IGNORED

Can the players be enjoying it?

Silvio Dante

3 hours ago, PolskRed said:

Simple really, given the chance to play football in the style we are currently playing or sitting in the office checking hundreds of invoices, then it is not a difficult decision, even for the same money. Add on the obscene wages then the decision becomes a lot easier.

Not really sure the style of play matters too much to 99% of players, if the money is there, they will sign.

I think you missed the point?   Of course they will sign!..........you would have to be either an idiot or otherwise, a strong minded principled individual to turn down a million a year?   It's not about signing, it''s about enjoying what you are doing. ?

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I think you missed the point?   Of course they will sign!..........you would have to be either an idiot or otherwise, a strong minded principled individual to turn down a million a year?   It's not about signing, it''s about enjoying what you are doing. ?

Not missing the point at all, read the last paragraph of the original post (which I highlighted in my response) which you have actually answered yourself! 

24 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Further more, we all have to do “work” we don’t enjoy every so often... difference being they might not enjoy the game they play for a short period of time in their lives, I am sure they will survive.

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Doesn’t always work out - see Marcus Stewart!

The one that shocked me was apparently Gabriel Batistuta hated football. Didn’t move from Fiorentina as was settled there and on enough cash - wasn’t a love for the club or the game, just the fact he liked the area and didn’t want to progress further in the game

Once you turn professional at any sport, it becomes your job and career. The mentality and feelings change from what they once were when you first fell in love with your chosen sport.

Doing something respetitivly everyday is hard. 

Yes it's better than most normal jobs, but you still get apathetic to it all. 

It's often the outside influences that effect your love of a sport. 

As fans it's hard to understand that if you've never been in a professional position. 

A bad day playing sport as a profession, is still a better feeling than a great day in the office so to speak...however...it's still a job for the majority and they will feel completely differently to a fan.

As for defending yesterday...apart from our actual defenders, the rest of the team were all over the place when not on the offensive...lost shape, ball watched, looked lost. And you are right...defending takes its toll, both physically and mentally.

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Following on from Kalas’ interview last night a thought arose.

Most of us have played football at whatever level. I played defence/dm. And I remember playing in some desperate rearguard actions, and it was exhilarating. But when I played in a rearguard action week after week it was draining and not enjoyable.

For our players who played further up the pitch, it was even less enjoyable. They liked taking players on, creating, scoring, and would sit in the changing room gradually getting more pissed off.

This isn’t about results. It’s about would you, aside from the financials, enjoy playing football the way we do? And could it affect our chances of signing players in the future?

My first thought is that these guys are professionals and should take pride in what they do and I think we saw that in Kalas’s interview yesterday. We could see how disappointed he was with the performance despite having won the game and having won 4 out of the last 5. I thought he spoke really well. 

I don’t think the way City play is anywhere near as dire as was under LJ. Deano has a particular method he wants to implement but has been hamstrung (excuse the pun) by the lengthy injury list. The players practice and train with that method  and Kalas was clearly disappointed that they hadn’t carried it out as they’d planned.

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My first thought is that these guys are professionals and should take pride in what they do and I think we saw that in Kalas’s interview yesterday. We could see how disappointed he was with the performance despite having won the game and having won 4 out of the last 5. I thought he spoke really well. 

I don’t think the way City play is anywhere near as dire as was under LJ. Deano has a particular method he wants to implement but has been hamstrung (excuse the pun) by the lengthy injury list. The players practice and train with that method  and Kalas was clearly disappointed that they hadn’t carried it out as they’d planned.

Agreed, Kalas was obviously a touch embarrassed at the way that game panned out and picked up on what everyone on this Board who watched the game saw, whether in agreement, denial, acceptance or otherwise. Holden also clearly saw it but wasn't as direct as Kalas. As much as many of us do not have professional experience, coaching badges or sports related qualifications we have still played the game to a certain level and know to varying levels what we are watching, particularly when a 45 minute period is as one sided as that second half was. Clearly Huddersfield decided to have a right go at us from 2-0 down and did carry and knock the ball around nicely but that doesn't excuse our sloppiness over 45 minutes (and the last 15 of the first half) where we could barely string three passes together. The fact that nobody was in denial about that last night from the club is a start!!

Archived