IGNORED

Kalas Interview

Lenners

Very much in line with the thoughts of those of us who are supposedly “willing us on to fail” post match.

Happy with the result, but the performances aren’t sustainable. We aren’t willing us onto fail, we’re worried because if you keep churning out these sorts of shite performances we’ll fall away just as we do every single year.

In serious need of a new midfield. I can’t remember the last time we controlled a game for 90 mins.

16 minutes ago, Lenners said:

Very much in line with the thoughts of those of us who are supposedly “willing us on to fail” post match.

Agreed, great interview, honest assessment from Thomas. As he puts it, such a performance after going 2 up so early 'shouldn't be happening'.

Really good interview from Kalas - said exactly what I wanted/needed to hear.

And at least Holden admitted that Huddersfield deserved to win - now listen to the skipper and coach them so that second halves like that, and others previously, doesn't happen again.

12 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Great interview. Finally some honesty and realism! 

Not to deny it's a good interview, but Holden has much the same sentiment in his Twitter interview too; I'd guessed the bold quote was suggesting he doesn't give that?

47 minutes ago, Lenners said:

Happy with the result, but the performances aren’t sustainable. We aren’t willing us onto fail, we’re worried because if you keep churning out these sorts of shite performances we’ll fall away just as we do every single year.

In serious need of a new midfield. I can’t remember the last time we controlled a game for 90 mins.

Can’t disagree . We have to be able to get a foothold in a game when we start to come under pressure like we did tonight . We were so deep at times or midfield we’re right on top of our back line 

Got to remember that we had an extremely inexperienced central midfield today. Bakinson has only emerged this season and you can probably count on one hand the number of games Vyner has played in midfield. I think that will have had a bearing. They’ll learn from this though. 

8 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Not to deny it's a good interview, but Holden has much the same sentiment in his Twitter interview too; I'd guessed the bold quote was suggesting he doesn't give that?

It was aimed at Dave Barton and the media team to be honest. Dressing it up like we’ve been on good form previously.

Was nice to hear the honesty from TK in his reply.

18 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

With who?  Himself?  The rest of the team?  Did he take any responsibility as Captain for what happened?  I didn’t hear the interview, so genuine questions.

I’ve watched it and don’t think he looks livid at all. He’s very frank that the team need to improve but it’s not a negative interview and certainly not him blaming teammates.

It is basically him saying a win is good but the performances can be much better, that the team started brilliantly but then made the game harder than it needed to be and he wants the team to improve.

I don’t think there is anything there either the club, Holden or any of his teammates would be unhappy with. It is just a player setting out high standard for himself and his teammates.

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’ve watched it and don’t think he looks livid at all. He’s very frank that the team need to improve but it’s not a negative interview and certainly not him blaming teammates.

It is basically him saying a win is good but the performances can be much better, that the team started brilliantly but then made the game harder than it needed to be and he wants the team to improve.

I don’t think there is anything there either the club, Holden or any of his teammates would be unhappy with. It is just a player setting out high standard for himself and his teammates.

I think one or two are being a bit “liberal” in their interpretation of Kalas’s interview, and are implying that TK’s words are somehow a veiled criticism of Dean Holden.

I've listened to it and my take ( for what it’s worth) is that having gone 2 up Huddersfield in essence threw caution to the wind, as they had nothing to lose. As a result they put us under pressure and to “cope” with this pressure we dropped deep, but then could not get out of our defensive third. He said that no individual is to blame but the collective ( my interpretation being that the collective is the team)

We used to have the same thing under LJ where many fans interpreted the team dropping ever deeper to protect a slender lead as being instructions from the coach, and I think that a few critical posts imply this was the case tonight. I thought that Kalas made it clear that defending deeper was caused by the players’ reaction to Huddersfield pressure, not any instruction from pitchside.

I was only able to watch the first 25 minutes (lucky me!) so didn;t see the change in the game thereafter, but reading comments on here it seems we suffered from some of the same problems we’ve had in the past. Firstly, we stop doing the things that got us on top in the first place, and secondly, our front players just don’t seem able to hold the ball up in order to give the midfield some respite from defending and to be able to exert pressure last the other end of the pitch. I can’t believe that DH coaches the players to play well, get a lead and then completely change the way they play. Either can I believe that he coaches the strikers to fail to control the ball and hold it up until support arrives.

P.S. I’ve read a few posters suggesting that some on here are wanting the team to fail. I don’t think that is the case, but I do think there are some that want Dean Holden to fail, which is not quite the same thing.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I've read a few posters suggesting that some on here are wanting the team to fail. I don’t think that is the case, but I do think there are some that want Dean Holden to fail, which is not quite the same thing.

That's probably a fair comment, although Holden failing would mean the club fails.

So hoping the former fails means you're hoping the latter fails by proxy.

8 hours ago, downendcity said:

I think one or two are being a bit “liberal” in their interpretation of Kalas’s interview, and are implying that TK’s words are somehow a veiled criticism of Dean Holden.

I've listened to it and my take ( for what it’s worth) is that having gone 2 up Huddersfield in essence threw caution to the wind, as they had nothing to lose. As a result they put us under pressure and to “cope” with this pressure we dropped deep, but then could not get out of our defensive third. He said that no individual is to blame but the collective ( my interpretation being that the collective is the team)

We used to have the same thing under LJ where many fans interpreted the team dropping ever deeper to protect a slender lead as being instructions from the coach, and I think that a few critical posts imply this was the case tonight. I thought that Kalas made it clear that defending deeper was caused by the players’ reaction to Huddersfield pressure, not any instruction from pitchside.

I was only able to watch the first 25 minutes (lucky me!) so didn;t see the change in the game thereafter, but reading comments on here it seems we suffered from some of the same problems we’ve had in the past. Firstly, we stop doing the things that got us on top in the first place, and secondly, our front players just don’t seem able to hold the ball up in order to give the midfield some respite from defending and to be able to exert pressure last the other end of the pitch. I can’t believe that DH coaches the players to play well, get a lead and then completely change the way they play. Either can I believe that he coaches the strikers to fail to control the ball and hold it up until support arrives.

P.S. I’ve read a few posters suggesting that some on here are wanting the team to fail. I don’t think that is the case, but I do think there are some that want Dean Holden to fail, which is not quite the same thing.

Good post . There is a team trying to beat us don’t forget . They were very expansive and pinned us back . Yes we dropped too deep but not under instruction. Most games are won & lost in midfield . People have to remember how inexperienced our midfield was last night. There was no older head to put his foot on the ball and start to dictate . We had vyner & Bakinson in there and we got overran . They were playing through and down the sides of us with clever movment. Going 433 seemed to stem the flow for a few minutes of them playing through us but we’re then getting around the back of us . We got lots to work on no doubt , but Huddersfield were very good . Sometimes you have to credit the opposition . 

9 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

With who?  Himself?  The rest of the team?  Did he take any responsibility as Captain for what happened?  I didn’t hear the interview, so genuine questions.

Kalas is an absolute diamond of a player and a person, we are lucky to have him, and we should do everything we can to keep him at the club. It was instinctive to keep dropping so deep, in the face of pressure, the problem stemmed from the midfield being over run, we need a stronger and more organised midfield to prevent our defence being so stretched.  However, the backline stood up very well, with blocks and commitment to the cause keeping our lead intact.  

But we cannot continue to manage our games so poorly, as we got away with it tonight, but on another occasion we could have conceded 1 or 2 more goals, and it would have been a different result.  Holden needs to select a stronger and more balanced midfield if possible, and hopefully with the returning players,  he will be able to soon.  I would settle for a point at Derby ,but our February fixtures look daunting?

Archived