IGNORED

Accumulate to speculate

BLRed

40 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I was thinking about Baker and could actually see him staying on vastly reduced wages now due to Covid, There won’t be many teams who will match what we’re paying him and his injury record makes him unattractive - we all know there is a decent player when fit so if the money’s right I’ve got a feeling we might keep him 

You're maybe right but before that there would need to be a reckoning.  Most players are probably being told by their agents they can get a good deal because agents won't want to lose clients by telling them the truth.

At some point reality will bite and players will begin to understand that they are going to be paid a lot less from now on.  Some (maybe Baker will be an example) will jack it in because they've done very nicely indeed from the game and have other irons in the fire. 

The tactic of waiting seems sensible to me. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I have never played bowls for Nailsea  BC Tone. My outdoor club is West Backwell and has been since 1988. Nailsea are our local rivals. 
I do play indoor for them tho.

That's kind of like supporting "your team" but being happy to drive your fiercest rivals fans to Wembley..!

46 minutes ago, The Bard said:

You're maybe right but before that there would need to be a reckoning.  Most players are probably being told by their agents they can get a good deal because agents won't want to lose clients by telling them the truth.

At some point reality will bite and players will begin to understand that they are going to be paid a lot less from now on.  Some (maybe Baker will be an example) will jack it in because they've done very nicely indeed from the game and have other irons in the fire. 

The tactic of waiting seems sensible to me. 

In Ashton's interview with the Post he said that Mariappa had offers in the summer from clubs that he'd turned down because he "probably didn't understand where the market was". Doubtless other players were in the same boat last summer and therefore found themselves without a club at the start of the season when they'd probably expected to be sorted somewhere.

We are quite sensibly trimming wages and telling players that the days of golden paychecks are over, I suspect we are rightly telling players they'll have to take wages about half what they're on in preparation for MAs wage cap and the fact no clubs have any turnover... But what is going to annoy me is half the clubs in the league will continue to pay what players are currently on and probably even payrises speculating on either making it to the prem or getting some kind of bailout.

There never seems to be any punishment for running clubs recklessly and some owners will continue to do so at no real personal loss to them. But that screws over the likes of us trying to play within our means and not betting the house on success.

2 hours ago, Sydneybcfc said:

We are quite sensibly trimming wages and telling players that the days of golden paychecks are over, I suspect we are rightly telling players they'll have to take wages about half what they're on in preparation for MAs wage cap and the fact no clubs have any turnover... But what is going to annoy me is half the clubs in the league will continue to pay what players are currently on and probably even payrises speculating on either making it to the prem or getting some kind of bailout.

There never seems to be any punishment for running clubs recklessly and some owners will continue to do so at no real personal loss to them. But that screws over the likes of us trying to play within our means and not betting the house on success.

Regarding salary cap proposal in the close season....it was based on a 25 man squad (Max) and the average Champ salary of £720k pa, therefore the cap would be £18m (25 x £720k).

So the average champ salary per week is £13,846.

I would imagine that of the players out of contract this summer:

• Baker will be on more
  • Rowe will be on much less
  • Hunt will be around that mark
  • Watkins will be on less
  • Weimann will be on more, but through his option is unaffected by the cap (for FFP purposes it will be reported as £720k pa, even though he will earn more)
  • Paterson will be around the mark
  • Mariappa - don’t think he will be extended anyway
  • Gilmartin - will get a pure coaching contract
  • Diedhiou - will be on less but not much less
  • Adelakun - will be on much less, but has a year option anyway
  • Wollacott - won’t be troubling FFP salary cap, and has a year option
  • Walsh - will be on less and suspect even new contract, if offered, would be below cap
  • Cundy - see Wollacott 
  • Hinds - see Wollacott
  • Opi Edwards - see Wollacott

Archived