IGNORED

Dickie Downs.

Roadrunner

31 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Just saw the name Downs somewhere and got me thinking about Dickie Downs who played for us back in the 60s. Any one what happened to him.

He was always in the Waggon & Horses,stapleton rd.It was my local at the time and Dickie was always in for a lockin.I also played against him when he was playing for Downend.

My claim to fame is when he was at City, and I was at school, I once sat behind him on a bus going to the ground. He played in the match and I stood on the terraces. I’m sure he was sold to a lower league team (maybe Bradford) in an area that had an industry producing cloth. When he was back in Bristol he made some extra money selling cloth to tailors to make suits 

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

My claim to fame is when he was at City, and I was at school, I once sat behind him on a bus going to the ground. He played in the match and I stood on the terraces. I’m sure he was sold to a lower league team (maybe Bradford) in an area that had an industry producing cloth. When he was back in Bristol he made some extra money selling cloth to tailors to make suits 

I believe it was Oldham and Swindon his other clubs he played at .

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I remember a 3-3 draw at home to Portsmouth on a Friday night when we let youth have a go and Downs scored two and another youngster, Jimmy Giles, scored the other.  Neither did much for us though and they were both soon on their way.

Albert Mccann got a hat-trick, I remember and Gibbo had his ONE poor game .

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I remember a 3-3 draw at home to Portsmouth on a Friday night when we let youth have a go and Downs scored two and another youngster, Jimmy Giles, scored the other.  Neither did much for us though and they were both soon on their way.

Was that Johnny Giles?  

22 hours ago, BobbyC said:

He was always in the Waggon & Horses,stapleton rd.It was my local at the time and Dickie was always in for a lockin.I also played against him when he was playing for Downend.

The wagon and Horses, that take me back. I grew up along the road from there. Stapleton Rd ain’t what it used to be!

17 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

yes

Believe it or not my first game for Imperial Bristol (I was 16/17) was with Johnny.  He must’ve been 40s???

Last season I was in the coffee shop at AG having taken my dad to a game.  These two blokes came in and started chatting to my dad about golf.  My dad turned to me and said “you won’t know who this chap is Dave”, expecting me to say “no”....but I replied....”yeah, that’s Johnny Giles”.  Both were a bit shocked until I told my dad the above.

Johnny was a scout for Southampton and Villa.

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I usually don’t remember specific matches from the distant past but, for some reason, I remember this one.  It was one of the many false dawns where I thought we had suddenly found some new exciting players. Unfortunately, as you say, Downs and Giles didn’t really do much else for City and they left. 

17 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes worked with john on W. P . D  Dave imperial did they change there name to Imperial saints i played fot them bottom of Sturminster road .

No, there were a few Imperial teams at Sturminster Road.

Imperial Bristol - Somerset Senior League Prem (Trevor Tainton was there) - main pitch (I was there circa 87-90)

Imperial Untd - Somerset too - big local Derby - bottom pitch

Imperial Saints - District or Suburban

Think there was a Sunday team called Imperial Cosmos too.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, there were a few Imperial teams at Sturminster Road.

Imperial Bristol - Somerset Senior League Prem (Trevor Tainton was there) - main pitch (I was there circa 87-90)

Imperial Untd - Somerset too - big local Derby - bottom pitch

Imperial Saints - District or Suburban

Think there was a Sunday team called Imperial Cosmos too.

Yes Dave it was Suburban left them for Bristol st george reserves when i had a break from watching city .

Archived