IGNORED

Favourite City goals?

189thoughts

2 hours ago, Offside said:

The third goal v Bolton at Wembley in 1986. Superb move in the build up to that. 

Nicky Morgan’s header v Blackburn after Dave Smith had belted down the wing. Very similar to Thorpe’s goal v the gas. 

Bob Taylor’s goals in his hat-trick at Swansea have already been mentioned. He also scored a great volley at Cardiff that season and another one at home to Crewe (in the game he got the injury that finished his season). 

Also I remember Luke Wiltshire scoring from by the halfway line, not sure who it was against. Also a very hazy memory of a long range David Clarkson effort. 

This.....30 yard volley!  Fantastic hit

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Tony Thorpe’s header against the Gas, Christmas 2000, after Aaron Brown’s 70 yard dribble.  No question.

I almost put this myself. This is the first live City goal I can really recall. Watched this again the other day and the run was even better than I had remembered.

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Not spectacular but two that always stick in my mind are the rarities:

Bent slotting it home after running the length of the pitch at the County Ground;

Donowa's late, late winner to put The Gas back in their box.

You picked the two I was going to say Donovan,s was absolutely brilliant 

3 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

I've got it. The greatest City goal to end all great City goals (and no ones mentioned it here yet)

Murray running the length of the pitch towards the Atyeo where I was sat.  Ran through everyone,  against Oldham (i think) many years ago. Hands down winner and I'll never forget it.

I was living in Oldham at the time and listening on local radio. Even the Radio Manchester commentator was drooling. 

8 minutes ago, onehowie said:

E2A7F6A3-1938-4D4D-83A2-B2FCB79C7236.pngClassic header from the King of the West Country!

The great days, seem to remember a "John Galley superstar how many goals have you scored so far" volley from a corner kick that nearly took the net to the back of the Eastend; great crowds and atmosphere and days at the footie, sadly in short supply now.

Bryan v Man Utd

Mann v Forest

Newman v Newport

T.Morgan v Chester

Tomlin v Huddersfield

Those are the 5 that instantly pop into my head in terms of goals I’ve been “there” for.

Cheesley’s header at Arsenal is the one I’d wish I’d been there for.

12 hours ago, glos old boy said:

The great days, seem to remember a "John Galley superstar how many goals have you scored so far" volley from a corner kick that nearly took the net to the back of the Eastend; great crowds and atmosphere and days at the footie, sadly in short supply now.

I recall a fantastic Galley volley in the comeback from 3-1 down to win 5-3 vs Orient, but that one was scored at the open end so probably not the same one.

My favourite goal ( not necessarily the most spectacular) was Clive Whitehead's early doors winner vs Pompey to secure promoting to the top flight.

In terms of spectacular goals, you’d have to go a long way to see 2 more spectacular goals in the same game as away at Leicester around 2008/9. Firstly Ivan Sproule's amazing run through the entire Leicester defence and then Cole Skuse’s 30 yard piledriver.

Some great memories on this Thread.
BUT I just want us to remember the goals Gerry Gow and Donnie Gillies scored at Highfield road to keep us in Div 1. The press called it The Great Escape as we beat a host of top Div 1 clubs to stay up, in the run up to that game. City took an estimated 20K to the game. Bristol offices, schools, even Crown Court Jury’s finished early to get to the game.

Always remember watching as an 11 year old with my dad in Dolman B Block Gerry Gow laying into Sammy McIlroy on the pitch (both got sent off), when we played Man United during that run up to the Coventry game. The sense of anticipation at AG home games at the time was palpable. The Liverpool night game at AG, etc.
Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I watch YouTube reruns etc.

Great memories for those that were there.

Tom Richie at eastville in the cup .  

The infamous 1-0 down 2-1 up we knocked rovers out the cup game.

We were on a dreadful downhill spiral and really didn’t expect much especially after the gas went 1-0 up .But the miracle happened and the packed open end at eastville bounced and cheered ,the joy of that goal especially bearing in mind the opposition was amazing.The euphoria at the final whistle was fantastic.

Archived