IGNORED

it cant go on indefinitely

Sweeneys Penalties

even the mighty Barca owe a billion Barcelona FC Shows A £1.1billion Debt In Their Annual Financial Report (euroweeklynews.com)

The mad world of football finance is over. Prices and wages have to collapse (like every other economic bubble in history)

There will be a new world order and there is every chance that the financially savvy clubs will do well. The reckless will hit the wall with force. 92 full time professional clubs in the England is unsustainable and the Scottish league will also reduce. There is a planet wide pandemic and casualties will be everywhere

Football’s finances was a basket case even before the pandemic, but the pandemic will almost certainly be a turning point going forward.

The longer things go without crowds, or with very limited numbers, the bigger the impact on the football league clubs who are more dependant on match day income to stay afloat.

Annoyingly, the very big clubs could do well, in that there will be increasing demand for matches to view and that is where the tv money will be focused. Worryingly ( or not depending on your point of view) I think this could again raise the possibility of a European elite league. When a club like Barca is so heavily in debt they will surely be interested in any options that generate increased income and many top european clubs have been jealous of the financial power that rests with the premier league, and how to bridge the financial gap and this might give them the chance.

Im sure I will not be alone in looking forward to the pained look on agents’ ( and their clients”) faces when they start to be turned down by owners /chief execs when sitting down to present their “more than reasonable” contract demands in the not too distant future. Hopefully the pandemic will have given owners to balls to at last start saying no.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Football’s finances was a basket case even before the pandemic, but the pandemic will almost certainly be a turning point going forward.

The longer things go without crowds, or with very limited numbers, the bigger the impact on the football league clubs who are more dependant on match day income to stay afloat.

Annoyingly, the very big clubs could do well, in that there will be increasing demand for matches to view and that is where the tv money will be focused. Worryingly ( or not depending on your point of view) I think this could again raise the possibility of a European elite league. When a club like Barca is so heavily in debt they will surely be interested in any options that generate increased income and many top european clubs have been jealous of the financial power that rests with the premier league, and how to bridge the financial gap and this might give them the chance.

Im sure I will not be alone in looking forward to the pained look on agents’ ( and their clients”) faces when they start to be turned down by owners /chief execs when sitting down to present their “more than reasonable” contract demands in the not too distant future. Hopefully the pandemic will have given owners to balls to at last start saying no.

and that is exactly why the likes of Fam and Liam Walsh may come unstuck and hopefully take their leech like agents with em

39 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

even the mighty Barca owe a billion Barcelona FC Shows A £1.1billion Debt In Their Annual Financial Report (euroweeklynews.com)

The mad world of football finance is over. Prices and wages have to collapse (like every other economic bubble in history)

There will be a new world order and there is every chance that the financially savvy clubs will do well. The reckless will hit the wall with force. 92 full time professional clubs in the England is unsustainable and the Scottish league will also reduce. There is a planet wide pandemic and casualties will be everywhere

Hopefully ticket prices will come down with it. Particularly in the Premier League, but I’m probably being naive though.

22 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

and that is exactly why the likes of Fam and Liam Walsh may come unstuck and hopefully take their leech like agents with em

Is that a bit harsh on Liam Walsh?! I just thought he was trying to get fit and play himself into contention again - you’ve made him seem like he’s part of a ‘hold the club to ransom’ type conspiracy?! On what evidence do you base this? Happy to be enlightened around stuff of which I’m not aware ... 

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is that a bit harsh on Liam Walsh?! I just thought he was trying to get fit and play himself into contention again - you’ve made him seem like he’s part of a ‘hold the club to ransom’ type conspiracy?! On what evidence do you base this? Happy to be enlightened around stuff of which I’m not aware ... 

I have absolutely no inside info and have never claimed it. Covid and end of contract do not make a happy marriage. Offers will be low (by last seasons standards) and I'd suggest that players and agents acknowledge that

29 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Hard to see how Walsh can be criticised if he's not had an official offer put in front of him, Famara not accepting the best offer the club has ever made (Gregor) however... unless he does want a change of scenery then fair enough otherwise I'd be inclined to agree

2 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I have absolutely no inside info and have never claimed it. Covid and end of contract do not make a happy marriage. Offers will be low (by last seasons standards) and I'd suggest that players and agents acknowledge that

Yeh, but you inferred Walsh and his agent were ‘leeches’ and you suggested they would ‘hopefully come unstuck’ - so you must know something?

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh, but you inferred Walsh and his agent were ‘leeches’ and you suggested they would ‘hopefully come unstuck’ - so you must know something?

all Agents are leeches in my book. Liam may be a poor example, but the issue of Covid and end of contract stands. I know zero. Absolutely zero....I just join the dots and extrapolate the graph

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

all Agents are leeches in my book. Liam may be a poor example, but the issue of Covid and end of contract stands. I know zero. Absolutely zero....I just join the dots and extrapolate the graph

Wow, so you called out Fammy and Walsh - hoping both they are and their agents ‘would come unstuck’ because they were ‘leeches’ with zero knowledge as to whether any of that is true ... and you stuck it on a public platform for the world to see ... ok, wouldn’t have done that myself but you crack on ...

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wow, so you called out Fammy and Walsh - hoping both they are and their agents ‘would come unstuck’ because they were ‘leeches’ with zero knowledge as to whether any of that is true ... and you stuck it on a public platform for the world to see ... ok, wouldn’t have done that myself but you crack on ...

But, he didn't say that, did he?

My understanding from @Sweeneys Penalties post was that he thought Fam and LW 'may' come unstuck, and that, 'hopefully' their leech like agents would come unstuck....

'and that is exactly why the likes of Fam and Liam Walsh may come unstuck and hopefully take their leech like agents with em'

I must say, I think I share that view.

24 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

That Pogba’s agent made more out of PB’s transfer to Man U than Webster cost Brighton, says everything that is wrong with the game.

I still wonder just what did the agent do to justify making ( I’m loath to use the word “earn”) circa £24m from the deal?

My other major issue with agents is why do they get a fee from a club when they are acting for the player? It’s a bit like me instructing an estate agent to sell my house to you, but  getting  you to pay the agents fee on completion!

The (financial) game is due for a far-reaching upheaval, and this may prove to be the moment it changed. However, history tells us that in general as well as football the rich will become richer and the poor will become poorer.

Clubs may well go into administration and the like, but those who have helped fuel inflated fees and wages over the years are also the clubs that will have residual value and will be picked up for pennies with debts written off or creditors getting next to nothing. And they start again. 

It's the very small clubs that will be liquidated and disappear, not the "brands". 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

That Pogba’s agent made more out of PB’s transfer to Man U than Webster cost Brighton, says everything that is wrong with the game.

I still wonder just what did the agent do to justify making ( I’m loath to use the word “earn”) circa £24m from the deal?

My other major issue with agents is why do they get a fee from a club when they are acting for the player? It’s a bit like me instructing an estate agent to sell my house to you, but  getting  you to pay the agents fee on completion!

Interestingly, and as I am sure @Major Isewater will be able to confirm, this used to be quite common practice in France.

Incidentally, and whilst I am loathe to labour the point, one is an adjective, the other is a verb ?.

24 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Interestingly, and as I am sure @Major Isewater will be able to confirm, this used to be quite common practice in France.

Incidentally, and whilst I am loathe to labour the point, one is an adjective, the other is a verb ?.

Whoops! :)  

That’s why I am loathe to use predictive typing ( and not checking before posting)!

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I concur.

Yes, in France , the estate agent’s fees can be ‘paid’  by the buyer. Instead of the agent being instructed by a seller the agent is instructed to find a house for a buyer. In practice the buyer sees a house at the agency and signs a contract with the agent to find a house which curiously resembles that exact one. Perfectly legal. 

The notaire’s  ( solicitor) fees  are at 8% of the house price but if the buyer pays the agent then the commission is separated from the overall price thus saving paying 8% on the agent’s fee as well.

House price agent’s fee included.

200,000€ 

buyer pays 8% on 200,000€ .

House price 200,000€ ( with agent’s fee removed and paid by the buyer) 

= 190,000€ On which the buyer pays 8% . 

It is an advantage for the buyer. He saves around 800€ .

However the government know this ruse and it is more difficult to do these days.

Voilà . 

8 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Hard to see how Walsh can be criticised if he's not had an official offer put in front of him, Famara not accepting the best offer the club has ever made (Gregor) however... unless he does want a change of scenery then fair enough otherwise I'd be inclined to agree

He could move to North Bristol for a 'change of scene !' Then he would know what grass roots football is ??? after one training session he would be back on the 78 bus (or whatever comes first) to the Gate.

As much I dislike what I'm about to write, I think a European Super League is inevitable and the elite football bubble will continue to rumble on largely unaffected.

It'd be interesting to see what the TV viewing figures are over the last year. I'd hazard a guess Sky and BT have made a mint during the pandemic, which in turns strengthens their hand when it comes to negotiating TV deals.

Also, I expect the likes of Amazon and Apple - both of whom have seen profits increase by billions during the pandemic - will continue to muscle in on global sporting rights which in turn will keep the elite-level football circus rolling on. As someone else said, the disparity between rich and poor will simply get bigger. 

Football needs a reset.  Ideally, the issue of ownership will form part of that if clubs go to the wall and fans will get a stake in their clubs.  Hopefully, it would stop them becoming the egotistical vanity projects of some of the current crop of owners.

Even then, some sort of ceiling needs to be put on wages.  Fan ownership does not guarantee financial security as they are probably just as likely to try and buy success.   

As for agents, I am generally suspicious of them.  However, clubs would happily take advantage of a young player in contract negotiations - especially one with an emotional connection to the club - unless the player has some sort of representation.

Fam is out for his last decent contract in football, so I don't blame him wanting to secure his maximum wage.  I haven't heard anything to suggest Walsh's representatives are being unreasonable.  Walsh just seems to want to play football and develop as a player so again no issue for me there.  

As much as I love City and professional football, this situation could be a blessing in disguise...giving football the kick up the backside it needs. My only worry is that the big clubs prevail and watching games will be promoted more through TV even more than it is now.

Sadly it will be the small non league clubs, the family run businesses and pubs that will all go under...the ones that we enjoy locally and are essential for our mental well being. What's the point of being alive if you can't live?

This theoretically could go on forever. It's like the flu...it's here to stay forever. Lockdowns don't work... we've proven that, the vaccines don't stop you from catching it or spreading it. They only reduce the possibility of you being seriously ill. If you are old, have weak immunity, unhealthy, overweight or have underlying health issues, it will harm you...that imo is why we have it so bad here, so many of our population are like that. And we don't have the infrastructure or staff to cope with it.

Meanwhile in New Zealand they are having outdoor music festivals with thousands in attendance. We screwed up big time here.

The ramifications outside of covid are far worse in the long term. Anyone been into Bath lately? It's literally a ghost town...so much shut down for good.

Professional football clubs are the least if our worries imo

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

As much as I love City and professional football, this situation could be a blessing in disguise...giving football the kick up the backside it needs. My only worry is that the big clubs prevail and watching games will be promoted more through TV even more than it is now.

Sadly it will be the small non league clubs, the family run businesses and pubs that will all go under...the ones that we enjoy locally and are essential for our mental well being. What's the point of being alive if you can't live?

This theoretically could go on forever. It's like the flu...it's here to stay forever. Lockdowns don't work... we've proven that, the vaccines don't stop you from catching it or spreading it. They only reduce the possibility of you being seriously ill. If you are old, have weak immunity, unhealthy, overweight or have underlying health issues, it will harm you...that imo is why we have it so bad here, so many of our population are like that. And we don't have the infrastructure or staff to cope with it.

Meanwhile in New Zealand they are having outdoor music festivals with thousands in attendance. We screwed up big time here.

The ramifications outside of covid are far worse in the long term. Anyone been into Bath lately? It's literally a ghost town...so much shut down for good.

Professional football clubs are the least if our worries imo

the answer you were looking for? Nasal spray said to 'stop Covid' could be released this summer | Swindon Advertiser

I'm due to see my Sister in Bath on Sunday and havent been in Bath since Christmas Day. I absolutely believe the Ghost Town scenario. Bath is very reliant on the (non existant) Tourist Trade at pres and is reeling badly

2 hours ago, tin said:

As much I dislike what I'm about to write, I think a European Super League is inevitable and the elite football bubble will continue to rumble on largely unaffected.

It'd be interesting to see what the TV viewing figures are over the last year. I'd hazard a guess Sky and BT have made a mint during the pandemic, which in turns strengthens their hand when it comes to negotiating TV deals.

Also, I expect the likes of Amazon and Apple - both of whom have seen profits increase by billions during the pandemic - will continue to muscle in on global sporting rights which in turn will keep the elite-level football circus rolling on. As someone else said, the disparity between rich and poor will simply get bigger. 

I agree with this. Football will survive but only for the elite clubs IMO.  TV and advertising and merchandise is what pays the wages for the big clubs not s/t sales. Fans attendance makes up a minimal amount of their income which they can counter with selling and buying. What players will think about playing in half empty stadiums all the time is another matter!  Its the smaller clubs that rely on sales of tickets and concessions that will suffer. At Bristol City we are at half way house. We may survive but may have to be content with lower league football. At least its what we are used to. Too many fans will think twice about renewing tickets, other priorities will taken over.

Maybe included in this 'financial reset' there should also be some thought as to how many full time clubs are actually viable. At the moment it's 92 in the FL, plus a few more in the National League, and that takes no account of Scotand or Wales. Seems completely unrealistic to me.

Can see quite a few going to the wall I fairly random way. Some element of franchising wouldn't surprise me, although I'd hate it.

18 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

the answer you were looking for? Nasal spray said to 'stop Covid' could be released this summer | Swindon Advertiser

I'm due to see my Sister in Bath on Sunday and havent been in Bath since Christmas Day. I absolutely believe the Ghost Town scenario. Bath is very reliant on the (non existant) Tourist Trade at pres and is reeling badly

It's hard to know what to believe as to what will work and not work. Ivermectin has been spouted about by many scientists that have nothing to gain, and everything to lose by talking about it. 

I just find it very odd that people believe what our Government and it's Scientists are saying is the correct procedure. In any other scenario, people distrust the Government, regardless of who's in power...yet a great majority have gone along with the party line without question...yet other countries are all doing things differently to us and one another.

I read this morning that we have the highest death rate in the world from Covid. Is it true? I don't know...it's what we are being told...is it factually correct? Or were other circumstances involved. All I know is fear has been a major factor and it's constantly being thrown in our faces.

Yet the scenarios of Cancers, suicide, mental health, job losses, people's right to provide and make a living, swept under the carpet.

If it's true, that we have the highest in the world, then serious questions have to be asked. What's causing it. 

Lockdowns don't work, masks don't work...otherwise rates would be going down. Vaccines don't stop the spread...so what's the answer.

It's been over a year now... undoubtedly there is a virus and it's killing people, but I can't help but think its now being used to reset the world in how we are going to live in the future. Whether it's for a good or bad thing...who knows, but too much is being spoken about across the globe by the elite who run the world and politicians on there being a reset so to speak.e

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's hard to know what to believe as to what will work and not work. Ivermectin has been spouted about by many scientists that have nothing to gain, and everything to lose by talking about it. 

I just find it very odd that people believe what our Government and it's Scientists are saying is the correct procedure. In any other scenario, people distrust the Government, regardless of who's in power...yet a great majority have gone along with the party line without question...yet other countries are all doing things differently to us and one another.

I read this morning that we have the highest death rate in the world from Covid. Is it true? I don't know...it's what we are being told...is it factually correct? Or were other circumstances involved. All I know is fear has been a major factor and it's constantly being thrown in our faces.

Yet the scenarios of Cancers, suicide, mental health, job losses, people's right to provide and make a living, swept under the carpet.

If it's true, that we have the highest in the world, then serious questions have to be asked. What's causing it. 

Lockdowns don't work, masks don't work...otherwise rates would be going down. Vaccines don't stop the spread...so what's the answer.

It's been over a year now... undoubtedly there is a virus and it's killing people, but I can't help but think its now being used to reset the world in how we are going to live in the future. Whether it's for a good or bad thing...who knows, but too much is being spoken about across the globe by the elite who run the world and politicians on there being a reset so to speak.e

Both dips in this chart are in the weeks after lockdown being implemented

Lockdowns do ‘work’, they’re just not a long term solution when the cats already out of the bag. NZ who you use as an example of getting it right achieved that by locking down very hard (including flights in and out of the country), for a good length of time very early. It’s hard to compare nz to us though as they have much more space for their population, as well as being at the end of travel

corridors rather than being an essential hub etc  

image.jpeg.40858ceb66a4eb9635f68f8cf784288d.jpeg

Archived