IGNORED

Henri Lansbury

Fordy62

I'm an optimist by nature and normally try to see the positives in all things Bristol City. I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I just don't see the point in this signing as I don't think he solves a short term or long term need. Hasn't played his best football for years. Would much rather the $ was spent on contracts for Walsh and Fam 

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Would it be possible , if villa paid him up the rest of his contract on a weekly/ monthly basis and we pay him a lower basic plus signing on fee . Just thinking out loud really 

Not 100% sure. I think it's one of those where I wouldn't be shocked if we were paying him stupid money, if he has been paid out by Villa and is on low wage, is on a short term deal at lower wage with a view to getting a move/earning a higher contract. Point is there no point assuming anything until we know more details. 

19 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Our recruitment policy, are we just looking at the best players of the 2013/14 season in the Championship now?...

Martin, Brunt, Mariappa, Wells and now potentially Lansbury? 

So we know who's already on Ashton's "To Buy" list for 2028 . Why bother with the Transfer Forum in years to come? 

Can play Lansbury and Williams together. That will allow Pato to play behind a front 3.

Sounds quiet attacking.

If we can get the full backs playing more like wingbacks sounds quiet exciting. 

Aginst the Better teams could sacrifice Pato for an extra man in midfield.

Gives the team a good balance and I hope sorts the midfield problem we have had for the last 3 years.

I guess with so much youth, and that’s certainly our way going forward with Tinnion’s new role, we need experience in the team too.

Not against older players with no resale, but we have to be sure he is a ‘Wilbraham’ not a ‘Brunt’

31 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Depends if villa are paying him up . We give him a lower basic wage . Not quite sure how it works . Don’t know how accurate this list is , £40k per week. We won’t be paying him that . 

29D23C13-5521-43A6-8049-34E7F524CFA1.jpeg

Let’s just say he’s on £40k per week as above.

He might say to Villa - “I can sit on my arse for the next 5 months (+1 month pay off) and it’ll cost you £1m, I’m not in your squad, nobody is gonna pay my loan wages, so let’s agree a mutual termination....it’ll save you some money, and I can get fixed up elsewhere”.

Lets just say he takes a 60% pay off, £600k, he’s then opening his options up get picked up, because his new club have no fee to pay.

Say we offered him a deal to summer 22 with a year option, so a 17 month deal at £15k per week.  He’s gonna earn about £1.1m in that time.  No fee for City, no ongoing amortisation.

Im not saying I’m fully backing this, but trying to explain the finances.  At those kind of figures it’s cheaper than trying to pay a fee and wages for a player.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He might say to Villa - “I can sit on my arse for the next 5 months (+1 month pay off) and it’ll cost you £1m, I’m not in your squad, nobody is gonna pay my loan wages, so let’s agree a mutual termination....it’ll save you some money, and I can get fixed up elsewhere”.

Lets just say he takes a 60% pay off, £600k, he’s then opening his options up get picked up, because his new club have no fee to pay.

Say we offered him a deal to summer 22 with a year option, so a 17 month deal at £15k per week.  He’s gonna earn about £1.1m in that time.  No fee for City, no ongoing amortisation.

Im not saying I’m fully backing this, but trying to explain the finances.  At those kind of figures it’s cheaper than trying to pay a fee and wages for a player.

Makes a lot of sense this Dave and I still think Lansbury has a lot of quality and could be a big player for us. I think a lot of the perceived success of this transfer may come down to what happens with Liam Walsh? My concern is if Walsh then goes on to leave us in the summer because we haven't offered him a similar sized contract or feels his pathway is blocked to regular games and goes on to have a storming career with large sell on value value elsewhere. I see the two as a similar style of player I don't know if you agree?

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks. Thought I’d throw the question out there as I really have no clue how it works . After Ashton came out with reason of not knowing our next budget & possible salary cap. I did think it would have to be a decent financial package for the club. If that’s possible 

1 minute ago, WirralRobin said:

Makes a lot of sense this Dave and I still think Lansbury has a lot of quality and could be a big player for us. I think a lot of the perceived success of this transfer may come down to what happens with Liam Walsh? My concern is if Walsh then goes on to leave us in the summer because we haven't offered him a similar sized contract or feels his pathway is blocked to regular games and goes on to have a storming career with large sell on value value elsewhere. I see the two as a similar style of player I don't know if you agree?

Think I’d have preferred a loan, but let’s see if it’s as per twitter.

This might have been clarified earlier but is this the old bird who was in Murder She Wrote?

Or is it another Lansbury?

Eitherway it’s a thumbs up from me. This might be what it takes for those who think Steve knows what he’s doing to realise he hasn’t got a ******* clue......

Never mind though eh? How are the Bears doing? And is The Killers still on? ?

26 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Can play Lansbury and Williams together. That will allow Pato to play behind a front 3.

Sounds quiet attacking.

If we can get the full backs playing more like wingbacks sounds quiet exciting. 

Aginst the Better teams could sacrifice Pato for an extra man in midfield.

Gives the team a good balance and I hope sorts the midfield problem we have had for the last 3 years.

Perhaps Pato won’t sign or be offered a new contract and Angela Lansbury is his replacement. 

Have you all thought of that , have you ? 

How odd.

Sort of signing that if somebody suggested it on here, I’d think it was a terrible shout.

I actually thought it was fair enough that Ashton talked about players not being offered new contracts because of the current situation.. but to then sign Henri Lansbury? Odd.

He’s a decent player, but I just don’t see how it makes to sign him at the present time..

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Sorry Dave but are you saying we'd get him for nothing? Villa pay up his contract and he plays for free to try and attract clubs to sign him. 

Villa tried to terminate his contract earlier in the season but Lansbury said no.

1 hour ago, !james said:

Truly baffling. Ashton pleads poverty, we’ve got no money to renew any contracts until the end of the season then all of a sudden we’re seemingly on the verge of signing someone who is on £40k a week? WTAF? We urgently need a left-back, not another 30+ midfielder. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Lansbury can certainly score goals. Just had a quick look and at one point he scored 7 in 7 for Forest. Remember one season he was right up there in the championship top goalscorers charts.

That was in 2014/15. The fact is he’s been besieged with injuries and struggled for form for the last four years. 

Archived