IGNORED

Henri Lansbury

Fordy62

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Correct....and with his pay off, he can reduce his wage demands too.

Have to confess Dave - Not sure about this at all

Has undoubted quality and if fit should help with goals ,  ...but a player who’s attitude / motivation has been questioned over the years , coming here on lower wages ......

Its a bold call

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Have to confess Dave - Not sure about this at all

Has undoubted quality and if fit should help with goals ,  ...but a player who’s attitude / motivation has been questioned over the years , coming here on lower wages ......

Its a bold call

I’m not saying I’d sign him, just explaining the financial side, as some are giving the impression that we would be paying him serious wages, whereas I think Villa mutually terminating gives an opportunity for a sensible wage....albeit that could still be deemed high in this climate.

Who knows, it might be a 6 month deal, with a year option.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not saying I’d sign him, just explaining the financial side, as some are giving the impression that we would be paying him serious wages, whereas I think Villa mutually terminating gives an opportunity for a sensible wage....albeit that could still be deemed high in this climate.

Yes - i May have mislead you by the wording of my post - I wasn’t questioning what you were saying re pay offs , wages etc and agree he would be taking a fair pay cut 

Just the overall decision to sign him

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure why Lansbury would scrap his Villa contract for a 6 month deal.

It wouldn't be my first choice- think we need cover at LB more than anything given all the injuries, it depends.

The way it can compute with FFP, Business Plans, FFI, Budgets etc depending on how much Lansbury would be on, it could work out cheaper or maybe a better way to put it, more acceptable in this respect to get Lansbury than renew existing contracts on similar or greater terms, especially if only a 6 month deal.

13 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yes - i May have mislead you by the wording of my post - I wasn’t questioning what you were saying re pay offs , wages etc and agree he would be taking a fair pay cut 

Just the overall decision to sign him

Yes, I agree.  It’s not one I was expecting.

All I would say (ignoring attitude, professionalism which have been mooted to be a prob), he’s a better free transfer at 30 than Brunt at 35/36 from a playing perspective....on paper.

You wonder whether there might be other deals (outbound) before the window.

(rumour that Ben Pearson was £250k to Bournemouth!)

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, I agree.  It’s not one I was expecting.

All I would say (ignoring attitude, professionalism which have been mooted to be a prob), he’s a better free transfer at 30 than Brunt at 35/36 from a playing perspective....on paper.

You wonder whether there might be other deals (outbound) before the window.

(rumour that Ben Pearson was £250k to Bournemouth!)

Preston doing a lot of business - tbf it looks like they are reshaping and replacing early 

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Preston doing a lot of business - tbf it looks like they are reshaping and replacing early 

Yep, exactly right....taking advantage of January to bed in Whiteman, whilst using loans to keep them around top 10 / fringes of playoffs should they get a run going.

Seems this is a permanent deal then, rather than loan. 
I go back to what I’ve mentioned here recently about the shift in transfer policy. 
I mentioned before how, chronologically, 6 of our last 7 permanent signings are currently over 30 years of age. Make that 7 out of 8. 

Now, I’ve got no problem with this, in and of itself. If we have a transfer policy that says we just want to sign any player, of any age, on any wage, as long as they improve the team, then fine. 
But that’s not the line that’s always been trotted out. 

Re Lansbury specifically. He’s a damn fine player. He could be very good for us. He’s had a lot of injuries (in particular a lot of soft muscle injuries - something we have a run on recently). If he can stay fit, he could be very good for us. 

Now that he’s terminated his Villa contract, then the finances might make a bit more sense than they did earlier. Although I’m still sure he’ll be arriving here as one of, if not the, highest paid players. 

It’s the whole context around it I find contradictory. As others have pointed out, we’re not sure of our budget for next season, so can’t offer existing players any contracts. The salary cap ‘on the horizon’ which might mean paying players more than £13k per week is a rarity. Yet here we are, more than likely paying at least that much, perhaps even double that, for an injury-prone 30 year old with only 42 starts in 5 and a half years of football.

As said, he could be a very good signing and he’s certainly been a very good player a few seasons ago. If he helps us get promoted then he pays for himself, tenfold. But I have my doubts that this will happen. I wish him all the best and hope he can kickstart his career and stay fit. I’m just a little puzzled by it all to be honest. This season, I can’t see us going up and we aren’t going down, so I think it’s an unnecessary expense and we should be looking at longer term solutions. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Seems this is a permanent deal then, rather than loan. 
I go back to what I’ve mentioned here recently about the shift in transfer policy. 
I mentioned before how, chronologically, 6 of our last 7 permanent signings are currently over 30 years of age. Make that 7 out of 8. 

Now, I’ve got no problem with this, in and of itself. If we have a transfer policy that says we just want to sign any player, of any age, on any wage, as long as they improve the team, then fine. 
But that’s not the line that’s always been trotted out. 

Re Lansbury specifically. He’s a damn fine player. He could be very good for us. He’s had a lot of injuries (in particular a lot of soft muscle injuries - something we have a run on recently). If he can stay fit, he could be very good for us. 

Now that he’s terminated his Villa contract, then the finances might make a bit more sense than they did earlier. Although I’m still sure he’ll be arriving here as one of, if not the, highest paid players. 

It’s the whole context around it I find contradictory. As others have pointed out, we’re not sure of our budget for next season, so can’t offer existing players any contracts. The salary cap ‘on the horizon’ which might mean paying players more than £13k per week is a rarity. Yet here we are, more than likely paying at least that much, perhaps even double that, for an injury-prone 30 year old with only 42 starts in 5 and a half years of football.

As said, he could be a very good signing and he’s certainly been a very good player a few seasons ago. If he helps us get promoted then he pays for himself, tenfold. But I have my doubts that this will happen. I wish him all the best and hope he can kickstart his career and stay fit. I’m just a little puzzled by it all to be honest. This season, I can’t see us going up and we aren’t going down, so I think it’s an unnecessary expense and we should be looking at longer term solutions. 

with a youngish midfield - I’d understand it moreso Harry if he was a leader ,and somebody who organised and held us together when the going gets tough 

Archived