IGNORED

The stats

Bassomylord

There seems to be a bit of a “you cannot criticise the tactics or the performance, without hating Bristol City and want them to lose” mentality developing on here.

I love this club with a passion and have done for 35 years and always will but I am very concerned with the pattern of performance recently and tonights match stats may go against the result, but its not sustainable to play like that.

I think everyone on here wants success for the club for personal, collective and sentimental reasons, but we also need to be considered and objective in our critique.

To win a game with those stats for a side with serious top 6 aspirations (and a stated public objective) is very unusual, even more so at home against a bottom half team in awful form.

Our approach from the second goal onwards was bordering desperation.

I’m sorry but it is true.

10 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Funn really, Huddersfiled fans might said there is another stat worth looking at which is league position. 

My preferred stat is based on who won. 2-1, love it and the same at Rooney Park would do nicely for me, even though probably not for many posters on here!

What a mature post. Well done!

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

There seems to be a bit of a “you cannot criticise the tactics or the performance, without hating Bristol City and want them to lose” mentality developing on here.

I love this club with a passion and have done for 35 years and always will but I am very concerned with the pattern of performance recently and tonights match stats may go against the result, but its not sustainable to play like that.

I think everyone on here wants success for the club for personal, collective and sentimental reasons, but we also need to be considered and objective in our critique.

To win a game with those stats for a side with serious top 6 aspirations (and a stated public objective) is very unusual, even more so at home against a bottom half team in awful form.

My only comment is how the **** did we win that. The only saving grace from tonight is that I shared my screen on Teams to watch the game with 2 old school mates of the best part of 35 years. But really how the **** did we win that.

1 hour ago, eardun said:

Talking of stats: after 25 games only 4 teams have won more than us. 

Interesting stat. 

The one thing with stats though, and this is not a knock on you @eardun, but in this day and age there are enough stats to 4nable you to play about with them, and make it relevant to what you want it to show.

League position at the end of the season is the biggest stat, however the shots for and against are shockingly bad for us. 

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

(First bolded part) That's genuinely not the case.

The comments about people "wanting the club to lose" aren't directed towards people making criticism that is actually thought out.

What you have said in the rest of your post is absolutely fair comment, and the performance pretty much from when Rowe went off was very poor.

However, that does not change that there are posters who turn up when we lose, or that there are people whose only criticisms are "we're shit, we're going to be relegated, Holden is a ****"

Those are the people those comments are aimed towards.

We can win a game and have concerns, certainly the fact we could not get a foothold in the game for more than 2 minutes in the second half is definitely one. 

The second bolded part is essentially my point, and I'd guess what @Marina's Rolls Royce was trying to argue with the thread they started. You'll likely find that considered and objective criticisms will get "likes" or "flames" from people like me and MRR because we (certainly I, I cannot speak for MRR) agree with the fact that the performance largely wasn't great, criticism isn't what is being objected to.

3 minutes ago, Taz said:

Interesting stat. 

The one thing with stats though, and this is not a knock on you @eardun, but in this day and age there are enough stats to 4nable you to play about with them, and make it relevant to what you want it to show.

League position at the end of the season is the biggest stat, however the shots for and against are shockingly bad for us. 

Agree - I just found it interesting when I looked at the table earlier. We’ve lost a lot too of course, but the fact that we are winning and not drawing many is keeping us up there. So not all doom and gloom - I’m actually quite impressed we are still only 3 points off the play offs and Bournemouth - but we do need the likes of Pato and even Williams hopefully giving us more options. We may also need a left back unless Sess can play on the left (back training in understand). 

3 minutes ago, eardun said:

Agree - I just found it interesting when I looked at the table earlier. We’ve lost a lot too of course, but the fact that we are winning and not drawing many is keeping us up there. So not all doom and gloom - I’m actually quite impressed we are still only 3 points off the play offs and Bournemouth - but we do need the likes of Pato and even Williams hopefully giving us more options. We may also need a left back unless Sess can play on the left (back training I understand). 

Same things happen each season.

Those concerned with how we play get told to shut up because we won, or that we’re near/in the play offs. Then the inevitable happens & we fall away when the going gets really tough towards the end of the season.

We will not get into the play offs playing the way we do. 

A couple of quality additions are needed, especially at full back.

3 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Funn really, Huddersfiled fans might said there is another stat worth looking at which is league position. 

My preferred stat is based on who won. 2-1, love it and the same at Rooney Park would do nicely for me, even though probably not for many posters on here!

Winning is a preferred stat, and no mistake- everyone on here wants us to win I'm sure (non City fan guests aside)- but there's also a strong argument that if you keep riding that wave, luck runs out and performances align with results- in this instance we stop winning!

Saw it last season, even first 11 games with 20 points, our performances were not looking that sustainable. 1st half tonight good or decent anyway- seemed to fall away a bit and understandably when Rowe got injured, 2nd half....well we win but God knows how!

5 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

pretty shocking.

Screenshot_20210126-205816_Samsung Internet.jpg

It looks like Huddersfield couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, convert possession into results etc.

Looks like City made it count.

Oh wait, I need to get with the program. Damn, City are shit.

In the end we held on when really we should have put the game out of sight, I mean knock in 4 or something as we looked capable. Instead we let them dominate and nearly lost a point if not all three, it wouldn’t have surprised me either. Did we even have a shot on target after Fams second?

8 hours ago, Malago said:

I agree.  3 points off the playoffs and in the 5th round of the FA cup.  Truly shocking.  Somebody should do something about it.

I said the stats were shocking, I wasnt talking about the 5th round of the FA cup or our league position, simply the 2nd half stats.

Stats create a new hobby and are more or less irrelevant compared to the scoreline. They looked good in their own penalty area despite their clown of a keeper and Dopey Old Keogh. The stats of successful passes in their own area really don't interest me nor Huddersfield fans who just want to know if they got in OUR penalty box or scored 

Best start of the night was they scored less than the team who score more. We had the best keeper, Cb and striker on the pitch - that's usually enough to win a game of football

2 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Stats create a new hobby and are more or less irrelevant compared to the scoreline. They looked good in their own penalty area despite their clown of a keeper and Dopey Old Keogh. The stats of successful passes in their own area really don't interest me nor Huddersfield fans who just want to know if they got in OUR penalty box or scored 

Best start of the night was they scored less than the team who score more. We had the best keeper, Cb and striker on the pitch - that's usually enough to win a game of football

Well said! Absolutely spot on.

It makes me smile when posters go on about stats......the only stat that matters is goals scored and goals conceded.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Winning obviously great, but the stats are concerning. Stats tend to be a good indicator of longer term results too.

Do they? 

Stats are different every match and are pretty meaningless. All last night stats did was confirm what we all knew that Huddersfield had more possession and shots on target but which team won the game?

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Winning obviously great, but the stats are concerning. Stats tend to be a good indicator of longer term results too. My concern is that we are effectively papering over the cracks with these sort of wins.

Every point counts I suppose.. 

I sort of agree but currently this view isn't supported.

Dean's winning stats, irrespective of what people think otherwise, are quite impressive.
This tends of negate the 'longer term' argument.
However, stuff like this needs to be broken down into chunks of say 5 to 10 games and injuries do need to be taken into account.
It all comes down to context and considering other feed in factors to results.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Do they? 

Stats are different every match and are pretty meaningless. All last night stats did was confirm what we all knew that Huddersfield had more possession and shots on target but which team won the game?

Don't start this shite again!

Meaningless? May as well lump all player stats in that category as well then.

You don't do stats, we get that but they are clearly not meaningless.

If someone didn't see the game, looked at the score then the stats, they would probably come to the conclusion that we were fortunate to win given the amount of possession and shots the opposition had.

They are not the be all and end all of analytics but they have their place. Why does practically everyone use them? You can't tell me DH thinks our amount of possession or shots are meaningless and he only cares about goals?

44 minutes ago, grifty said:

It does come across a lot of people on here would have preferred the game to be reversed last night and for us to have lost but as long as we created 25 shots at goal.

We can only dream of having 25 shots at goal. We got lucky last night, we may not get so lucky against Brentford next week.

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Do they? 

With all respect, many of your recent posts on anything have indicated that you believe formations are meaningless as now are stats.

I think over the course of the history of football everything indicates otherwise.

7 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

With all respect, many of your recent posts on anything have indicated that you believe formations are meaningless as now are stats.

I think over the course of the history of football everything indicates otherwise.

Football has evolved almost beyond recognition including the amount of different stats that are available these days.

Now I think that individual player stats recorded in each game ( that we fans are not privy to ) are a wonderful addition to the beautiful game and of tremendous benefit to all concerned but I don’t believe for one second that Deano and his staff bother to look at the overall match stats, possession , shots on target etc etc to know what they’d  all seen with their own eyes and why I think  there pretty meaningless. Can anyone convince me that overall match stats actually matter?

We all know that the only match stat that matters is goals for and goals conceded.

Archived