IGNORED

"As I say" when I haven’t said!!

Paul Cheesey

10 hours ago, The Bard said:

It's come from Australia and is a clear attempt to gain the upper hand in the interview. Michael Clarke used to do it all the time.

It's irritating as hell. You just want the interviewer to listen and then say " I've listened and you didn't answer my question " 

I thought the standard Aussie reposte was “look” rather than “listen” - I could be incorrect though ...

1 hour ago, soultrader said:

Moving forward 

An unnecessary solution to an non-existent problem

What's the matter with "from now on" this is an adequate description of whats intended rather than creating an image of an articulated truck reversing, then stopping, changing gear and then going in the opposite direction.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

The football one that I've noticed creeping in is "we are in a good moment". I'm sure it started with one of the foreign managers in the PL speaking in slightly broken English, but now you've got British managers using it as well.

It's German.

'At the moment' is 'in this moment' in German.

1 hour ago, The dastardly red said:

I used to count the amount of "if you likes" we'd get in each LJ interview, then I'd log the details in a special note book I have. 

Now that you've had time to process the data, what conclusions have you drawn from the experiment?

The one that gets me the most.

When someone says ..... it's what I call a [commonly used name of thing] ...

Yes, you and everyone else calls it that mate.

Used to work with a woman who would constantly tell me the pile of papers on her desk, were what she called "invoices", which she further emphasised with air quotes.

Yes Marilyn, they are invoices, it says INVOICE at the top of each piece of paper.  Your job is to enter invoices into the system.

No one would ever think they are anything other than a pile of invoices.

It did make me wonder if there had been a spate of people in the office mistaking her piles of invoices for Cheese Crackers or a bottle of Chablis.   Although, at that office, it wouldn't have surprised me.

1 hour ago, soultrader said:

The one that gets me the most.

When someone says ..... it's what I call a [commonly used name of thing] ...

Yes, you and everyone else calls it that mate.

Used to work with a woman who would constantly tell me the pile of papers on her desk, were what she called "invoices", which she further emphasised with air quotes.

Yes Marilyn, they are invoices, it says INVOICE at the top of each piece of paper.  Your job is to enter invoices into the system.

No one would ever think they are anything other than a pile of invoices.

It did make me wonder if there had been a spate of people in the office mistaking her piles of invoices for Cheese Crackers or a bottle of Chablis.   Although, at that office, it wouldn't have surprised me.

Sounds like a female David Brent

On 27/01/2021 at 19:26, AppyDAZE said:

Slightly unrelated, but when a commentator shouts "it's hit the post" when we are ******* watching the game on TV.

Noooooo, did it?

Actually, just as quite a lot of blind people go to live matches (or used to before this awful virus arrived) so as to experience the atmosphere, I daresay a fair number also watch matches on television.

In relation to the original subject, however, it always amazes me how many players, when giving their first interview upon signing for their new club, say 'As soon as I heard of (insert name of new club) interest I wanted to come here.

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Actually, just as quite a lot of blind people go to live matches (or used to before this awful virus arrived) so as to experience the atmosphere, I daresay a fair number also watch matches on television.

In relation to the original subject, however, it always amazes me how many players, when giving their first interview upon signing for their new club, say 'As soon as I heard of (insert name of new club) interest I wanted to come here.

Bizarrely I`ve even heard players who r*vers have signed say it too.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Oops. Feeling slightly told off. Point taken, as I say...

Archived