IGNORED

Henri Lansbury

Fordy62

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

It’s the whole context around it I find contradictory. As others have pointed out, we’re not sure of our budget for next season, so can’t offer existing players any contracts. The salary cap ‘on the horizon’ which might mean paying players more than £13k per week is a rarity. Yet here we are, more than likely paying at least that much, perhaps even double that, for an injury-prone 30 year old with only 42 starts in 5 and a half years of football.

As said, he could be a very good signing and he’s certainly been a very good player a few seasons ago. If he helps us get promoted then he pays for himself, tenfold. But I have my doubts that this will happen. I wish him all the best and hope he can kickstart his career and stay fit. I’m just a little puzzled by it all to be honest. This season, I can’t see us going up and we aren’t going down, so I think it’s an unnecessary expense and we should be looking at longer term solutions. 

We will know exactly what our budget is next season....it’ll be based on no fans....and contract renewals (if any) will eat into whatever budget is set.  The budget will flex as players are re-contracted, sold, or brought in.  It is likely to be a much tighter playing budget than normal.

Re salary cap, it’s a squad budget based on (as you say c£14k pw average salary).  U21s wages are excluded, and loaned out players wage contributions can be claimed too.  If we go for a predominately younger squad (Lansbury bucks that though) in future, with lower wages then we ought to be able afford wages for the right players.  Any player under contract at the point the cap comes in, will be fine, only c£14k of their wages will count towards it.

Gonna be interesting times ahead.

3 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

If they don’t do a pun on Murder She Wrote, are they even a media team.

An injury prone 30 year old , who has played how many games in 5 seasons ? Another BS signing, that goes against the policy of developing talent. 7 out of 8 last signings 30 or over ? It clearly shows, yet again the total BS the club spew, there is no plan, there is no strategy. They make it up day to day and try to sell it as an inspired clever and cunning plan. We look as clueless and misguided as we ever have done in the last 20 years. Will it will need another relegation to make the owner , for the third time, wake up and realise he has yet again got it wrong. Maybe he should just buy Brentford and move it like MK Dons/Wimbledon to Ashton Gate. It would be cheaper and he could at least watch a proper club, with a true strategy with really enjoyable football. He can buy the complete package that he has been unable to find in 20 years and save a fortune. 

1 minute ago, Psychopomp said:

An injury prone 30 year old , who has played how many games in 5 seasons ? Another BS signing, that goes against the policy of developing talent. 7 out of 8 last signings 30 or over ? It clearly shows, yet again the total BS the club spew, there is no plan, there is no strategy. They make it up day to day and try to sell it as an inspired clever and cunning plan. We look as clueless and misguided as we ever have done in the last 20 years. Will it will need another relegation to make the owner , for the third time, wake up and realise he has yet again got it wrong. Maybe he should just buy Brentford and move it like MK Dons/Wimbledon to Ashton Gate. It would be cheaper and he could at least watch a proper club, with a true strategy with really enjoyable football. He can buy the complete package that he has been unable to find in 20 years and save a fortune. 

To be fair, we’ve been tracking him for a decade

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I hope you’re wrong . Big pressure on Ashton if this goes tits up and we don’t agree a deal with Walsh , fam etc 

Undoubtedly he’s a class player when available and firing but just feels wrong on a few levels to me. Very very happy to be proved wrong and hope I am. 

Have 1 main memory of him as a player, when he was on loan at Watford he was off the pitch injured, waiting to come back on we're on the counter breaking away and he runs on the pitch to tackle the player despite not being waived back on by the ref

Steve Lansdown told us we needed a breath of fresh air. We all got excited. We appointed Dean Holden. 

Im not sure anyone would have been particularly upset with Holden if it hadn’t been for SL’s wise words. 

Signing Lansbury is similar in my opinion. No one would complain about us signing him if Ashton hadn’t just pleaded poverty in respect of offering Walsh a contract. 

What is going on?

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Steve Lansdown told us we needed a breath of fresh air. We all got excited. We appointed Dean Holden. 

Im not sure anyone would have been particularly upset with Holden if it hadn’t been for SL’s wise words. 

Signing Lansbury is similar in my opinion. No one would complain about us signing him if Ashton hadn’t just pleaded poverty in respect of offering Walsh a contract. 

What is going on?

In fairness as @Kid in the Riot has pointed out he is here on a short term deal until the end of the season.. financially it is much less of a commitment than signing Walsh on say a 3 or 4 year deal at £10 k a week.. Not defending MA at all mind you as I cannot stand the *** but Lansbury could actually be a very shrewd addition if we can keep him fit.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think it could be a decent enough signing. If he stays fit then he's a quality operator at this level. Only here for 3.5 months so no big waste of funds.

Mutual termination of contract shows he had a willingness to come and play first team football. 

I mean he turned it down earlier when he was left out the Premier League squad, so not that committed to playing. No shame or blame, could be his last pay day, has to do what's right for him.

It's a waste of funds and can hurt the minutes the players who will be here next year at the worst. But on the positive we're trying to win, by signing a guy with a lot of ability if fit.

When was the last player with the "if fit" tag that stayed fit for us?

Interesting signing this.

Always liked him when he played but.... no games this year, prone to a knock, Joe Williams and Jamie Paterson getting fit again, Vyner in good form in midfield, formation (currently working apparently) only allows for two centre midfielders.... what now for Massengo? Walsh?

I will reserve judgement until he has had a few weeks here but our transfer policy is surprising at the moment to say the least.

4 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I mean he turned it down earlier when he was left out the Premier League squad, so not that committed to playing. No shame or blame, could be his last pay day, has to do what's right for him.

It's a waste of funds and can hurt the minutes the players who will be here next year at the worst. But on the positive we're trying to win, by signing a guy with a lot of ability if fit.

When was the last player with the "if fit" tag that stayed fit for us?

Adam Webster. 

Stop with the Robins State TV BS as well.

two seasons after he helped Villa reach the Premier League, while he also helped Norwich and West Ham United to promotion into the top flight.

He played 3 times!

He has a proven track record both in the Premier League

He has like under 20 Premier appearances in his entire career.

"Chris is going to be very useful to us on and off the field,"

“Henri will add to the group both on and off the pitch. "

Could be a very good signing.

Short term contract & No FFP to worry about.

Stop getting sand in your vag some of you with the normal crap.

Wages might be an issue.

Can't afford that way too high.

Wages might be an issue, oh not that again.

Way out of our league (what league 1 when we get relegated for not spending :laugh:)

Wages might be an issue :laugh:

Chill out!!!!!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not saying I’d sign him, just explaining the financial side, as some are giving the impression that we would be paying him serious wages, whereas I think Villa mutually terminating gives an opportunity for a sensible wage....albeit that could still be deemed high in this climate.

Who knows, it might be a 6 month deal, with a year option.

???

Archived