IGNORED

Henri Lansbury

Fordy62

One word....baffling.

If anyone genuinely thinks we are going to get in the top 6, then feel free to share what ever your smoking. With performances up to date and the lack of tactical awareness  of DH, there's no chance.

That, and Ashton comments midweek, it just seems unnecessary.

And the fact he will probably just end up on the left bloody wing.........

13 hours ago, tin said:

We haven’t regularly played through the midfield for years anyway! 

That maybe because since pack we haven’t had anyone looking to get the ball from the back four and start playing from there and a CV lot of fans used to slag off pack for doing exactly that 

Christ lets give the lad a chance there's been so much moaning about his attitude, his wages (which no one knows the details off) and now how he conducts himself in an interview Let's wait and see what he can do on the pitch before slagging him off as he is now one of us.

Always remember the outcry when we bought an ageing centre half from Leeds Utd in 1976 the rest is History RIP Norman

I think people need to stop the comments regarding him and Liam Walsh (Re contract) -

Brunt has gone and Holden obviously wants that experienced centre midfielder role in the squad, so Lansbury offers a very similar proposition considering his age, experience and quality (mainly past) so wages might have been offset by this. 

I don’t get the love in with Walsh, an unproven player at this level who’s had one outstanding season at League 1 but people think he could really impact our team in a positive way. I’d love that to happen but not likely. Not rushing to get him signed to long term contract after nearly year out is being sensible 

6 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Never mind not kicking a ball for us, he has not kicked a ball for anyone consistently for a while. May be why people are slightly concerned no?

understand what your saying and don't disagree just think we all make judgements a bit to early without a ball be kicked.

Has the sort of feel of a signing like Warnock would make to try and squeeze the last bit of motivation out of what could be a good career, i remember a few years back just after he was appointed at Cardiff before his first match against us he signed Hoilett, Bamba & Chamakh all on short term deals & look how they helped the club (ok ok, ignore Chamakh) long term, despite being a bit “past it” & “injury prone”.

Think signing Lansbury to an initial short term deal could be an extremely good future investment, as long as he is over his injury issues, time will tell.

Im amazed at how much negativity I've read around this transfer, either on here or on twitter 

It's a short term deal. There is no real risk involved. 

It's not going to hinder certain players long term development. Forget the long term development for now....let's think of the next 6 months and the fact we are 3 points outside of the play offs . 

We have (unbelievably) a real shot of top 6 here. This season is crazy and no matter how poor we look at times, all the teams around us are equally inconsistent

If we get to March and are still in a similar position....we will need all the help we can get. And a player with Lansbury's experience will be huge 

The key will be how hungry he is for it. Only time will tell. 

But can people stop saying he is going to hinder certain players development. He may only be here a few months 

Well he’s signed now so will reserve judgement till he plays but....

I think as had been said, this might be a signing based upon info we don’t know r.e injuries, players leaving or contracts.

Only short term, so no major financial issues, BUT even 6 months of blocking the pathway is enough to set back the future strategy or force someone like HNM to leave. From that point of view, doesn’t make sense.

However....despite what people say we need in terms of additions, our midfield is constantly overrun in games, so a cool head with experience and technique to help keep the ball could be massive. Is Lansbury that player? Not sure, he’s played so little who knows how his form is and he’s played so little his 6 months might be over before he’s fully fit.

Interestingly though, all this talk of youth, we’re now settling into a team that contains 2 or 3 academy players at most...a starting 11 average age high up the league of 27 plus (more if Lansbury plays I guess) - yes the bench is young, for now...but Holden and MA favouring older signings with a sprinkle of youth when squad is fully fit.

Change of strategy?

On 28/01/2021 at 22:42, Lenners said:

Lansbury’s been around for ages, but he’s only 30.

He’s the sort of signing I would like to see us make currently. Bags of talent, very much got a point to prove and out of contract in 6 months.

I’ve always admired Lansbury, very class player if he’s on it. That’s a big if, in recent years at least, but that Villa  move clearly hasn’t worked out for him, and he’s not getting any younger so he’ll want to be playing.

For those of you, like me, that are frustrated with the style of play we’ve seen over the last few years, you can’t be upset at the prospect of Lansbury. The reason I’ve been so keen to see Walsh is because we never gain a foothold in midfield, or dominate it. An on song Henri Lansbury would go some addressing that issue, in my opinion.

Always injured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope he does well, he is clearly filling in the "Chris Brunt role" and I'd definitely consider him an upgrade on Brunt.

Problem is if you consider him as anything other than a brunt replacement, this signing seems off. Why did we get rid of Korey and Morrell for this guy whose barely played?

7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Im amazed at how much negativity I've read around this transfer, either on here or on twitter 

It's a short term deal. There is no real risk involved. 

It's not going to hinder certain players long term development. Forget the long term development for now....let's think of the next 6 months and the fact we are 3 points outside of the play offs . 

We have (unbelievably) a real shot of top 6 here. This season is crazy and no matter how poor we look at times, all the teams around us are equally inconsistent

If we get to March and are still in a similar position....we will need all the help we can get. And a player with Lansbury's experience will be huge 

The key will be how hungry he is for it. Only time will tell. 

But can people stop saying he is going to hinder certain players development. He may only be here a few months 

Spot on IMO. This is (rather simplistically) a win:win or lose:lose situation, depending on the player. If HL decides this is a great opportunity to showcase his abilities then good for us and him, if he doesn’t we have invested short-term and we move on with no huge damage to our other players or finances. SL might even view it like some investments, a bit of a punt that may pay off but if it doesn’t it was worth a go as the lose isn’t devastating. 

If he adds any semblance of order and structure to our totally baffling midfield ‘formations’ he’ll get my vote. 

Could he be the ‘glue’, with Williams, that after 5 seasons actually gives our midfield an ‘identity’?

Let’s hope so. 

3 hours ago, Gratz260689 said:

Uninspiring signing? He’s gained promotion from the league on numerous occasions there is no pleasing some people!! Vyner ain’t a midfielder by the way... Walsh don’t want to be here!! 

That's a bold statement to put on a public forum; nothing that's been said by the player or club suggest it has any foundation.

You must know more.

Could you elaborate please?

I personally wish him the very best. The average Villa fan has not seen enough of him playing in the last 18 months to form a balanced, fair opinion. Many are fixated on the wages he was earning. We took him for nothing from Forest when was their standout player.

Cruelly robbed of a legitimate goal by Kevin Friend at Palace last season.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I am only 50-50 on it. For me it all depends on what role he is brought in for. I think it makes more sense that we sign Lansbury if we are selling Fam.

If we do sell Fam over the next few days then Holden might look at what we have and think lets go with one up top from now on in a sort of 4231.

That might be Wells or Martin in the lone role. He then might look at what we'd have behind that and think we have Paterson, Palmer and Semenyo who can play in the wide/attacking midfield positions. Not much else really other than Adelakun, Owura, Massengo maybe but doesn't look like Holden fancies him at the moment.

So in those circumstances I think this signing makes complete sense. Lansbury giving us an extra attacking option. 

If Lansbury is brought in to play deeper then it makes a lot less sense. As I believe we are okay there, especially now Williams is back fit.

I do agree , although williams is box to box rather than a deep lying defensive midfielder 

I’ve just waded through the twelve and a half pages of this topic, Christ what  a depressing experience!  Come on, give the bloke a chance.  We’ve got no experience in midfield at the moment and have had to try a defender in the holding role recently.  Bakinson and Massengo are very promising, but Nagy has still not proved himself, so bringing in an experienced pro with proven quality on a short term contract makes absolute sense.  It may work out, it may not, but half a season isn’t that much of a risk.  The transfer market is, understandably, almost dead at the moment and I bet there aren’t many players of Lansbury’s ability to be had.  And don’t forget that Dean Holden and Dean Smith know each other very well and I doubt that Smith would want to con his mate.  I suspect that Smith has told Holden exactly what we’re likely to get out of Lansbury and Holden think it’s worth the risk.  What is there to lose?

On 28/01/2021 at 23:20, Lenners said:

Different players mate. I assure you Nagy isn’t leaving.

I'm no expert but assuming this says Williams will 'sit' with Lansbury attacking....

Not sure where that leaves Nagy but I guess we need to be circumspect with the workloads & ahem,, possible injury ?

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Really? I honestly can't see us finishing above any of the current top 6. 

The point I was making is we have a shot. We are 3 points outside.

This season is like no other . No crowds in grounds to swing in some teams favours, especially as we head towards the last few months 

This signing is clearly a short term solution to at least try and get us to the top 6

Put it this way....no matter how slim the chance is, I think we have more of a shot with Lansbury on board for 6 months then we did without him 

Archived