IGNORED

For the love of God, sack him!

dREDful

23 hours ago, Real Red said:

I would be amazed if we sack Holden, the club will cite we are only 6pts off the play offs in an injury ravaged squad etc etc. If we do though, we will probably interview for 6 weeks and end up with Paul Simpson!
With Ashton doing the interviews do you really think we will get a different 'style' of manager?

www.otibclothing.co.uk

I am sick of hearing DH saying we were awful and we will have hard words. Lets see the plan he sent then out with, before we blame them for not executing it. Anyone with an brain would know that Cardiff would exploit the left back situation and use their massive height and power.

So DH what did you create with your tactics to counter this. 

By watching senior pros like Kalas and Mawson of late, I think they just have no faith in this coach and the way he is setting up the team.

We are leaking goals, we are not even creating shots on target and we play with zero passion and zero energy.

Buy yourself a mirror DH, you will find the answer to your problems looking you right in the face. You just don't have what it takes and the players know it.

58 minutes ago, Spike said:

What bothers me the most about this is Forest, Hughton proving all those who were saying we didn't need him when Holden took over wrong. 

Hughton has taken a Forest team who had no confidence or direction and look at their form now. 

We really missed an opportunity with him and the fact that we took on Holden shows the utter lack of realisation that the coach /manager role is the most important signing that you can make if you genuinely want progression. 

I think your last sentence sums it up beautifully Spike. It most certainly should be the most important in any other club but not in ours as that's currently the CEO. It explains our current apathy TBH, certainly mine.

20 minutes ago, RedRock said:

At 22/23, having served a 5+ year apprenticeship, imo a footballer (aside from a keeper) should be entering the peak phase of his career. High intensity, aggressive football demands fit, mobile athletes. 

If they are still ‘raw’ at 22/23 - which I wouldn’t disagree- questions need to be asked about either our youth scouting system ( didn’t we pay 500k for Bakinson?), the player development strategy or both. 

RR, face the reality of our club. Once a player is deemed as not 'raw' any more, they're injured!

Get with the process man! ;)

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not true, generally footballers peak from 27-31. 

By that age generally players have plenty of game experience, physicality and have grown into their ‘man strength’.

A good example is Cristiano Ronaldo. He was clearly a world class player at 22/23 but had holes in his game. With game experience and a development on his S&C he’s become a complete player.

Ummm... but there’s also loads of evidence to the contrary.... peak physical strength in humans is at 25.

Owen peaked at 18-early 20’s,  Maraddona peaked 23-28 probably.

Think we all know as Bristol City fans that the older you get the more injury-prone you become. So you might be ‘cuter’ in how to deploy your (diminishing) power but you are far more likely to damage yourself in the process. 

As most know who has played a fair standard of football past 29-30 years of age......you start using your body often by subtle fouls to gain advantage over your younger opponents. ‘Gentle nudges’  I made post that age rapidly increased in frequency every season! When I seemed to spend more time in hospital than on the pitch at 33 it was time to hang the boots up. 

46 minutes ago, RedRock said:

At 22/23, having served a 5+ year apprenticeship, imo a footballer (aside from a keeper) should be entering the peak phase of his career. High intensity, aggressive football demands fit, mobile athletes. 

If they are still ‘raw’ at 22/23 - which I wouldn’t disagree- questions need to be asked about either our youth scouting system ( didn’t we pay 500k for Bakinson?), the player development strategy or both. 

They should be ready to enter a 1st team environment by the age of 22/23, the experienced gained from first team football allows them to peak within the next few years. Now some players will be ready to enter the environment at a younger age allowing the development to peak to start and potentially last longer. 

59 minutes ago, RedRock said:

We paid £1m for Bakinson but to be fair he's good he just needs games. 

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

They should be ready to enter a 1st team environment by the age of 22/23, the experienced gained from first team football allows them to peak within the next few years. Now some players will be ready to enter the environment at a younger age allowing the development to peak to start and potentially last longer. 

Yep, agree. Which is what I’m saying they should be entering peak phase - note reference to phase in my op. That can be of duration of 5-10 years - some exceptionals (like Wilbs in our case) may last longer before the inevitable decline.

52 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I guess Bakinson would be out on loan again if we didn't have so many injuries, so he's prbably been pressed into service a little ahead of schedule. Like you say though, if he's not ready by age 22 going on 23 when will he be? How long are we having to wait, all the while sacking managers for not getting us into the playoffs??

As for Semenyo, I think it's been said on here before about his background - he didn't play Academy football, didn't even start playing the game seriously until some time in his teens. And boy does it show. He serves up the excellent and the inadequate in equal measure - I didn't see the game on Saturday but read on here that he blew a 3 on 1 attack at one point. That's simply not good enough. Again, how long do we wait for him to learn the ropes? I think it's completely unrealistic to expect a manager to deliver the playoffs when you also expect him to pick players as raw as Semenyo. It's either one or the other for me which, I suspect, is what everyone interviewed for the manager's job says. Everyone except Dean Holden who, as the insider, knew exactly what Ashton and Lansdown wanted to hear, no matter how unrealistic it is.  

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I think your last sentence sums it up beautifully Spike. It most certainly should be the most important in any other club but not in ours as that's currently the CEO. It explains our current apathy TBH, certainly mine.

Exactly! I think Ashton has some fantastic qualities BUT I think it's his ego that's holding him back from being loved at this club. He wants to be the man we all love, he wants to be the man who makes us take that big step up but in doing so he's unwilling to hire a manager who will come in and be the man in charge because Ashton wants to remain that man.

57 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Ummm... but there’s also loads of evidence to the contrary.... peak physical strength in humans is at 25.

Owen peaked at 18-early 20’s,  Maraddona peaked 23-28 probably.

Think we all know as Bristol City fans that the older you get the more injury-prone you become. So you might be ‘cuter’ in how to deploy your (diminishing) power but you are far more likely to damage yourself in the process. 

As most know who has played a fair standard of football past 29-30 years of age......you start using your body often by subtle fouls to gain advantage over your younger opponents. ‘Gentle nudges’  I made post that age rapidly increased in frequency every season! When I seemed to spend more time in hospital than on the pitch at 33 it was time to hang the boots up. 

You could add Rooney to that list too. 

Of course there will be exceptions to the rule, but a players best playing years are generally accepted to be 27-31. It doesn’t matter when ‘peak physical strength’ happens in most people, because that’s without physical training. If you’re looking at athletes - who’ll get progressively stronger through consistent training - that won’t apply. They may get less explosive but that’s a different metric.

A players ‘peak’ will usually comprise the sum of the parts of experience, physical ability and game awareness. It’s unrealistic to expect a 22-25 year old to *generally* show their best football through that combination. It stands to reason this will come later.

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Have a feeling if we lose our next 2-3 with similar performances vs Cardiff he'll be gone. 

I feel like I am being generous here but ignoring the cup game, win/lose or draw this is how I can see the next games going, 4 points from a possible 12 (will that be enough to keep him in a job).

Watford v BC - Defeat
BC v Reading - Draw
BC v Barnsley - Win
Boro v BC - Defeat

24 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

if ashton had any feelings,he wouldnt want to see the club drifting aimlessly guided by the bloke he put in charge.  he didnt hang about covering up his brunt error with lansbury so why not put right his managerial cock ups too

We don't know what he reports/says to SL or even JL? He could come out with a lot of nonsense to cover his back or be totally honest for all we know!

Does Uncle Steve want promotion enough ?

With the club on the crest of a wave and never looking so good for a tilt at promotion to the Prem he signs Dean , Deano , Deanio, Dee , Dee lovely Dean Holden who today in his press conference said this ;

’ I'm a young coach learning‘ 

Just the appointment needed to get into the richest division in world football.

fall lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

With the club on the crest of a wave and never looking so good for a tilt at promotion to the Prem he signs Dean , Deano , Deanio, Dee , Dee lovely Dean Holden who today in his press conference said this ;

Well learn quicker then... start by not making the same mistakes over and over, like playing Wells left wing!

17 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Oh good, I've been waiting for this topic to come up on here. Been surprised no-one has mentioned it before.

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Appointed by an old bloke, NOT learning.

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

A breath of fresh air..

25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

'I'm a young coach learning‘ 

Like I've said in another thread, are people really shocked or suprised by this? This wasn't a secret when Dean was appointed and did anyone really believe Steve when he set out his ambition for the season? Based on the quality of player performances for so long under Lee and the newly appointed Head Coach with zero experience (as HC)? 

Mid table if we're lucky this season (was my prediction from the start) but Steve's honesty would have been better directed at focussing on staying in the Championship and managing the financial impacts of COVID. That is how he should have set out his expectations for this and next season.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Slow day in France?

Archived