IGNORED

Jonny Smith - SIgned for Burton Albion

Davefevs

On 08/02/2021 at 15:42, BTRFTG said:

Economical with the truth, eh? Firstly not all clubs lose money, a few well run outfits turn a couple of bob and though most clubs do operate losses few are at City's level.

EPPP was wholly designed to benefit Premier elite clubs, those who can afford to run Category 1 academies. It's also important to remind that EPPP is a framework. Transfers , training compensation & appearances compensation remain by mutual consent (as the Law demands,)  though where not agreed by both parties maximum liabilities are prescribed by an agreed formula when signing up to the framework (as if there was a choice.) This isn't what you are guaranteed to receive from every deal, invariably it will be considerably less. Its also worth highlighting the disbenefit of not being a Cat 1 academy in respect of the travel regulations for younger players. The superstar on our doorstep, well there's sod all now to prevent them bring whisked away where once we did have a degree of protection.

So in our case a superstar lad we do entice onto our books from 9 through 16 who moves to a Premier club and makes 100 first team appearances for them (in the Premier) will be worth a guaranteed maximum £1.409m. But they'll be rocking-horse in number. Any kid falling into that category will be poached much earlier and post 16 loaned out to ensure experience and compensation is reduced. Should that be a player in the Championship or appearances in the Championship it's max £359k. Lower leagues are chump change. 

If you map out the 'academy' players we've lost over the past few years very few of them would have netted 6 figures under EPPP, which is why we usually let them go for much less.

So what do we do with all kids we take in? At 16 the kid who's been on our books since 9 and we release as they're not up to much, does he get picked up by the likes of The Gas? Will they cough up £109k for such a kid? Like hell will they. We'll either release for much less else the kid drifts out of the game.

That's why clubs are going the Cat 4 root. Concentrate on over 16s who by that age are already largely pre-selecting and where compensations due to lower league feeder clubs with good track histories, the likes of Crewe, will be minimal. It mirrors the minimal youth teams we ran in the 70's where the likes of Morton served us well.

Transfers are transfers and the top down monies are drying up. Of course any additional add-ons are only guaranteed for a short period under EPPP and could be removed altogether where the original move is mutual (as powerful clubs demand them to be.) In this latter respect there's already evidence to show what's happening. Clubs taking players are offering small amounts as 'take it or leave it' to 'buy out' such constraints, not shy in highlighting it'll be fully within their control as and when the player gets played or subsequently transferred. Most of those 5%s are removed for £30k or less.

I'm not saying ditch the academy, but it's nowhere near the golden goose many claim and I think it could do with bring trimmed heavily in favour of older youths.

I suggest you look at the finances of all 72 clubs, I'd say at least 85% of those run at a loss

Out academy is producing good solid pros and has been for a while,

Binning it would be a massive step backwards and very short sighted,

For example we wouldn't be playing towler semenyo or Edwards that million you suggest we save would would have to spend 5 times that amount to replace those 3 players just to sit on our bench,

Frankly you are wrong

50 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I suggest you look at the finances of all 72 clubs, I'd say at least 85% of those run at a loss

For example we wouldn't be playing towler semenyo or Edwards that million you suggest we save would would have to spend 5 times that amount to replace those 3 players just to sit on our bench,

Frankly you are wrong

thats what his F stands for well now just have to work out what the other letters mean.

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Frankly you are wrong

Save I didn't say bin it, though for some personal reason you appear to find it hard to follow what's written.

We'll have to agree to disagree as I can't be bothered to waste time on low level discourse such as this.

Archived