IGNORED

Henri Lansbury

Fordy62

If this is true and he signs on a permanent, this does send out an odd message after Mark's interview and comments regarding the ability to offer new deals to existing players. Even on a free I would have thought he will be on a fair wedge. 

As said above, I agreed with Marks comments which made sense given the current climate but then this (rumoured) signing feels like a bit of a back track....or maybe his interview was an intentional distraction of the current situation to keep this deal quiet? Who knows.

Either way, I'm nervous of signing a 30 year old who has played limited football recently (according to his wiki profile has played 23 league games in the past 4 seasons)

3 minutes ago, tin said:

Villa tried to terminate his contract earlier in the season but Lansbury said no.

Truly baffling. Ashton pleads poverty, we’ve got no money to renew any contracts until the end of the season then all of a sudden we’re seemingly on the verge of signing someone who is on £40k a week? WTAF? We urgently need a left-back, not another 30+ midfielder. 

That was in 2014/15. The fact is he’s been besieged with injuries and struggled for form for the last four years. 

Yeh coz our midfield is so strong and never gets overun 

Anything that helps develop a modicum of coherence in a presently totally dysfunctional unit would help.

No idea whether this chap will help achieve that.

It looks like he might have at least one attribute - much needed physicality. 

4 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Anything that helps develop a modicum of coherence in a presently totally dysfunctional unit would help.

No idea whether this chap will help achieve that.

It looks like he might have at least one attribute - much needed physicality. 

Not sure he’s known for his physicality is he? I dunno, it’s so long since he played football that I’ve forgotten, but I remember him as a good passer, if a little lightweight. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Not sure he’s known for his physicality is he? I dunno, it’s so long since he played football that I’ve forgotten, but I remember him as a good passer, if a little lightweight. 

Strong on a ball, a decently built 6 footer.  Nice passer, but not lightweight.

A 30 yr old with questions about attitude and availability throughout most of his career

& Can’t remember him impressing me too often over the years

People saying ‘has a point to prove’

Bit late at 30 , it’s been said about him since he left Arsenal

Hope I’m wrong in every aspect but not one I would have been going after

14 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

I’d be gutted if Paterson left aswell 

Has looked a better player every time he does not play. 

I like Pato. Has been more consistent since his loan and he scores goals.

Our midfield is so light in terms of goals that Pato and Wienman have been missed.

Lansbury not that type of player so hopefully not a replacement for Pato.

If we play a back 3 with Baker back in, Williams and Lansbury in Midfield and Fammy up top the team suddenly looks a lot more physical.  

Can then play Wells, Pato and Antoine to add some pace.

The teams looks more equipped for the championship at the top end.

Just need to keep them all fit...

5 minutes ago, Better Red said:

If we play a back 3 with Baker back in, Williams and Lansbury in Midfield and Fammy up top the team suddenly looks a lot more physical.  

Can then play Wells, Pato and Antoine to add some pace.

The teams looks more equipped for the championship at the top end.

Just need to keep them all fit...

On paper maybe. Don't forget even a squad of world class players can look bang average if they're set up wrong and trying to play to tactics that don't work.  I think we may need to invest in the coaching set up some more to get the best out of the players at the moment. 

Thoughts from a Villa mate: "Very good footballer and can pick a pass. Always impressed in cup games but the moment he was given an opportunity in the league he just never turned up. The game passed him by. Championship is definitely his level and he has the ability to make a real impact if his head is right." I guess we'll see but seems baffling, especially now Palmer coming into some kind of form

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

So if I’ve got this right ,

we can’t offer contracts to our players who are OOC in June as we don’t know where we are financially atm , but we can commit to signing a 30 yr old who will still be one of our top earners , and will have no resale value 

The thing with Ashton, he’s clever / careful / sly (you decide) with his words.  In the window he doesn’t want to say we’ve got lots of money.

But I do agree that unless the players and him are on the same hymn sheet with contract discussions he’s making a rod for his own back if he signs players like Lansbury.

Maybe some players have already stated their aims for the summer, and this is a bit of succession planning.

So many angles to this....most be can’t see.

Its not a deal we saw coming despite the sub-forum heading!

Will be interested in how DH and MA rationalise this one.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The thing with Ashton, he’s clever / careful / sly (you decide) with his words.  In the window he doesn’t want to say we’ve got lots of money.

But I do agree that unless the players and him are on the same hymn sheet with contract discussions he’s making a rod for his own back if he signs players like Lansbury.

Maybe some players have already stated their aims for the summer, and this is a bit of succession planning.

Will the two of them come out with the same story this time I wonder?!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think this is an excellent signing.

Archived