IGNORED

Jonny Smith - SIgned for Burton Albion

Davefevs

31 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Really disapointed with this.  For someone who was highly rated and tiped to have so much potential it would have been nice to give the lad a bit more of an opportunity here.

Good luck to him.

Players find their level . Touted as being a excellent youngster but it isn’t always the way. Plenty of coaches have watched him and he’s obviously not good enough for championship standard. They can’t all make it. He’s 23 now . Not a kid in footballing terms . 

He’s signed permanently for a team who will be playing in League 2 next season having just been on loan to a team who will be in League 2 next season. Not every player on loan will make it. You have to assume there are weaknesses in his game being exposed at League 1 level that lead the coaches to think he hasn’t got it at Championship level.......and other clubs presumably otherwise his permanent switch would have been to Sunderland, Doncaster, Lincoln, Peterborough etc.?

22 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

wtaf 

Even I'm mystified at that. 

utterly ridiculous... 

Ask yourself.......why hasn’t he been given a shot when the head coach is clearly willing to give Onawura Edward’s a go in the same position when the latter has been playing at Grimsby?

Suggests to me that they’ve seen something in one lad and not the other?

I guess we’ve had loads of youngsters like this over the years. Many just disappeared without a trace and you never realised they had gone as info was hard to find. Now we have media in every form and people are just more aware.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Why all the surprise?  He’s had several league one and two loans but didn’t exactly shine anywhere.  No indication that he’s good enough for the top half of the Championship.  Good luck to him at Burtom.

I think there was some indication that he's good enough for the Championship, maybe just not yet. Chance for him to make a name for himself with Burton and maybe get a move back to the championship.

He needed a permanent contract.

59 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Really???

Wow- he really got a chance here.

WTF???

I would guess that the kid Edward’s has shown he’s worth a chance and Smith hasn’t. Therefore he stays, Smith goes.......brutal but simple. Covid means we won’t be stockpiling players for the future at the same rate we used to.

19 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Why all the surprise?  He’s had several league one and two loans but didn’t exactly shine anywhere.  No indication that he’s good enough for the top half of the Championship.  Good luck to him at Burtom.

Didn’t shine?

Whether he’s good enough for us in the Championship is not one we can answer, but in fairness to the lad he’s had a series of progressive loans where he’s met the level and improved.  Started brightly this season at Swindon, but things change quickly in football, Wellens leaves, Sheridan in, an injury, and then it’s a different story.

Looks like his time at Oldham have served him well, because Dino Mamria is JFH’s assistant, and was Jonny’s manager last season.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Didn’t shine?

Whether he’s good enough for us in the Championship is not one we can answer, but in fairness to the lad he’s had a series of progressive loans where he’s met the level and improved.  Started brightly this season at Swindon, but things change quickly in football, Wellens leaves, Sheridan in, an injury, and then it’s a different story.

Looks like his time at Oldham have served him well, because Dino Mamria is JFH’s assistant, and was Jonny’s manager last season.

Goal every three games for Oldham 

Not bad for a winger

And that goal that he scored earlier in the season for Swindon was absolute quality

(Only recently returned from injury at Swindon so has missed a fair few games)

’Didn’t  shine’ ???

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Goal every three games for Oldham 

Not bad for a winger

And that goal that he scored earlier in the season for Swindon was absolute quality

’Didn’t  shine’ ???

How many goals and assists for Swindon? Not knocking the kid but when I see younger alternatives played in his position AND play well in a 20 minute cameo I’m not going to GUESS that the coaches have got this one wrong either.

17 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

He’s signed permanently for a team who will be playing in League 2 next season having just been on loan to a team who will be in League 2 next season. Not every player on loan will make it. You have to assume there are weaknesses in his game being exposed at League 1 level that lead the coaches to think he hasn’t got it at Championship level.......and other clubs presumably otherwise his permanent switch would have been to Sunderland, Doncaster, Lincoln, Peterborough etc.?

Yes

Sensible post - We do need to be ruthless and decisive about decisions at some point 

We can’t stockpile players who are 24/25 but not making our first team

Lets hope this is the right one - for us , and him 

I know people are going to worry, moan and question this but...

The further up the pyramid you go, the fewer players are going to make it.

If we were still League 1, he'd probably still be with us, but is he good enough for an established (top 6?) Championship side.... 

I think the sooner we get use to the small losses/cash neutral deals the healthier for all. 

The lad needs regular 1st team football and the chance to build a career.

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yes

Sensible post - We do need to be ruthless and decisive about decisions at some point 

We can’t stockpile players who are 24/25 but not making our first team

Lets hope this is the right one - for us , and him 

It’s exactly what you say. We are in the midst of a ruthless cull right now. I can see most of the out of contract players gone at the end of the season. With Covid affecting finances it will be about a more efficient spend of money than the previous speculative to accumulate pattern of previous years that has had very mixed results. Imo of course.

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

I know people are going to worry, moan and question this but...

The further up the pyramid you go, the fewer players are going to make it.

If we were still League 1, he'd probably still be with us, but is he good enough for an established (top 6?) Championship side.... 

I think the sooner we get use to the small losses/cash neutral deals the healthier for all. 

The lad needs regular 1st team football and the chance to build a career.

...and maybe using our true Academy pipeline to fill the gap.

Ive no idea how much compensation we paid Wrexham, but say it was £50k.  What do we play our 18 year olds?

Archived