IGNORED

Henri Lansbury

Fordy62

i think this is a bloody good signing, all i hope is henri does not read this forum, why oh why do people on here have to be so negative when the poor lad has not even kicked a ball for us, I could not give 2 shits what villa fans say or or the wage the lads on or his bloody contract all that counts is the lad is in a red shirt now playing for our club and that's good enough for me.

He has good attributes- not bad technically.

He's experienced but not too old- rather different to Brunt in that respect.

Could that mix of experience and quality but not too old to be clearly past his best benefit us? Hope he does well.

Based on a quick search, at Nottingham Forest he averaged 9-10 goals a season at Championship level. This is an area we definitely lack in and granted somewhat different at Aston Villa but a few goals from CM would be very welcome- but we have to play to his strengths, a central 2 and I'm not sure. Okay got it slightly wrong, 32 goals in about 4 and a half seasons- that was me taking in his Championship seasons prior to Nottingham Forest as well but IF he can provide a few goals from midfield that would be excellent.

13 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Oh I know and we shouldn`t be but I`ve been treating this season as a bit of a `holding` one TBH with everything that`s gone on. I fully expected to finish somewhere between ninth and fourteenth and then go again next season.

The club won`t be though I guess and signings like this should reassure me they aren`t.

The way you're viewing it is sensible and one I agree with.

However, expectations and hopes dont have to be identical. 

Unlikely as it may seem from recent performances, top 6 is possible. 

I dont expect we'll make top 6, but with the points as they are it would be madness for the club to consider it out of reach

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He has good attributes- not bad technically.

He's experienced but not too old- rather different to Brunt in that respect.

Could that mix of experience and quality but not too old to be clearly past his best benefit us? Hope he does well.

Based on a quick search, at Nottingham Forest he averaged 9-10 goals a season at Championship level. This is an area we definitely lack in and granted somewhat different at Aston Villa but a few goals from CM would be very welcome- but we have to play to his strengths, a central 2 and I'm not sure. Okay got it slightly wrong, 32 goals in about 4 and a half seasons- that was me taking in his Championship seasons prior to Nottingham Forest as well but IF he can provide a few goals from midfield that would be excellent.

What makes you think that he can re-produce his Forest form when Dean Smith didn’t give him a shirt this year?

Not trying to be negative but what can we get out of him that has clearly not been there for a while?

17 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Weird signing. Surely we have other gaps in our squad?

However you need a player available on a free/loan to be able to fill it.

Interestingly perhaps CM was the position the loan was referring to with targets getting injured

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

What makes you think that he can re-produce his Forest form when Dean Smith didn’t give him a shirt this year?

Not trying to be negative but what can we get out of him that has clearly not been there for a while?

Different levels, Aston Villa had outgrown him- was quite good vs us albeit we rested a few. Top half of PL is a LONG way off playoff contending in general, though some sides can bridge the gap between the two Leagues.

Am comparing like with like, ie Championship level- or as close to Championship.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Different levels, Aston Villa had outgrown him- was quite good vs us albeit we rested a few. Top half of PL is a LONG way off playoff contending in general, though some sides can bridge the gap between the two Leagues.

Am comparing like with like, ie Championship level- or as close to Championship.

Ok thanks for the reply.

So going on what you have said, from what I can decipher: what makes you think that he can cut it for a side wanting a top 6 finish? A few years on from from “levels” with Forest? 

51 minutes ago, big dosser said:

i think this is a bloody good signing, all i hope is henri does not read this forum, why oh why do people on here have to be so negative when the poor lad has not even kicked a ball for us, I could not give 2 shits what villa fans say or or the wage the lads on or his bloody contract all that counts is the lad is in a red shirt now playing for our club and that's good enough for me.

Never mind not kicking a ball for us, he has not kicked a ball for anyone consistently for a while. May be why people are slightly concerned no?

4 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Pretty uninspiring signing. Let us hope it does not block the development of Bakinson,Vyner and Walsh if we get him fit enough to play.

Uninspiring signing? He’s gained promotion from the league on numerous occasions there is no pleasing some people!! Vyner ain’t a midfielder by the way... Walsh don’t want to be here!! 

Welcome to Bristol City HL. With Chris Brunt moving on city are using his wage to accommodate HL IMO. I thought we would of secured a left back with the injuries we have there. And the imbalance playing right footed players at left back is a no from me. Hopefully Tommy Rowe will be back soon. Our midfield whilst the young lads have done well is crying out for some extra quality. And if HL can’t get up to speed quickly he will certainly bring that IMO. Why we didn’t just offer Korey Smith a new contract if we were going down the more experienced midfielder route is the most puzzling choice city have made. 

This signing makes no sense to be to be honest. From mates who have seen a lot more of him than me the general consensus seems to be he's a bang average championship player.

I would personally rather give Massengo more game time. These 30 plus signings seem to rarely pay off. 

We aren't going to go down and we clearly aren't good enough to go up. Think it would benefit us more to give our promising younger players more game time personally. 

Villa fans are more than happy to see the back of him.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/15998-henri-lansbury/page/136/

It finally looks like Joe Williams is going to be able to start playing and we sign another older player on a short term contract which is going to reduce game time for our younger developing players.  

I really don't understand the logic of this. 

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@DaveF @steviestevieneville

I'm assuming that's the Aston Villa wages we're referring to- nothing like that here in this climate surely??

I genuinely don’t know how it works Mr Pop . I’m just assuming that he’s had a pay off of some kind which enables to pay him a low ish wage with a signing on fee. As it’s only until the end of the season , it’s pretty low risk. It puts him in the shop window but also, with a possible salary cap in place next season we’re not committed to him financially. Let’s hope he’s not travelling from the midlands for training every day though 

15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Villa fans are more than happy to see the back of him.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/15998-henri-lansbury/page/136/

It finally looks like Joe Williams is going to be able to start playing and we sign another older player on a short term contract which is going to reduce game time for our younger developing players.  

I really don't understand the logic of this. 

I can see the logic here. For years we have been bossed in midfield - week in and week out. We’ve tried any number of different combinations but the result has always been the same and there’s been no improvement. Maybe we need an experienced, solid midfielder to call the shots in midfield and bring others into the game. Is it not possible that the younger midfielders might actually develop better playing around someone like this?

I was positive about the signing, but having watched his interview, now have reservations about commitment & desire. Didn’t get them impression he’s particularly up for it. Seemed like he’d smoked an entire bong beforehand.

The early contract termination at Villa & short term contract is most likely a financial mechanism that works better for all parties than a subsidised loan.

Hope I’m wrong, that he’s just a laidback character & we see the best of him showcasing abilities for a new contract.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am only 50-50 on it. For me it all depends on what role he is brought in for. I think it makes more sense that we sign Lansbury if we are selling Fam.

If we do sell Fam over the next few days then Holden might look at what we have and think lets go with one up top from now on in a sort of 4231.

That might be Wells or Martin in the lone role. He then might look at what we'd have behind that and think we have Paterson, Palmer and Semenyo who can play in the wide/attacking midfield positions. Not much else really other than Adelakun, Owura, Massengo maybe but doesn't look like Holden fancies him at the moment.

So in those circumstances I think this signing makes complete sense. Lansbury giving us an extra attacking option. 

If Lansbury is brought in to play deeper then it makes a lot less sense. As I believe we are okay there, especially now Williams is back fit.

I’ve been thinking the same but even in an attacking midfielder role I’m struggling to get behind it. Palmer is finally getting a run of games and is hitting some form, Pato has returned to full training, Martin’s best attributes are linking midfield and attack. I’m scratching my head at the thought process here and where he fits in. Tbf I haven’t watched enough of him to say he’s not an upgrade but it seems a luxury signing that’s come a week after our CEO tells the world we don’t have a pot to piss in. I’ve said I don’t have a major issue with Ashton but this is yet another reason why it’s hard to trust anything he says.

I’m praying JD is not far off which is why we haven’t brought in a LB.

19 hours ago, sludge said:

I’m confused. On transfer threads we have ample midfield options. On the match day threads our midfield is non existent ??

Don’t forget on match day threads all our midfield is shit as well? now they are all class if we can use it to slag the club off 

Don't think it's been mentioned elsewhere in the thread but a fun little fact for you - Lansbury was a member of Arsenal's FA Youth Cup winning side of 2008/2009 alongside Luke Ayling and captained by Jay Emmanuel Thomas!

Jack Wilshere was in that side too

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/where-are-they-now-arsenals-2008-09-fa-youth-cup-winners/

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I thought we were terrible!

I read this and thought to myself, nope that squad was good so decided to check it out myself.... boy was i wrong! 

Stephen Mcmanus

Matthew Bates

Neil Kilkenny

Martin Woolford 

Paul Anderson

Stephen Pearson

Ryan Taylor

Mark Wilson

Lewin Nyatanga

Liam Kelly

Brendan Moloney

and worst of a truly woeful bunch by some distance Richard ******* Foster!

All played a big part in the season! No wonder they finished rock bottom! 

15 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

I was positive about the signing, but having watched his interview, now have reservations about commitment & desire. Didn’t get them impression he’s particularly up for it. Seemed like he’d smoked an entire bong beforehand.

The early contract termination at Villa & short term contract is most likely a financial mechanism that works better for all parties than a subsidised loan.

Hope I’m wrong, that he’s just a laidback character & we see the best of him showcasing abilities for a new contract.

Can’t disagree with this, it was the impression I got from his interview. The one saving grace for me is that I’m fairly sure Paul Hartley was the same. Definitely a player in there, just hope he shows it. COYR

Archived