IGNORED

Historic photos of Ashton Gate

WarksRobin

On 29/01/2021 at 22:38, WarksRobin said:

Thought I would start a thread to capture old photos of the stadium and surrounding area

On 29/01/2021 at 22:38, WarksRobin said:

Thought I would start a thread to capture old photos of the stadium and surrounding area

Is that a bowling green, roughly where Nelson Mandela House is now? 

9 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

Pre Dolman Stand?

That stand had gone before 1966,, but one of the adverts is for Courage. They only arrived after taking over George's and Bristol United Brewery.

That may help pin point a date for this photo. Dunno if true, but I was told when grounds for the 1966 World Cup were being considered, AG was rejected as at that time we only had one stand.

29 minutes ago, 22A said:

That stand had gone before 1966,, but one of the adverts is for Courage. They only arrived after taking over George's and Bristol United Brewery.

That may help pin point a date for this photo. Dunno if true, but I was told when grounds for the 1966 World Cup were being considered, AG was rejected as at that time we only had one stand.

Courage took over Georges in 1961 so from then until demolished. Can't remember when.

8 hours ago, Offside said:

Two pics I found on Facebook a while ago. The second one particularly resonates with me because it’s that’s the part of the ground I used to see with my dad when we walked towards the Dolman turnstiles in my first years of going to AG as a child. 

87B1A6F1-A154-4A4C-9FAD-CE6144103E8A.jpeg

Typical end of season goalmouth back then - dry and bare. Keepers must have felt like they were diving on concrete.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Redtucks said:

We sold the floodlights to Corby Town if my memory still works!!!

6 hours ago, Malago said:

I thought they went to Springfield Park, Wigan, but I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, weepywall said:

Yes I think they did.

All wrong!!!

It was Burton Albion!!!

Just found this in a POTTED HISTORY of BCFC:   https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/club-history/potted-history/

"1965: Division Three runners-up 1964/65, promoted to Division Two. The original set of floodlights erected in 1953 were sold to Burton Albion and a new set were officially switched on with a friendly against Wolverhampton Wanderers the same club which provided the opposition for the 1953 switch-on."

That is not strictly true though, the game against Wolves was not a friendly, It was a Division 2 league game that we lost 1-0. The crowd was 36,184.

24 minutes ago, TomF said:

Unforuantely a lot of the photos on there were linked to a flickr account called 'Bristolbornandbred' who promptly deleted his entire collection of historic photos of Bristol.  I'm not sure why but I noticed one day he'd uploaded a picture taken by me off my website and although credited back he'd never asked me about it.. I wonder if he got a few copyright complains, shame because nothing like it on Flickr.

He complained when people stole his photos that he had stolen.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Redtucks said:

We sold the floodlights to Corby Town if my memory still works!!!

I will always remember the official opening of the new floodlights, it was a night game against Wolves, I think, and the crowd was over 30,000. I was in the shed and it was practically impossible to see much, as I was short and still am, on tiptoe most of the match, legs aching the next day. Impossible to move anywhere, as everyone was packed in tight, those were the days!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I will always remember the official opening of the new floodlights, it was a night game against Wolves, I think, and the crowd was over 30,000. I was in the shed and it was practically impossible to see much, as I was short and still am, on tiptoe most of the match, legs aching the next day. Impossible to move anywhere, as everyone was packed in tight, those were the days!

Yes, I was in the open end. Wolves won 1-0. The crowd was 36,184.

By chance I saw this for sale for £5 on ebay earlier:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Redtucks said:

All wrong!!!

It was Burton Albion!!!

Just found this in a POTTED HISTORY of BCFC:   https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/club-history/potted-history/

"1965: Division Three runners-up 1964/65, promoted to Division Two. The original set of floodlights erected in 1953 were sold to Burton Albion and a new set were officially switched on with a friendly against Wolverhampton Wanderers the same club which provided the opposition for the 1953 switch-on."

That is not strictly true though, the game against Wolves was not a friendly, It was a Division 2 league game that we lost 1-0. The crowd was 36,184.

@Malago was right in a way, and @weepywall

The original 1935 floodlights were sold to Burton Albion

The ones switched on in 1965 were sold to Wigan Athletic (Springfield Park) when the 4 corner pylons were removed and the replacement lamps  were fitted along the front of the Dolman and Williams roof.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

The ones switched on in 1965 were sold to Wigan Athletic (Springfield Park) when the 4 corner pylons were removed and the replacement lamps  were fitted along the front of the Dolman and Williams roof.

:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Redtucks said:

All wrong!!!

It was Burton Albion!!!

I was there when the floodlights were commissioned, and I am pretty sure it was a friendly.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Don't think they put them up then, because this is their last game at Springfield Park - and these are definitely NOT ours...

Wigan Athletic.jpg

Edited by Bob Taylor is GOD
  • Like 1