IGNORED

Jonny Smith - SIgned for Burton Albion

Davefevs

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

It’s exactly what you say. We are in the midst of a ruthless cull right now. I can see most of the out of contract players gone at the end of the season. With Covid it will be about a more efficient spend of money than the previous speculative to accumulate pattern of previous years that has had very mixed results. Imo of course.

Massive summer for us , and many clubs

I just hope our recruitment improves on the last few years

Will be a lot of spotlight on Dh & MA

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

...and maybe using our true Academy pipeline to fill the gap.

Ive no idea how much compensation we paid Wrexham, but say it was £50k.  What do we play our 18 year olds?

I'll guess 'not a lot' in answer to both questions.

His loans would have likely see the majority of his salary covered by the club he was billet at.

We might have even made a few quid overall.

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Massive summer for us , and many clubs

I just hope our recruitment improves on the last few years

Will be a lot of spotlight on Dh & MA

I think it’s obvious the Holden was told to use what he’s already got in the building and hence we’ve seen previously loaned players in our first team in recent weeks. Palmer, as it happens, is giving us that occasional spark that only Pato of the other members of the squad is capable of. About the same consistency level too but like it or not it does improve us to a degree. I like the look of the young lad Edward’s and would like to see more of him. Seems to have a bit of swagger which as long as it’s backed up by ability I like to see.

It will be a big summer as I think DH/MA will have a fixed budget, no excuses or alterations to it.

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What do we reckon - £50-100k, plus sell-on?

Probably. We seem to sell these promising youngsters on for cheap but then stick a large sell on in just case.

I'm not against it, has been "promising" for a few years, but seems to have never done enough to get a run with the squad. If he's not good enough for us now, but plays well lower down the chain, then perhaps that's his level?

Good luck to him, and hopefully we'll get a chunk of money if he turns into the next (real) Bale.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

This has all the hallmarks of 'preparing for a salary cap' - clear out the dead wood and find a balance between promising youth and the final years pros who just want another couple of seasons at a reasonable level.

Yep, we are making cost saving measures. I was told I was wrong the other week when I said this would happen but Steve Lansdown will no doubt be as ruthless as the next businessman losing large sums of money not being even partially covered by income when it suits him.

I think football in the EFL is in for a tough 5-10 years, I honestly do.

Profit on disposal to add to the list- shame we didn't see what he could do properly, ie a proper chance- we're not that big on wingers so on that level maybe a rationale, we sold Eliasson after all, Adelakun and Watkins out of contract in the summer- maybe this is another pointer towards less reliance on wingers moving forward.

I can see it being a very quiet summer for most clubs in our division. It will be a good opportunity for some of our younger players to be given chances in the first team which would have been much harder to come buy in previous years. Hopefully one or two youngsters a la Semenyo will be able to make the step up. 

I do have trust in the club when they do decide to sell young players as very few have proven the decision to be wrong. I think Jonny Smith could be joining the likes of Arnold Garita, Shawn McCoulsky and Diego De Girolomo. 

30 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

This has all the hallmarks of 'preparing for a salary cap' - clear out the dead wood and find a balance between promising youth and the final years pros who just want another couple of seasons at a reasonable level.

✅

26 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yep, we are making cost saving measures. I was told I was wrong the other week when I said this would happen but Steve Lansdown will no doubt be as ruthless as the next businessman losing large sums of money not being even partially covered by income when it suits him.

I think football in the EFL is in for a tough 5-10 years, I honestly do.

✅

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Profit on disposal to add to the list- shame we didn't see what he could do properly, ie a proper chance- we're not that big on wingers so on that level maybe a rationale, we sold Eliasson after all, Adelakun and Watkins out of contract in the summer- maybe this is another pointer towards less reliance on wingers moving forward.

Yep...Will be very small profit on disposal....pretty much any compo we’d paid Wrexham will’ve been sunk already.

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I do have trust in the club when they do decide to sell young players as very few have proven the decision to be wrong. I think Jonny Smith could be joining the likes of Arnold Garita, Shawn McCoulsky and Diego De Girolomo. 

I think he’ll do better than those 3 imho.

Just now, Hxj said:

There is always an alternative - it could actually be that the player made a decision ...

You’re from up in Brewers country aren’t you?  Any insight?

This reminds me very much of Wes Burns’s move to Fleetwood.  I think a number of us were sorry to see him go but we can see now that it was probably the right thing to let him go permanently to League 1.  Don’t forget Smith is 23, same age as Vyner and O’Leary, rather than in the same age group as Edwards, for instance.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

This reminds me very much of Wes Burns’s move to Fleetwood.  I think a number of us were sorry to see him go but we can see now that it was probably the right thing to let him go permanently to League 1.  Don’t forget Smith is 23, same age as Vyner and O’Leary, rather than in the same age group as Edwards, for instance.

Agree with you on this one.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You’re from up in Brewers country aren’t you?  Any insight?

I am but no special insight.  I just think that people sometimes forget that they are discussing a person primarily, not a financial asset.

The thought of a 2 1/2 year deal at Burton could be remarkably attractive when compared to traipsing around to loan club after loan club.

No issues on this one. He was brought in under a transfer policy of ‘buy young, develop, sell at profit’. 
They won’t all work out. This one hasn’t. That’s fine. 
Probably evens on the deal overall. Compo was paid to Wrexham, they also had future clauses, the undisclosed fee likely covers the initial fee we paid. 
Best of luck to the lad. 

• The title was changed to Jonny Smith - SIgned for Burton Albion
  • Admin
26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....He was even described as the “next Gareth Bale” by significant people who subsequently turned out to be “fools” according to the connected ‘few’

Up there with the infamous Marvin Brown statement 

2 hours ago, Hxj said:

I am but no special insight.  I just think that people sometimes forget that they are discussing a person primarily, not a financial asset.

The thought of a 2 1/2 year deal at Burton could be remarkably attractive when compared to traipsing around to loan club after loan club.

Don't disagree- Kalas finally settling here is a good parallel- he was shunted off here, there and everywhere.

Archived