Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Henri Lansbury- Comfirmed signing


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@DaveF @steviestevieneville

I'm assuming that's the Aston Villa wages we're referring to- nothing like that here in this climate surely??

I genuinely don’t know how it works Mr Pop . I’m just assuming that he’s had a pay off of some kind which enables to pay him a low ish wage with a signing on fee. As it’s only until the end of the season , it’s pretty low risk. It puts him in the shop window but also, with a possible salary cap in place next season we’re not committed to him financially. Let’s hope he’s not travelling from the midlands for training every day though 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Villa fans are more than happy to see the back of him.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/15998-henri-lansbury/page/136/

It finally looks like Joe Williams is going to be able to start playing and we sign another older player on a short term contract which is going to reduce game time for our younger developing players.  

I really don't understand the logic of this. 

 

I can see the logic here. For years we have been bossed in midfield - week in and week out. We’ve tried any number of different combinations but the result has always been the same and there’s been no improvement. Maybe we need an experienced, solid midfielder to call the shots in midfield and bring others into the game. Is it not possible that the younger midfielders might actually develop better playing around someone like this?

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Villa fans are more than happy to see the back of him.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/15998-henri-lansbury/page/136/

It finally looks like Joe Williams is going to be able to start playing and we sign another older player on a short term contract which is going to reduce game time for our younger developing players.  

I really don't understand the logic of this. 

 

I am only 50-50 on it. For me it all depends on what role he is brought in for. I think it makes more sense that we sign Lansbury if we are selling Fam.

If we do sell Fam over the next few days then Holden might look at what we have and think lets go with one up top from now on in a sort of 4231.

That might be Wells or Martin in the lone role. He then might look at what we'd have behind that and think we have Paterson, Palmer and Semenyo who can play in the wide/attacking midfield positions. Not much else really other than Adelakun, Owura, Massengo maybe but doesn't look like Holden fancies him at the moment.

So in those circumstances I think this signing makes complete sense. Lansbury giving us an extra attacking option. 

If Lansbury is brought in to play deeper then it makes a lot less sense. As I believe we are okay there, especially now Williams is back fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was positive about the signing, but having watched his interview, now have reservations about commitment & desire. Didn’t get them impression he’s particularly up for it. Seemed like he’d smoked an entire bong beforehand.

The early contract termination at Villa & short term contract is most likely a financial mechanism that works better for all parties than a subsidised loan.

Hope I’m wrong, that he’s just a laidback character & we see the best of him showcasing abilities for a new contract.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am only 50-50 on it. For me it all depends on what role he is brought in for. I think it makes more sense that we sign Lansbury if we are selling Fam.

If we do sell Fam over the next few days then Holden might look at what we have and think lets go with one up top from now on in a sort of 4231.

That might be Wells or Martin in the lone role. He then might look at what we'd have behind that and think we have Paterson, Palmer and Semenyo who can play in the wide/attacking midfield positions. Not much else really other than Adelakun, Owura, Massengo maybe but doesn't look like Holden fancies him at the moment.

So in those circumstances I think this signing makes complete sense. Lansbury giving us an extra attacking option. 

If Lansbury is brought in to play deeper then it makes a lot less sense. As I believe we are okay there, especially now Williams is back fit.

I’ve been thinking the same but even in an attacking midfielder role I’m struggling to get behind it. Palmer is finally getting a run of games and is hitting some form, Pato has returned to full training, Martin’s best attributes are linking midfield and attack. I’m scratching my head at the thought process here and where he fits in. Tbf I haven’t watched enough of him to say he’s not an upgrade but it seems a luxury signing that’s come a week after our CEO tells the world we don’t have a pot to piss in. I’ve said I don’t have a major issue with Ashton but this is yet another reason why it’s hard to trust anything he says.

I’m praying JD is not far off which is why we haven’t brought in a LB.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sludge said:

I’m confused. On transfer threads we have ample midfield options. On the match day threads our midfield is non existent 🤯😫

Don’t forget on match day threads all our midfield is shit as well😂 now they are all class if we can use it to slag the club off 

  • Like 2
  • Flames 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't get this. We have a really strong squad now don't we?

Where would you say we are weak?

I dont think many City fans thought the relegation team was weak either, just full of overpaid journeymen like now with a sprinkling of quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

I’ve been thinking the same but even in an attacking midfielder role I’m struggling to get behind it. Palmer is finally getting a run of games and is hitting some form, Pato has returned to full training, Martin’s best attributes are linking midfield and attack. I’m scratching my head at the thought process here and where he fits in. Tbf I haven’t watched enough of him to say he’s not an upgrade but it seems a luxury signing that’s come a week after our CEO tells the world we don’t have a pot to piss in. I’ve said I don’t have a major issue with Ashton but this is yet another reason why it’s hard to trust anything he says.

I’m praying JD is not far off which is why we haven’t brought in a LB.

Yep I get what you're saying.

At least it's just until the summer and we can then maybe decide whether to keep him here if he wants to stay.

I'm not really sure on the contract situations and what the truth is there. I think we offered Pack a new deal right as his contract was ending. We are now doing the same with any we might want to keep other than Fam who seems have a lot of interest from other clubs.

Fans don't seem to be asking the same thing about Hunt and Paterson who are regular starters, yet many would probably think they will sign a new contract in the summer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I thought we were terrible!

I read this and thought to myself, nope that squad was good so decided to check it out myself.... boy was i wrong! 
 

Stephen Mcmanus

Matthew Bates

Neil Kilkenny

Martin Woolford 

Paul Anderson

Stephen Pearson

Ryan Taylor

Mark Wilson

Lewin Nyatanga

Liam Kelly

Brendan Moloney

and worst of a truly woeful bunch by some distance Richard ******* Foster!

All played a big part in the season! No wonder they finished rock bottom! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

I was positive about the signing, but having watched his interview, now have reservations about commitment & desire. Didn’t get them impression he’s particularly up for it. Seemed like he’d smoked an entire bong beforehand.

The early contract termination at Villa & short term contract is most likely a financial mechanism that works better for all parties than a subsidised loan.

Hope I’m wrong, that he’s just a laidback character & we see the best of him showcasing abilities for a new contract.

Can’t disagree with this, it was the impression I got from his interview. The one saving grace for me is that I’m fairly sure Paul Hartley was the same. Definitely a player in there, just hope he shows it. COYR

Link to post
Share on other sites

One word....baffling.

If anyone genuinely thinks we are going to get in the top 6, then feel free to share what ever your smoking. With performances up to date and the lack of tactical awareness  of DH, there's no chance.

That, and Ashton comments midweek, it just seems unnecessary.

And the fact he will probably just end up on the left bloody wing.........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tin said:

We haven’t regularly played through the midfield for years anyway! 

That maybe because since pack we haven’t had anyone looking to get the ball from the back four and start playing from there and a CV lot of fans used to slag off pack for doing exactly that 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Christ lets give the lad a chance there's been so much moaning about his attitude, his wages (which no one knows the details off) and now how he conducts himself in an interview Let's wait and see what he can do on the pitch before slagging him off as he is now one of us.

Always remember the outcry when we bought an ageing centre half from Leeds Utd in 1976 the rest is History RIP Norman

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people need to stop the comments regarding him and Liam Walsh (Re contract) -

Brunt has gone and Holden obviously wants that experienced centre midfielder role in the squad, so Lansbury offers a very similar proposition considering his age, experience and quality (mainly past) so wages might have been offset by this. 

I don’t get the love in with Walsh, an unproven player at this level who’s had one outstanding season at League 1 but people think he could really impact our team in a positive way. I’d love that to happen but not likely. Not rushing to get him signed to long term contract after nearly year out is being sensible 

Edited by brad blit
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Never mind not kicking a ball for us, he has not kicked a ball for anyone consistently for a while. May be why people are slightly concerned no?

understand what your saying and don't disagree just think we all make judgements a bit to early without a ball be kicked.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the sort of feel of a signing like Warnock would make to try and squeeze the last bit of motivation out of what could be a good career, i remember a few years back just after he was appointed at Cardiff before his first match against us he signed Hoilett, Bamba & Chamakh all on short term deals & look how they helped the club (ok ok, ignore Chamakh) long term, despite being a bit “past it” & “injury prone”.

Think signing Lansbury to an initial short term deal could be an extremely good future investment, as long as he is over his injury issues, time will tell.

Edited by Mr Hankey
Link to post
Share on other sites

Im amazed at how much negativity I've read around this transfer, either on here or on twitter 

It's a short term deal. There is no real risk involved. 

It's not going to hinder certain players long term development. Forget the long term development for now....let's think of the next 6 months and the fact we are 3 points outside of the play offs . 

We have (unbelievably) a real shot of top 6 here. This season is crazy and no matter how poor we look at times, all the teams around us are equally inconsistent

If we get to March and are still in a similar position....we will need all the help we can get. And a player with Lansbury's experience will be huge 

The key will be how hungry he is for it. Only time will tell. 

But can people stop saying he is going to hinder certain players development. He may only be here a few months 

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Flames 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he’s signed now so will reserve judgement till he plays but....

I think as had been said, this might be a signing based upon info we don’t know r.e injuries, players leaving or contracts.

Only short term, so no major financial issues, BUT even 6 months of blocking the pathway is enough to set back the future strategy or force someone like HNM to leave. From that point of view, doesn’t make sense.

However....despite what people say we need in terms of additions, our midfield is constantly overrun in games, so a cool head with experience and technique to help keep the ball could be massive. Is Lansbury that player? Not sure, he’s played so little who knows how his form is and he’s played so little his 6 months might be over before he’s fully fit.

Interestingly though, all this talk of youth, we’re now settling into a team that contains 2 or 3 academy players at most...a starting 11 average age high up the league of 27 plus (more if Lansbury plays I guess) - yes the bench is young, for now...but Holden and MA favouring older signings with a sprinkle of youth when squad is fully fit.

Change of strategy?

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/01/2021 at 22:42, Lenners said:

Lansbury’s been around for ages, but he’s only 30.

He’s the sort of signing I would like to see us make currently. Bags of talent, very much got a point to prove and out of contract in 6 months.

I’ve always admired Lansbury, very class player if he’s on it. That’s a big if, in recent years at least, but that Villa  move clearly hasn’t worked out for him, and he’s not getting any younger so he’ll want to be playing.

For those of you, like me, that are frustrated with the style of play we’ve seen over the last few years, you can’t be upset at the prospect of Lansbury. The reason I’ve been so keen to see Walsh is because we never gain a foothold in midfield, or dominate it. An on song Henri Lansbury would go some addressing that issue, in my opinion.

Always injured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

We have (unbelievably) a real shot of top 6 here. This season is crazy and no matter how poor we look at times, all the teams around us are equally inconsistent

Really? I honestly can't see us finishing above any of the current top 6. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Really? I honestly can't see us finishing above any of the current top 6. 

Bournemouth are slipping but we’ve still got to outrun the wily old fox up on Teeside too....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope he does well, he is clearly filling in the "Chris Brunt role" and I'd definitely consider him an upgrade on Brunt.

Problem is if you consider him as anything other than a brunt replacement, this signing seems off. Why did we get rid of Korey and Morrell for this guy whose barely played?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...