IGNORED

That’s not far away from our best 11

Better Red

We are waiting for the cavalry to arrive with the return of the well documented injured masses.

But the reality is that tonight team was pretty much our best 11.

I would say 7 out of the 11 would be in most people’s best 11.

Goalkeeper, 2 centre half’s, RB and the front 3 - that makes 7 of the 11. 

D’Silva, Williams and Pato to come in but that is pretty much it.

Yes the squad will be deeper that will help but the starting 11 is going to have to improve massively with the addition of these 3.

Rowe has been pretty solid. We have not seen Williams play and Pato, that’s pretty much it.

I am not saying they won’t improve the team. But will they take this team to the next level? I am not so sure.

We played a pretty average team tonight and got outplayed and at times it was embarrassing.

We will also loose Fammy in the Summer.

We need a real good look at our recruitment and need to have a look at the type of players we bring in.

Other teams look quicker, better on the ball and fitter. Must have looked better than us and certainly look more attacking and entertaining.

under Cotts we plundered L1 and did pretty well from it. We brought in mobile, technically good and hungry players. 

Yes we will compete with other teams for their signatures.

But in a time when all clubs are hit by Covid we will never have a better chance to get the better players into the club.

If we don’t address it then the results will not continue to get us out of trouble. The performances will come back to bite us and will be reflected the points tally.

Its going to a big summer for the club.

I’m sorry but to say that losing more than a third of your first team is ‘not far away from our best 11’ seems to me to be slightly unfair. 
Having said that I agree the summer is important and getting recruitment right is vital to success in the seasons to come. I also agree that city need to be quicker and better on the ball. I am not going to be critical of Holden because I think he needs time. But he needs to decide how he wants his team to play and bring in the players capable of playing that way. 
It has felt to me for a few seasons that city worry to much about the opposition. The best teams decide how they want to play and play that system well. They do not constantly change to try and outwit the tactics of the next team they have to play. 

24 minutes ago, Better Red said:

We are waiting for the cavalry to arrive with the return of the well documented injured masses.

Yes the squad will be deeper that will help but the starting 11 is going to have to improve massively with the addition of these 3.

Rowe has been pretty solid. We have not seen Williams play and Pato, that’s pretty much it.

I am not saying they won’t improve the team. But will they take this team to the next level? I am not so sure.

We played a pretty average team tonight and got outplayed and at times it was embarrassing.

We need a real good look at our recruitment and need to have a look at the type of players we bring in.

Other teams look quicker, better on the ball and fitter. Must have looked better than us and certainly look more attacking and entertaining.

under Cotts we plundered L1 and did pretty well from it. We brought in mobile, technically good and hungry players. 

But in a time when all clubs are hit by Covid we will never have a better chance to get the better players into the club.

If we don’t address it then the results will not continue to get us out of trouble. The performances will come back to bite us and will be reflected the points tally.

You were better when you were @Dog

Bored of the negative post after negative post from you.  Try to post something positive. 

The ability to find a way to win/get points from matches where you have been under the cosh for large parts of the game should never be under-estimated.  I actually get great satisifaction from the games where we have at times been outplayed, in terms of possession and attempts on goal, because we can look at the opposition and think "you gave it everything but still couldn't even manage a draw".  

We defended brilliantly, and I have to say would have been more comfortable if we had "managed" the game further up the pitch. But this is a results business and I  thought that was a brilliant win, in some ways doing it with a low possession percentage makes it sweeter.  When we beat Preston easily, obviously most were happy because we just dominated a good team that we made to look poor.

I have seen too many games following City to get to know the feeling of so-called "deserving to get something from a game" , and having the opposition manager giving us plaudits for our style of play when we have lost 2-0.  The defeat at Norwich was the most disappointing of recent games because we didn't show up, if we had defended as resolutely in that game we would probably have got a point from the game.  Many fans, me especially, often moan about our lack of street-wise/dark arts approach but , whilst we all have to ackowledge the fact that it was a backs-to-the-wall performance last night, and we need to address the fact that the performance of the midfield needs to be scrutinized, that was a huge satisfying win.

8 hours ago, Better Red said:

And yet we’re in the 5th round of the FACup and three points off the play-offs.  How do you account for that then?

Just now, JonDolman said:

The amount of energy Dasilva, Paterson, Weimann, O'Dowda and Williams could have given us. Last night is not even close to what we could look if those players were fit and available.

Also, if we were to play three at the back it doesn't get too much better with Kalas, Mawson, Baker.

I do have some sympathy with the view that the team won't necessarily be that much better when the cavalry arrives. 

It has become Holden's mantra that we need to hang in there until the injured players come back. I'm not sure how much truth there is in that. 

There are probably no strikers coming back as AW seems likely to be out until next season. COD has only recently been injured and I wouldn't pick him anyway. 

Apart from JD and possibly Williams I can't see the first 11 getting much stronger than it is now when the walking wounded return. 

you need all the players you have to make a real challenge so dean can rotate and keep the boys hungry and fit. The one i am desperate to see is Williams as sometimes one player can change the dynamics of a side and i hope he can be the midfield general we been waiting for, look and manu with Fernandes

16 minutes ago, big dosser said:

you need all the players you have to make a real challenge so dean can rotate and keep the boys hungry and fit. The one i am desperate to see is Williams as sometimes one player can change the dynamics of a side and i hope he can be the midfield general we been waiting for, look and manu with Fernandes

We can see to some extent how much a difference Mawson has made.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

And yet we’re in the 5th round of the FACup and three points off the play-offs.  How do you account for that then?

Luck.

When we lose it's bad management and a club run by jokers bringing in sub-standard players who are stealing a living and don't want to play for the shirt.

When we win or draw, it's just luck. Simple.

We've just been very lucky to be lucky 15 times in 25 games this season. (And three times out of four in the cups).

5 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Luck.

When we lose it's bad management and a club run by jokers bringing in sub-standard players who are stealing a living and don't want to play for the shirt.

When we win or draw, it's just luck. Simple.

We've just been very lucky to be lucky 15 times in 25 games this season. (And three times out of four in the cups).

Can't remember who it was but there was a post on here the other day that said we've only deserved to win 3 games this season. I'm not sure where you start with that.

7 out of 11 still leaves 4, a third of the team. Plus those players back could allow us to revert to Holden's favoured shape , if it still is. Take the 2 CMF from any side in this division and replace them with academy players in their first year, be interesting to see if the top 6 would be the same. 
I think we will see an improvement , how much remains to be seen.

At times this year we've had..

3 first choice CBs out.
5  MFs out
6 LB/WBs out
2 RBs out

I've got a slightly different slant on this. On any given day you could put an argument together than the players coming back from injury won't significantly improve on the players who have been playing recently.

However what I see, is a group of talented players playing at the moment, but they're missing experience, stamina, and are prone to sloppy mistakes. A number of times I saw Vyner and Bakinson give the ball away when a more experienced player would be able to hold the ball, draw a foul or actually make the successful pass. Too many times the ball was being given back to Huddersfield due to tiredness\naivety\wrong choice. This isn't a moan at their ability but just a fact that they're liable to have lower percentages in their passing and decision making, and that will come with time and more games.

What we'll see with the returning players is a higher percentage of them keeping the ball rather than giving it back to the opposition. We don't see a lot of end product from ODowda from a scoring perspective, but what he does do well is keep the ball, dribble with it and get fouls drawn against him. Again last night, Semenyo (who I think is brilliant), had a couple of breaks, but he gave the ball back cheaply when we had numbers forward. That will come over time, but at the moment it's inviting the opposition back onto us.

Overall, yes there's a case to say the returning players aren't necessarily the cavalry, but they'll bring that extra experience and know how to keep us further up the pitch with how they use the ball.

It isn't just a case of saying that players returning would go into the first choice XI and markedly improve it, because not all of them necessarily would. But what it would do is give us more options to rotate, rest and change a game with what's on the bench, as well as go with different things for specific opposition. At the moment there isn't a huge amount of scope to do that.

Bentley 

Vyner        Kalas       Mawson

Hunt                                                     DaSilva

Williams             Nagy

Palmer                     Paterson

Wells

That is a decent starting 11 & you could easily argue the case for a few players. Good energy levels, can all handle the ball, decent height throughout the team & would have good options off the bench. Would like to see more real pace, but that is something we lack in the squad generally.  COYR 

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Bentley 

Vyner        Kalas       Mawson

Hunt                                                     DaSilva

Williams             Nagy

Palmer                     Paterson

Wells

That is a decent starting 11 & you could easily argue the case for a few players. Good energy levels, can all handle the ball, decent height throughout the team & would have good options off the bench. Would like to see more real pace, but that is something we lack in the squad generally.  COYR 

I’d love to see that, perhaps Bakinson or Nagy or Massengo, partnering Willians....or Walsh when he’s fit.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’d love to see that, perhaps Bakinson or Nagy or Massengo, partnering Willians....or Walsh when he’s fit.

I’d like to see high intensity in there. So with those options, you could really keep a freshness in the group ( injuries permitting!). Get Palmer & Paterson into those little pockets of space & on the ball. Then get Wells on the shoulders of the centre backs. Could be entertaining at the very least. COYR 

5 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Can't remember who it was but there was a post on here the other day that said we've only deserved to win 3 games this season. I'm not sure where you start with that.

You start by just going past that particular post and poster and forgetting you ever saw it!!!

14 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

The ability to find a way to win/get points from matches where you have been under the cosh for large parts of the game should never be under-estimated.  I actually get great satisifaction from the games where we have at times been outplayed, in terms of possession and attempts on goal, because we can look at the opposition and think "you gave it everything but still couldn't even manage a draw".  

We defended brilliantly, and I have to say would have been more comfortable if we had "managed" the game further up the pitch. But this is a results business and I  thought that was a brilliant win, in some ways doing it with a low possession percentage makes it sweeter.  When we beat Preston easily, obviously most were happy because we just dominated a good team that we made to look poor.

I have seen too many games following City to get to know the feeling of so-called "deserving to get something from a game" , and having the opposition manager giving us plaudits for our style of play when we have lost 2-0.  The defeat at Norwich was the most disappointing of recent games because we didn't show up, if we had defended as resolutely in that game we would probably have got a point from the game.  Many fans, me especially, often moan about our lack of street-wise/dark arts approach but , whilst we all have to ackowledge the fact that it was a backs-to-the-wall performance last night, and we need to address the fact that the performance of the midfield needs to be scrutinized, that was a huge satisfying win.

Do you really want to pay £600 for a season ticket to watch a last 60 mins like last night?

17 hours ago, Better Red said:

The issue is that we are missing our complete first choice midfield. Which is why we get over run....Nagy has done a job bug is limited and in my opinion neither Bakinson or massengo are yet good enough.

Assuming Holden wants to use his 5-3-2, our best 11 could be:

Bents: Hunt-Mariappa-Mawson-Kalas-Dasilva: Williams-Weimann-Nagy: Fam-Wells.

More difficult than I expected. No Vyner, Baker, Walsh, Pato or Semenyo. 

So for my 11 - 6 started last night. So not that close to our first XI.

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Do you really want to pay £600 for a season ticket to watch a last 60 mins like last night?

I am always there before kick off, so I am (when we are in the stadium at least, and on Robins TV these days) paying to watch 90 minutes.  If they were to produce that result often enough to get promoted I would pay treble that.  I know that I may be in a minority but, too me, results are everything. 

We used to moan, when Danny Wilson and others down the years were in charge, about how we played pretty football but could not grind out results when it really mattered.  Last night, performance wise, we had a decent 1st 25-30 minutes.  During that time we had a superb passage of play that put us 2 goals up.   To win the game we have to defend that lead, which we did.  Of course I would have preferred Semenyo to control that ball early in the 2nd half and put us 3-0 up and pretty much finished them off, but by brilliant defending we got the 3 points.  That is the only thing that matters, any assessment of how we obtained the result is down to the coaching staff, but that was no fluke, it was brilliant defending.  We have done the same against Cardiff and Forest this season.  

I am surprised (well not really its always been this way) by the number of fans that seem to want pretty football at the expense of winning games or picking up points any which way we can.  The result is all that matters, the reason for watching competitive football.  If that's not the case we might as well just watch testimonial matches and friendlies with the odd jolly in the cup thrown in for good measure. If we have another 8 or 9 games like to produce enough points to win promotion or to get in to the play-offs to have a shot a promotion  I will be absolutely chuffed. My nervous system would be in a right state, but I would, as Kevin Keegan once said, love it!

20 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

You were better when you were @Dog

Bored of the negative post after negative post from you.  Try to post something positive. 

Thanks for feedback....

Let me help you with understanding how this forum works. 

You post something to start debate. Then other people add there thoughts.

what they don’t do it’s just a act like a spoilt child - I don’t like your posts bla, bla, bla...

I apologise if it’s because you are not very bright and find it difficult to form your own opinions. 

If you watched the game you would know why I posted. But again maybe you are not bright enough to fill in the blanks.

But as they say feedback it’s a gift so thank you again.

Archived