemic world you might consider £30k per week for renewal of leading scorer but no fans since March 2020, a rejigged but not abolished FFP- this isn't a good combination at all for contract renewals using the normal mindset.

Wonder what % haircut players will need to take to renew it sign on with Championship clubs? Clubs might actually regain some of the power here.

Archived