IGNORED

Historic photos of Ashton Gate

WarksRobin

22 hours ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

This is an old picture of Springfield Park showing the same floodlights, so why would they need ours?

I424175683_wigan3.jpg.21b9ddad363c3143f8257f3a6479dd14.jpg

@Bob Taylor is GOD

I was intrigued as to what did happen so did a bit of searching and the answer is actually on the OS  (see, we should listen to Robbored!)

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/club-history/potted-history/

entry headed 1992  

1992: Andy Cole is signed from Arsenal in July for a club record fee of £500,000. The old floodlight pylons are given to Wigan Athletic.

So yes - good spot - the lights are different and not ours,  it was the pylons that were given (not sold) to Wigan.  Their first floodlight game was 19 Oct 1966

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

@Bob Taylor is GOD

I was intrigued as to what did happen so did a bit of searching and the answer is actually on the OS  (see, we should listen to Robbored!)

entry headed 1992  

1992: Andy Cole is signed from Arsenal in July for a club record fee of £500,000. The old floodlight pylons are given to Wigan Athletic.

So yes - good spot - the lights are different and not ours,  it was the pylons that were given (not sold) to Wigan.  Their first floodlight game was 19 Oct 1966

Remember we made a big play on it at the time that we were giving them away. Then it transpired that the new owners had to take them down as well which cost as much if not more than they were worth. I think Wigan may have said no thanks Mr Kew!

3 hours ago, CodeRed said:

@Bob Taylor is GOD

entry headed 1992  

Blimey. So Wigan were going to the football "food bank" for handouts in 1992; by 2005, they were helping themselves to the Premier League handouts. 

It's scary to think that this is now "history", but it came up as a memory from 7 years ago today!

fv0zu81.jpg

My first time in the new South Stand! I didn't have a ticket, but a friend of mine was on holiday and so let me borrow his season ticket so I could check out the swish new stand! 

We don't need to mention the result that day though ?

• Like 4

Talking of the old floodlights, I used to like seeing being put on around half time and how they would go from a cream to white colour as they warmed up during the early part of the 2nd half. It was so gradual you wouldn't notice that they were the only light source by the last 15 minutes of the game. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Indeed, in my head the new stands opened 2 or 3 years ago.

I remember when the seats went in front of the Dolman (where I used to stand in the boys enclosure), in the east end and the new seated enclosure and atyeo stand. The Atyeo stand must be 30 years old, and I wonder whether they could have made more of an effort to aquire the houses behind the stand and force through a much bigger stand. But I suppose there wasn't much money in the club, and I thought it looked really smart for the time. I remember us (Les Kew anyway) getting censured because of the bidding process when some contract went to David Fear Electrical.

I was alive when the Dolman Stand was built, but I had no idea how old (or new) it was when I started going to football in the 1977/78 season. In fact I had no idea that we hadn't always been a top flight team (and so took it for granted).

Keep the photos coming everyone.

9 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I was alive when the Dolman Stand was built, 

Built 1969-70. A season ticket cost £7.50. One Tuesday night at home to Oxford a strong wind blew and ripped off the transparent panels on the sides.

Cue the East End chanting "We've got the Rubble End"!

• Like 1