IGNORED

This Forum, Our Fans, Expectations and Reality.

CosmosUK

I don't often post but read the forums several times a day and the amount of sh*te some people spout beggars belief. I was not happy when the club appointed Holden but also gave him my support from the first game, and he still has it now. Currently he's on target to deliver a top half finish and with the amount of injuries we have had I would take that all day long.

Sorry but some  of the topics seen recently have been so litter its cringe worthy to read. Someone talking today now about the amount of coaches we have and what do they do as if this has an effect on the touchline on a match day. I'm not being funny but how many of us actually go to the training ground and watch every training session? These are professional people with coaching licences that a lot of us don't have the first clue about. It is easy to tell that someone has never been around a football club other than watching one.

Yes, we aren't creating chances at the moment, but then we put a creative player in the team (KP) who a lot of you constantly slag off and he then gets sh*t for giving the ball away etc, most flair players do that, because they take more risks. We've now signed Lansbury who if you know anything about technique is a top quality player when at his peak performance and I'm sure hell be the first to take abuse if he doesn't rifle one in from 30 yards or stick a cross onto a sixpence for Fam.

I for one am happy and realistic with Holden this season, given the injuries, and incorporating a lot of inexperienced (for city) players like Bakinson, Semenyo, Moore, Vyner plus the youngsters coming off the bench.

Top 10 in the Championship is arguably overachieving with the Squad we have, and if you don't think that then i'm sorry but you aren't very clued up.

3 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

I don't often post but read the forums several times a day and the amount of sh*te some people spout beggars belief. I was not happy when the club appointed Holden but also gave him my support from the first game, and he still has it now. Currently he's on target to deliver a top half finish and with the amount of injuries we have had I would take that all day long.

Sorry but some  of the topics seen recently have been so litter its cringe worthy to read. Someone talking today now about the amount of coaches we have and what do they do as if this has an effect on the touchline on a match day. I'm not being funny but how many of us actually go to the training ground and watch every training session? These are professional people with coaching licences that a lot of us don't have the first clue about. It is easy to tell that someone has never been around a football club other than watching one.

Yes, we aren't creating chances at the moment, but then we put a creative player in the team (KP) who a lot of you constantly slag off and he then gets sh*t for giving the ball away etc, most flair players do that, because they take more risks. We've now signed Lansbury who if you know anything about technique is a top quality player when at his peak performance and I'm sure hell be the first to take abuse if he doesn't rifle one in from 30 yards or stick a cross onto a sixpence for Fam.

I for one am happy and realistic with Holden this season, given the injuries, and incorporating a lot of inexperienced (for city) players like Bakinson, Semenyo, Moore, Vyner plus the youngsters coming off the bench.

Top 10 in the Championship is arguably overachieving with the Squad we have, and if you don't think that then i'm sorry but you aren't very clued up.

Hello Dean

5 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

What are your qualifications to say that he's doing a good job?

Are we not supposed to be targeting a top 6 finish? make no mistake as well this is Ashtons/Deans squad, where exactly did the real boss say on a target it was a top half finish he was after?

The coaches and manager seem to have forgotten that we are allowed to shoot at goal sometimes, and the old what about the injuries excuse.......we are supposed to have adequete reserves on tap to replace injured players, so again manager/coaches and Ashtons fault if we havent.

So back to the real reality, SL made another bad call when he chose Holden over far better managers available; you are happy ? have you seen any of our games:doh:

14 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

Maybe Holden and the coaches could get the players to pass it to a teammate?

That would be a great start

8 minutes ago, 189thoughts said:

A couple of questions for you, these aren't meant to be patronising either.

Do you watch most City games? If so, do you enjoy it? Are you genuinely happy with how we play?

I'm not talking about results here but how we perform.

Yes, I watch every game. And previous to Covid I watched every home game and as many away games as I could manage.

Do I enjoy the football? My definition of enjoyment is always taking 3 points away, and while we have done that regularly this season, id say I am satsified. Show me a nice, free flowing defeat and ill show you a defeat.

If we finish where we are currently I will be satsified.

8 minutes ago, Prinny said:

What are your qualifications to say that he's doing a good job?

You don't need qualifications to see the obvious. Do I need to write the complete list of injuries or compile stats for total career FLC minutes for a lot of our younger more inexperienced lads?

3 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

I was with you until the last paragraph.

The issue isn't so much the results or the position in the division, its the performances.

In that context, I would agree that we have massively over achieved given the performances haven't really merited a lot of the positive results. 

At times the team looks shambolic with no distinct pattern of play (or identity in LJs words). At other times we look good, but only in short bursts. With the players we have, I think we are entitled to expect better - not necessarily in terms of our position in the division, but in terms of performance levels.

If we lose to a better team, fair enough, but to capitulate is not acceptable. Or to just turn up with minimal effort as some did yesterday imo is beyond unacceptable. Or to be unprepared, disorganised, and can't muster a valid shot on goal or a corner like yesterday, is disgraceful at any level.

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The issue isn't so much the results or the position in the division, its the performances.

In that context, I would agree that we have massively over achieved given the performances haven't really merited a lot of the positive results. 

At times the team looks shambolic with no distinct pattern of play (or identity in LJs words). At other times we look good, but only in short bursts. With the players we have, I think we are entitled to expect better - not necessarily in terms of our position in the division, but in terms of performance levels.

If we lose to a better team, fair enough, but to capitulate is not acceptable. Or to just turn up with minimal effort as some did yesterday imo is beyond unacceptable. Or to be unprepared, disorganised, and can't muster a valid shot on goal or a corner like yesterday, is disgraceful at any level.

This exactly and I'm sure that the majority of fans on here would agree.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I agree that there isn't much of an identity at the moment. Though saying that, with Mawson back fit (He is easily one of our most gifted footballers) I would like to see a return to a five at the back formation with him as the ball player, but then you need fit wing backs to accomplish that, and with JD injured, Jack Hunt a player with limited ability and Tommy Rowe now struggling with knocks. Also doesn't help that we don't know if our most potent goal threat will even be here shortly. This isn't a Holden love in, I think anyone would struggle with the constraints outlined

We aren't the only club in the Championship with a big injury list. Seen Huddersfield, Watford and Coventry's?

I suggest only the loss of Weimann and Dasilva has been a real blow for us.

Other players give us other options, but I ultimately think only those two give us something we are missing.

Ultimately, our negative tactics and poor coaching seem destined to fail whoever pulls on a City shirt.

If you have a gap like the Grand Canyon between your midfield and your forward line you aren't going to get many chances to score.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

We aren't the only club in the Championship with a big injury list. Seen Huddersfield, Watford and Coventry's?

Other players give us other options, but I ultimately think only those two give us something we are missing.

Ultimately, our negative tactics and poor coaching seem destined to fail whoever pulls on a City shirt.

If you have a gap like the Grand Canyon between your midfield and your forward line you aren't going to get many chances to score.

Weimann has been the single biggest loss this season, followed by Mawsons period out which saw us deploy Taylor Moore and look significantly weaker for it. Agree about the no mans land between the midfield and attack, you'd think KP would  have plugged that gap but we seem to be employing 3 deeper lying midfielders which I agree is not a positive. Hopefully Lansbury can be that man.

29 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

Good of you to put the masses right

interested in your comment 

It is easy to tell that someone has never been around a football club other than watching one.’

Which Club were you at ?

18 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

Some do meet your highlighted .. So what? 

You in your posts are highlighting that your expectations are different to others in the first paragraph without thinking about what the expectations of others are and why they watch football. 

Bristol City are boring. And have been for seasons for numbers of fans. A reality reflected by Otib.   

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

I think there is a reasonable arguement for the effect of injuries on the team being down to the quantity of players missing in the same position rather than the individual players being a loss, if you see what I mean. 

Currently we're missing the whole left side of the team. We've gone through the season with spells where our only fit centre backs have been inexperienced or missing most of our 4000 central midfielders. 

I agree with you that much of our problem is tactical but I also think that injuries would have less of an effect on the team if they'd been spread round a bit. 

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Spot on for me bcfc01 our performances have been woeful. 

Most of our performances have been a hard watch

We have won lots of games against the run of play

We fail to do basic things such as pass accurately, keep the ball from our throw ins, etc

We lack any pattern of play (other than keep the ball in our half by passing backwards/sideways)

We create far too few chances - to go two games without even forcing a corner is frightening

Regardless of results I really haven’t seen a game this season in which we’ve dominated / looked in control

I genuinely wonder what the players must think when they watch the games back and see how poor the performance has been

1 minute ago, CosmosUK said:

Weimann has been the single biggest loss this season, followed by Mawsons period out which saw us deploy Taylor Moore and look significantly weaker for it. Agree about the no mans land between the midfield and attack, you'd think KP would  have plugged that gap but we seem to be employing 3 deeper lying midfielders which I agree is not a positive. Hopefully Lansbury can be that man.

Fingers crossed, though I suspect the problems run deeper than those that one key player can fix.

Maybe his will be a Matt Smith-like jolt back to winning ways?

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I agree with all that - especially the bold bit.

That is down to very basic coaching, or lack of it imo.

So simple to fix but goes unchecked with subs chucked on to do the same thing.

4 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

You don't need qualifications to see the obvious. Do I need to write the complete list of injuries or compile stats for total career FLC minutes for a lot of our younger more inexperienced lads?

Ah right, so you don't need qualifications to have an opinion, but if someone disagrees they do. Good logic. This is one of the worst and most consistent "litter" takes on this forum.

Please compile a list of championship appearances and minutes of yesterdays team and try to explain how it's not experienced enough to play better than it did? I'm going to wait a long time I expect.

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

The football is dire though isn’t it.

Exactly,  I'm not disappointed with 9th or 10th,  I didn't expect to win promotion this season , I accept that developing young players and not splashing cash around during the pandemic is a sensible strategy.

But the football IS dire, DH doesn't seem to have a style or plan,  the players we are signing are mostly 30 years old.  I don't see any building or working towards anything. I just don't get the Lansbury signing, when we have Patterson, Palmer, and one day Walsh as No 10's.  And our £5M striker is about to leave for nothing.

My expectations are simply to enjoy watching us play and see that the coaches are improving the team.

I'm seeing neither.

It is because post Wolves in 2017 we are not exactly a good side to watch. Coupled with how many dreadful home performances since then? It has left fans with a negative feel about the side.

Top half is as good as we're going to get, but I watch Reading, I watch Brentford, I watch Swansea and I think, we could be like that, but we have opted to be negative.

My main concern with the club is its recruitment in the past 2 years, has gone down hill and has correlated with a more pragmatic approach to matches. This has never been what Bristol City fans have wanted to see, our fanbase as a whole as far as I have ever known do not like that style of football.

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Good of you to put the masses right

interested in your comment 

It is easy to tell that someone has never been around a football club other than watching one.’

Which Club were you at ?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Probably could have written that better, I've never been in a professional football club I will admit but played to a reasonable level in my youth and have run a good local side for a number of years. The meaning behind my comment was that even if you have played football on the downs you can see the difficulties during a game. Being a "Season tecket older for fefty yeerz like" doesn't qualify some of the drivel posted on here in the past few weeks.

26 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

Yes, I watch every game. And previous to Covid I watched every home game and as many away games as I could manage.

Do I enjoy the football? My definition of enjoyment is always taking 3 points away, and while we have done that regularly this season, id say I am satsified. Show me a nice, free flowing defeat and ill show you a defeat.

If we finish where we are currently I will be satsified.

Lucky you. Personally I took no satisfaction from the 3 points we stole in midweek from a truly dreadful last hour. I would rather enjoy watching a free flowing side that can pass to one another and give it a go for 90 minutes and lose over the total dross served up yesterday. Playing nice free flowing football every week does not mean you will lose every game. Playing like we did against Huddersfield means we will lose more than we win...where is the satisfaction in that ?

Archived