IGNORED

Dean Holden - City managerial record

ollywhyte

Say what you want about our admittedly unconvincing style of play... despite being in his first managerial stint and stung by injuries to key players throughout the squad - there is no denying the fact Dean's managerial record as City manager is extremely impressive so far. 

Team From To Record
P W D L Win %

Bristol City 5 July 2020 Present 35 18 5 12 51.4

Well in Deano - keep up the good work! I for one am right behind you.

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

It’s a good win % considering the injuries. I think serious questions have to be asked about how his record will hold up long term if we continue to play as we are though. 

If the players coming back don’t improve the midfield then we will only head one way I think. 

I guess we will wait and see. He obviously won't be sacked. It's a result based business, he has the results!

When or if we don't win for a few games I expect the pre sharpened axe will fall. Until then we will ride the covid storm not spending big bucks on players or manager. 

It's should put is in a good position regarding FFP when half the league is in administration and we can roll the dice. 

I'd be happier if he came out and said, we plan to sit on any 2 goal advantage and that we just went 2 up too early (but the lads still held out)

Personally I think he has done OK in very difficult circumstances and those who constantly snipe at him from the sidelines are really beginning to p me off. There was one of the regular Holden out threads a while back where a city ‘supporter’ was suggesting we would be lucky to avoid relegation unless he went immediately. Yet still we sit just outside the play offs collecting points on a regular basis. 
I certainly don’t think he has got it ‘right’ yet and I do think the team needs to  create a more cohesive unit but some of the hysterical posts on here are just absurd. Sometimes I think people on here forget there are two sides playing a football match and the other side is also trying to win. 
He was not my preferred choice when Johnson left but considering this is his first managers job he has done well and supporters should give him and the team a break. 

46 minutes ago, Capman said:

Personally I think he has done OK in very difficult circumstances and those who constantly snipe at him from the sidelines are really beginning to p me off. There was one of the regular Holden out threads a while back where a city ‘supporter’ was suggesting we would be lucky to avoid relegation unless he went immediately. Yet still we sit just outside the play offs collecting points on a regular basis. 
I certainly don’t think he has got it ‘right’ yet and I do think the team needs to  create a more cohesive unit but some of the hysterical posts on here are just absurd. Sometimes I think people on here forget there are two sides playing a football match and the other side is also trying to win. 
He was not my preferred choice when Johnson left but considering this is his first managers job he has done well and supporters should give him and the team a break. 

? ? ? 

39 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

He has my full support, but please can we have some attractive football soon!!

You had it....minutes 1-28 tonight. ?

2 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Say what you want about our admittedly unconvincing style of play... despite being in his first managerial stint and stung by injuries to key players throughout the squad - there is no denying the fact Dean's managerial record as City manager is extremely impressive so far. 

Team From To Record
P W D L Win %

Yeah but, no but.

Didn't applaud the decision to bring him in as manager, but he's here, and he appears to be doing the business.

Well done Dean.

6 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Team From To Record
P W D L Win %

If only our three wins against lower division teams counted in the league

Complete train wreck of a season due to COVID just be happy to still be at this level once we get back to normal, mind you can’t believe we’re only 3pts off top 6 with recent performances.

Hats off to Dean getting results with the injuries he’s had is impressive, deserves another season for me if we mainly carry on as we have been.

Well the saying goes 'playing badly and winning is a sign of a good team'  - and likewise a good manager. 

We have played well for parts of games and Dean has brought on young players more than any previous manager in the Championship.  Some of the backs to the wall wins have been painful to watch but are also down to a very good team spirit and players who are playing for Dean and his coaching team.   I believe he is a very good man manager of young and older players alike and much better than LJ in that regard. The amount of points picked up against the odds is no coincidence and that's a good starting base to improve from. 

I feel much more comfortable and in tune with the Club having a quietly determined and very likeable manager than having the likes of Pulis or O'Driscoll at the helm.  He's getting decent results in a very difficult context and will get better and more consistent performances over time from both experience on his part and the young players as well as injured players such as Joe Williams returning.  

7 hours ago, Capman said:

Well said Sir

For a first full season, it's pretty good going (even better than his predecessor's first full season here), from a points/league position point of view. 

After 25 games, we're just three points/one win behind parachute payment Bournemouth (who also have a "green" head coach stepping up). 

The quality/entertainment isn't there (Bournemouth +17 to our 0) but with the injuries we've had we must be encouraged by being in the mix. Although, playing like last night at home too often will not be popular. The Dolman will empty even earlier than usual.

The challenge for Deano now is the same as the last three seasons: how to stay in contention at the business end and avoid falling away as the finish line comes in to view.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

? ? ? 

You had it....minutes 1-28 tonight. ?

Correct.

I don't record every significant incident in a game as you may do. But if we had taken two extremely good chances in the first ten minutes, and one immediately after half time, the second half would have been a non event at 5-0. I know that if Wells had scored in first minute, the game would have taken a different pattern and the other four might not have happened.

There was a Wells header in first minute.

At approx 10 minutes a move on the right side ending with a poor shot with two unmarked City attackers in front of goal.

Then two goals.

In first minute of second half, Semenyo was clear of all defenders going one on one with their keeper, and he miscontrolled the ball and let their keeper have it.

At 5-0 with the whole second half, it would have been a stroll in the park.

Pro footballers will fight like hell to come back from 2-0 down. But at 5-0, away from home, they will just try to ensure it doesn't get worse.

Football is like real life. "If only" situations exist all the time and last night's match was a perfect example. The awful second half performance would never have happened. We are good enough to have a realistic chance of promotion but we are not clinical enough to grab it.

9 hours ago, Capman said:

Don't be coming on here with your balanced and well-reasoned argument. This is neither the time nor the place. 

12 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Team From To Record
P W D L Win %

Pro rata points per game that would be 77 over a full season of 46. 5th or 6th place. 

5 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

Well the saying goes 'playing badly and winning is a sign of a good team'  - and likewise a good manager. 

We have played well for parts of games and Dean has brought on young players more than any previous manager in the Championship.  Some of the backs to the wall wins have been painful to watch but are also down to a very good team spirit and players who are playing for Dean and his coaching team.   I believe he is a very good man manager of young and older players alike and much better than LJ in that regard. The amount of points picked up against the odds is no coincidence and that's a good starting base to improve from. 

I feel much more comfortable and in tune with the Club having a quietly determined and very likeable manager than having the likes of Pulis or O'Driscoll at the helm.  He's getting decent results in a very difficult context and will get better and more consistent performances over time from both experience on his part and the young players as well as injured players such as Joe Williams returning.  

In the summer, how many would have anticipated players like Vyner, Bakinson and Semenyo playing fairly major roles this season?

OK so some of that was due to the injury list that has plagued the season, but I’d be surprised if a manager such as Hughton would have played them over the more experienced players we did have available.

That these players have been bloodied when we’ve been struggling to put a team together, let alone play our best 11, means they will almost certainly have learned more and developed better than they would with another season out on loan in league 1 or 2. The coaching team will also have learned much more about the players than would have been the case had they been playing out on loan.

Yes, of course they have their weaknesses, but when other players do return from injury they face real competition for places as these 3 have already shown that they are fully deserving of selection. It could be argued that with all players available, and DH being able to pick a full strength team, they will perform even better with the best players in the best formation.

The sign of a good team is one that mostly plays well, and sometimes has to win ugly when it has an off day.

On that basis, we are certainly not a good team, and our manager cannot yet be said to be good either given that we have far more off days than days when we play even half decent football.   

I accept that the results have been okay - not great for sure, but acceptable.  I don't think many will argue though that we are lucky to be where we in the league and that's the concern.  Keep playing the way we are and we will not be anywhere near contention come the beginning of April.   

I keep hoping that we have turned a corner when we get glimpses that we are coherent and can string some passes together.  Preston was a great case in point - we played well and actually deserved to win.  That's the Bristol City we know we can be and even if we didn't win that game I'd have been happy with that performance.  We were competitive, tactically sound, creative and worked well together.      

Unfortunately it seems to be one step forward, two steps back.  Against Norwich we were awful, at Milwall we got a lucky second and got a result but were mostly outplayed by their second eleven, and last night was excruciating except for the terrible defending that let Fam in for the first and the flash of brilliance that got us the second. 

I'm excited to get some players back, especially in Midfield where we have been massively lacking, and I want to give Dean the benefit of the doubt but he does need to find a bit more tactical nouse very soon and actually get us on that front foot that he keeps talking about.  

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

If someone had told me Dasilva, Williams, Walsh, Weimann, Paterson and O'Dowda would all be out injured for many months or most of the season then I would expect us to be mid to lower table. And Mawson was out for some time too. 

Holden has done a good job overall so far imo. A fully fit squad and we'd be doing quite a bit better.

This wasn’t the case when our good friend Lee Johnson was the gaffer ?

3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Don't be coming on here with your balanced and well-reasoned argument. This is neither the time nor the place. 

Don’t be coming on here with your criticism of a balanced and well-reasoned argument. This is neither the time nor the place.

Oops, I’ve just criticised your criticism of a balanced and well-reasoned argument.

Sorry, it’s not the time or place.

I don't think anyone is disappointed with the points gained or the position we sit and recognise this has been achieved with a terrible injury crisis which has also impacted the ability to rotate the squad with the number of game demands.

The frustration is down to some of the poor performances generally around the tactics and being dominated by other teams, when Holden came in he promised attacking football, but we had game after game where we barely created chances. He also stated he would continue to attack and not sit back on a lead, yet last night again, as soon as we went 2 up and Huddersfield were there for the taking, we started getting deeper and deeper, but even after surviving to half time and the pressure building even more in the 2nd half, changes were not made until after we conceded and even then it looked like we would let in the equaliser before the changes were made.

DH needs to send out the players with instructions what he wants if we go ahead or learn a way of making the changes required to impact the game rather than being reactive.

I hope DH is successful and getting players back will help, but he also needs to show a bit more know how when its not going to plan.

His record doesn't lie and especially  considering his total lack of experience but in a covid slanted season it's bound to be distorted. I honestly think we'd be in a better situation if we had stuck with Lee Johnson.

At least that bloke had some idea of what he was doing.

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

A sign of a good team is beating other good teams. We have 2 points from 21 against the teams above us.

Yep, absolutely, but I’d settle for an anomaly season where we sneak 6th based on an exemplar record against all the lower teams! ???

The question is why are teams above us not being some of the teams we are!!!

76A2BFBE-E8B1-4689-9898-C39F6C28CF8A.jpeg

A560EB22-CE92-4396-A35C-85A33103B122.jpeg

224B0556-EC7B-44D7-BF4A-0FE8C1FFD0B9.jpeg

Those draws are the big difference imho.

I wouldn't claim, as the OP does, it's a FACT that Holden's record is extremely impressive. That's an opinion.

We've all debated win ratio's before. It tells only a small part of the story. 

Taken in isolation, the win ratio is good, yes. The loss ratio is not good though. However he has achieved it, 8th in the table currently, is probably, a par score.

Yes he's had to contend with some serious injuries, but he also inherited a squad that finished solidly in the top half for the last 4 seasons, not a relegation team, he was able to hit the ground running. A squad that BTW probably cost over £30m to put together. He's not starting from scratch.

The frustrating thing for me is, despite not being my choice, I like Dean and want him to succeed. I really do. When the football's good, it's good. But when it's bad, it really is and I don't think injuries are the only reason.

As with LJ, you judge on the league table, at the end of the season...we all know what the aim is, let's see then. Look the manager is getting the season, so any Holden out chat is pointless. But like everyone in football, you're not free from critics, part and parcel. 

On 26/01/2021 at 23:35, ollywhyte said:

Team From To Record
P W D L Win %

Keep up the good work!

On 27/01/2021 at 07:27, bcfcnick said:

That only applies to teams that achieve success!

On 27/01/2021 at 13:08, SouthS22 said:

The sign of a good team is one that mostly plays well, and sometimes has to win ugly when it has an off day.

Exactly

On 27/01/2021 at 13:09, Prinny said:

A sign of a good team is beating other good teams. We have 2 points from 21 against the teams above us.

That helps too, especially if you want to achieve play offs!

Archived