IGNORED

Historic photos of Ashton Gate

WarksRobin

1 hour ago, Blackbird1 said:

I was there when the floodlights were commissioned, and I am pretty sure it was a friendly.

Not according to the picture of the program I posted earlier.

Also the fixture list from:

https://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/matches/season/1966/

shows us playing away at Wolves (drew 1-1) on 27th December, and at home to Wolves (lost 0-1) on 28th in Div 2 fixtures.

22 minutes ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

Don't think they put them up then, because this is their last game at Springfield Park - and these are definitely NOT ours...

Wigan Athletic.jpg

I agree that the lights are not ours (these look square, whereas ours were twice as tall as they were wide) but the pylons look very similar to what we had.

1 hour ago, Blackbird1 said:

I was there when the floodlights were commissioned, and I am pretty sure it was a friendly.

If it's the Wolves game it sure wasn't a friendly - it was my first game, December 28th, 65. I still have the programme. As a young kid I thought every game would be that packed....

3 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Yes, I was in the open end. Wolves won 1-0. The crowd was 36,184.

By chance I saw this for sale for £5 on ebay earlier:

s-l1600.jpg

That's the kidder. I, too, was in the Open End at Cracker's Corner being passed over heads to the front. Recall the sheer excitement all day in the build-up (my Grandmother lived in Bath St,) and walking to the ground with my Dad and Uncle after getting togged up in Xmas bobbler, scarf, rosette & being handed a Gert Big wooden rattle.

Recall being wedged up against the railings by some fella or other then clinging on chimp-like for the duration of the game having been told to ' cheer the boys in Red.' That game alone is why I follow City all these years later, though you rarely see an Everton Mint doing the rounds these days.....

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

Don't think they put them up then, because this is their last game at Springfield Park - and these are definitely NOT ours...

Wigan Athletic.jpg

They could quite easily cut the excess off the top. Why fit something you don't need? Presumably they got professionals in, to do the erecting. Our floodlights had to go higher than our grandstand and obviously be equal height on all corners to give equally distributed light.

15 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

If it's the Wolves game it sure wasn't a friendly - it was my first game, December 28th, 65. I still have the programme. As a young kid I thought every game would be that packed....

Picture posted by Redtucks one hour ago of the programme stating grand opening of floodlights.

52 minutes ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

Wigan Athletic.jpg

My source is the Bristol City historian David Wood -in his book "Bristol City The first 100 years"  He was quite specific, maybe they modified them?

6 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I will always remember the official opening of the new floodlights, it was a night game against Wolves, I think, and the crowd was over 30,000. I was in the shed and it was practically impossible to see much, as I was short and still am, on tiptoe most of the match, legs aching the next day. Impossible to move anywhere, as everyone was packed in tight, those were the days!

I had a seat for that game on the bench that used to run alongside the touchline in front of the enclosure. Sitting just a few feet from the pitch. Can't imagine that happening these days!

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Still looks far better and more robust than the tented areas at the Mem!

I was just thinking it looks like the sort of structure the gas would knock up with a job lot of wood from B&Q and then announce it as their new state of the art home stand with comfortable, dry seating. It might even have a Row M.

On 30/01/2021 at 11:19, miser said:

I'd reckon mid 70s as the Dolman still has the clear side panels. It wasn't too long after construction when they blew out in a storm and replaced by standard cladding.

I think those panels blew out in 1971 or 72 so that photo must have been taken soon after the stand was completed in 1970.

6 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think those panels blew out in 1971 or 72 so that photo must have been taken soon after the stand was completed in 1970.

There's a post above from a more observant member than myself, noting that the stand is incomplete (missing stairs and seats). So 1970 is fairly definitive. 

3 hours ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

This is an old picture of Springfield Park showing the same floodlights, so why would they need ours?424175683_wigan3.jpg.21b9ddad363c3143f8257f3a6479dd14.jpg

Dunno mate, I was just saying what is written in the history books.........I wasn't actually there at Wigan on the day the lights were allegedly installed (or not).

Maybe Henry Ford was right?

• Like 1