IGNORED

Gambling Sponsorship to Stop Next Season

MelksRed

1 minute ago, MelksRed said:

Just heard on the BBC! 

Potentially a massive impact on us in terms of revenue. 

Not really, we'll probably just get another sponsor... Like what, 70%.. Of the other clubs..? 

I assume the football league will also need new sponsorship. 

I'll miss Mansion Bets advertising campaigns mind..! 

1 minute ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Don’t understand how people hate on gambling sponsors but would be more than happy to have thatchers as a sponsor when alcohol ruins millions more lives than gambling 

Good point, well made. 

1 minute ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I mean if people are against both that’s fine but I’ve seen people say we shouldn’t have gambling sponsors because of addiction then go on to say we should get thatchers to sponsor us 

I totally agree with you. No sarcasm intended. 

The problem is that most wanted LJ gone and are now moaning... 

Irrelevant to your point, but shows that most here won't be happy unless we have mother Theresa as sponsor, with her money made from charitable donation, because none of those sagging off the sponsors drink or gamble, ever. Obviously.... 

Let's face it, the best bet for here is to read the posts, see if there's anything interesting and then ignore the lot of them... 

Would clubs be allowed to see out contracts signed? If not the government really should be waiting until finances return to football, with many clubs struggling how many are going to be even worse off when betting sponsors get so many teams because they pay more so you’re already reducing revenue streams for clubs at desperate times. Then you’ve got to find a non gambling sponsor who (for us or most other championship clubs and worse below us) are hardly going to be wanting to be involved in big sponsorship deals during a pandemic.

if Boris wants to stop gambling sponsors that’s one thing but this could contribute to clubs being brought to their knees in the next year.

39 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Would clubs be allowed to see out contracts signed? If not the government really should be waiting until finances return to football, with many clubs struggling how many are going to be even worse off when betting sponsors get so many teams because they pay more so you’re already reducing revenue streams for clubs at desperate times. Then you’ve got to find a non gambling sponsor who (for us or most other championship clubs and worse below us) are hardly going to be wanting to be involved in big sponsorship deals during a pandemic.

if Boris wants to stop gambling sponsors that’s one thing but this could contribute to clubs being brought to their knees in the next year.

If stopping gambling sponsorship is proven to stop wrecking lives, then it shouldn't matter when it kicks in. 

If it's just a move to pander to those who voice an objection because they've nothing better to moan about that day, then it shouldn't be banned at all. 

And that is coming from someone who's fully aware of the destruction caused by addiction, rather than someone stood on this weeks soap box, wanting to voice an unrelated opinion. 

Having a gambling company in the front of a football shirt has made nobody set up a gambling account and suffer from addiction, ever, I'd wager. 

6 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I think it's a good thing but such a typical half arsed attempt to tackle the problem.  What about all the gambling adverts and advertising holdings around the pitch/on the boards behind the managers/players when interviewed too? Are they going? 

Spot on. They’d need to ban all advertising across all media to have an impact and largely go back to the position before the relaxations made by the Blair Govt imo.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Having a gambling company in the front of a football shirt has made nobody set up a gambling account and suffer from addiction, ever, I'd wager. 

To be fair if it doesn’t work then why do the gambling companies bother with sponsorship?  The drop in cigarette advertising has helped to reduce smoking levels, so I think the same would happen with gambling so this ban is good

18 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

To be fair if it doesn’t work then why do the gambling companies bother with sponsorship?  The drop in cigarette advertising has helped to reduce smoking levels, so I think the same would happen with gambling so this ban is good

Sponsorship is usually brand awareness, rather than responsive advertising. 

Yes, it would be nice not to see gambling companies on shirts, but I don't think it makes anyone gamble, directly. 

If gambling sponsorship does get banned, then absolutely so should alcohol. 

44 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Spot on. They’d need to ban all advertising across all media to have an impact and largely go back to the position before the relaxations made by the Blair Govt imo.

Yeah. For me, the TV adverts are far more damaging, persuasive and constantly ramming it down peoples throats. Far more damaging to those who are vulnerable to gambling addiction than an image on a shirt. 

1 hour ago, WarksRobin said:

The ban on tobacco advertising has coincided with a reduction in sales of cigarettes 

I don’t smoke but my brother does, i think the reduction is in part due to them being nearly a tenner a pack too, that has him thinking of quitting more than anything else 

Where does it all stop though? We are becoming a nation that just panders down a minority and too scared to speak up and actually have a debate without the name calling. Next step will be food sponsors because people are getting fat, energy drinks because they contain sugar, then it will be anything with meat in because Vegans don't like the sponsors. 

When are people going to take any responsibility for their own actions, or when are people going to get told to take some responsibility? Yes addiction to anything is bad, but not everything needs to be banned due to a minority.  

36 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Yeah. For me, the TV adverts are far more damaging, persuasive and constantly ramming it down peoples throats. Far more damaging to those who are vulnerable to gambling addiction than an image on a shirt. 

I absolutely agree. The Bet 365 ad merely grates and I know it'll regularly show up. I barely notice the Stoke City shirt sponsor and refer to the Bet 365 Stadium as "The Stoke Ground".

39 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Absolutely. Seeing Mansion Bet on a shirt is not likely to make too many people suddenly place a bet, it's more brand awareness in field where competition is fierce. However, just before kick off, an advert saying Man City to beat Liverpool 2-1 now 16/1 is likely to inspire some people to quickly chuck a tenner on it. Having said that, I don't particularly like it on shirts either and seeing as most of the industry is funded by betting sponsorship, a ban on it along with the events of the last year may start to reverse the ridiculous costs of transfers if clubs don't have the funds anymore to splash 50 million on a mediocre defender. Probably a utopian dream though! 

9 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Don’t understand how people hate on gambling sponsors but would be more than happy to have thatchers as a sponsor when alcohol ruins millions more lives than gambling 

Being cynical, gambling sites are offshore, so little tax revenue for the Government, whilst UK brewers contribute plenty!

For a start, alcohol shirt (and ground?) advertising in sport is banned in France, so I’m sure at sometime in will be considered in UK.

10 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

It shouldn’t be a comparison, I’d be against both being sponsors but I’d argue this point. Both are as bad as each other and a lot of time interlinked.

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

If stopping gambling sponsorship is proven to stop wrecking lives, then it shouldn't matter when it kicks in. 

If it's just a move to pander to those who voice an objection because they've nothing better to moan about that day, then it shouldn't be banned at all. 

And that is coming from someone who's fully aware of the destruction caused by addiction, rather than someone stood on this weeks soap box, wanting to voice an unrelated opinion. 

One sponsor on one shirt maybe doesn’t make a difference. Seeing hundreds everywhere you look, league sponsorship, team sponsorship, advertising boards round the pitch, adverts in the match day programme, tv adverts.

Its like being on a diet and then your partner filling the house with sweets and chocolate everywhere you look.

Archived