IGNORED

Favourite City goals?

189thoughts

I'm not talking the best goal in terms of emotions (last minute equaliser, Smith against United etc.) but your favourite goal you watched a City player score based on the quality of the goal.

I remember Nicky Maynard scoring an unbelievable goal against maybe QPR (?) where he took a couple little touchs before a volley. Bryan's against Utd also special, if only for the sound it made when it hit the net.

For the more mature reader.....Jimmy Mann 30 yard screamer past Shilton v Forest late 70s........in front of the East End......we were right behind it and the noise it made when it hit the top corner and the noise and mad scenes behind the goal will live with me forever......happy days.

The third goal v Bolton at Wembley in 1986. Superb move in the build up to that. 

Nicky Morgan’s header v Blackburn after Dave Smith had belted down the wing. Very similar to Thorpe’s goal v the gas. 

Bob Taylor’s goals in his hat-trick at Swansea have already been mentioned. He also scored a great volley at Cardiff that season and another one at home to Crewe (in the game he got the injury that finished his season). 

Also I remember Luke Wiltshire scoring from by the halfway line, not sure who it was against. Also a very hazy memory of a long range David Clarkson effort. 

9th of May 1986 vs Hereford, last minute goal from Steve Neville to win 3:2 on aggregate taking us to Wembley for the first time.  Couldn’t get to the match  but clearly remember dancing around the kitchen with my late father.

A few weeks later my first visit to Wembley to see City win a cup! 

Not a great goal but great memories.

Miss you Dad

3 minutes ago, Offside said:

The third goal v Bolton at Wembley in 1986. Superb move in the build up to that. 

Nicky Morgan’s header v Blackburn after Dave Smith had belted down the wing. Very similar to Thorpe’s goal v the gas. 

Bob Taylor’s goals in his hat-trick at Swansea have already been mentioned. He also scored a great volley at Cardiff that season and another one at home to Crewe (in the game he got the injury that finished his season). 

Also I remember Luke Wiltshire scoring from by the halfway line, not sure who it was against. Also a very hazy memory of a long range David Clarkson effort. 

Wilkshire was Tranmere? Midweek game?

Also to add to SuperBob’s collection was the overhead kick at home to Brum.

Also Biff Newman splashing one into the East End goal from about 40 yards v Newport I think.

In more recent years I remember Boro at home around 2009-10, and a double from Nicky Maynard (who was razor sharp at the time), sticks out I think as Zico Hartley picked him out both times from deep, the second one I recall Hartley fist-pumping at The Dolman even before Nicky had fired it in!

Here's a few
JET vs Gas 2013
M Elliott vs Stoke 2007
Bryan vs Palace 2017
Goater vs Watford 1997
Wilkshire vs Tranmere 2004
Sproule vs Leicester 2009
Noble vs Palace 2008
Freeman vs Ipswich 2016
Tomlin vs Huddersfield and Fulham 2016

Every Maynard goal basically in 2009-10 was usually a beauty too

38 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Wilkshire was Tranmere? Midweek game?

Also to add to SuperBob’s collection was the overhead kick at home to Brum.

Also Biff Newman splashing one into the East End goal from about 40 yards v Newport I think.

Yes, that’s right! Tranmere midweek! Great goal. 

I've got it. The greatest City goal to end all great City goals (and no ones mentioned it here yet)

Murray running the length of the pitch towards the Atyeo where I was sat.  Ran through everyone,  against Oldham (i think) many years ago. Hands down winner and I'll never forget it.

Technique wise, you will have a job to beat Tomlins against Huddersfield at home. To have the ability to dink the ball over the defenders head & hit it on the half volley with your weaker foot was really something. That’s before you consider the thought process he had before actually pulling it off! A mention of Trundles chip from basically being on the bye line against Scunthorpe was also great technique & imagination. Miss those sort of players. COYR 

2 hours ago, JamboBCFC said:

Stead v QPR and one from Pitman v Derby or Watford I think when he absolutely leathered it past the keeper into the top corner from quite an acute angle. Just such a good strike of the ball. 

Pony's was at Watford. What a strike!

Archived