IGNORED

Dickie Rooks

Tonks55

I know we have had plenty of 'Dicks' playing for City over the years (including a manager who was one by name only and not by nature!), but seeing the thread on Dickie Down reminded me of another Dickie - Dickie Rooks. He was signed by Alan Dicks in 1969 for the princely sum of £17000 from Middlesborough. He was a centre half of relatively small stature but, if I remember right, was as solid as a brick outhouse.

He would be 80, if still alive, and I would guess is living in the Sunderland area. Perhaps someone might know? 'You may enjoy the article here about the man.

http://www.shaunkeogh.co.uk/admin_area/videos/pdfs/86ModulePDF24.pdf 

Very interesting arrived a couple of years after I did, remember his short shorts and shorter hair. Cannot remember in truth him doing much unlike others from that around that time, Kellard, Gow, Galley, Gibbo, Garland, Par, Skirton, Fear, Sharpe Tainton, Merrick etc

22 minutes ago, Tonks55 said:

I know we have had plenty of 'Dicks' playing for City over the years (including a manager who was one by name only and not by nature!), but seeing the thread on Dickie Down reminded me of another Dickie - Dickie Rooks. He was signed by Alan Dicks in 1969 for the princely sum of £17000 from Middlesborough. He was a centre half of relatively small stature but, if I remember right, was as solid as a brick outhouse.

He would be 80, if still alive, and I would guess is living in the Sunderland area. Perhaps someone might know? 'You may enjoy the article here about the man.

He is a bit confused about a "replay"....it was the second leg, so no money was due. Funny how we fans sometimes remember more than the players !

But a great center half, remember his epic battles with John Hickton, legendary stuff.

41 minutes ago, Tonks55 said:

That thread reminded me of Dickie Rooks too!!  He was a heroic figure to little old me back then when he became captain - blonde hair with a bit of a Bobby Charlton combover going on!    Great days.     

50 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I think, if I remember rightly, Dickie Rooks was bought to replace Jack Connor when he retired.  Both were excellent centre halfs back in the day when a team only had one, rather than the two or three centre-backs that we have today.

Am I right in thinking Jack was never booked while playing for us?
Unlike Rooks who I think was booked every couple of games?
Or am I completely wrong? (Again)

1 hour ago, Daniro said:

That thread reminded me of Dickie Rooks too!!  He was a heroic figure to little old me back then when he became captain - blonde hair with a bit of a Bobby Charlton combover going on!    Great days.     

I thought just the same Daniro. 

Im sure I saw DR playing at AG for Boro before he moved here.

Very blond, very short shorts and, as others have mentioned, not very tall but built like the proverbial brick outhouse and hard as nails - as were many in the City team of that era.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I think, if I remember rightly, Dickie Rooks was bought to replace Jack Connor when he retired.  Both were excellent centre halfs back in the day when a team only had one, rather than the two or three centre-backs that we have today.

I feel pretty sure that a back four was the norm by then.

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

Am I right in thinking Jack was never booked while playing for us?
Unlike Rooks who I think was booked every couple of games?
Or am I completely wrong? (Again)

I’m not sure about Jack Connor never being booked, but he did play as centre forward for one match because the manager, Fred Ford, said he was the best centre forward at the club. This must have been after  Atyeo retired. It wasn’t a success as he was never picked as a forward again. It was a bit like playing Flint as a centre forward. He looks good when he joins the attack for a few minutes, but it’s totally different playing there for 90 minutes 

I remember over Easter 1970(?) we were away at QPR, we drew 2-2 thanks to a last minute pen save from Jock Mahoney (making a rare appearance). We hung around after the game and the players came out and DR was still berating "Speedy" who gave it away.

He came over to me (randomly) and said "Look, you don't tackle in the box like this" he proceeded to demonstrate on me, he sent me flying across the car park ! He had hands like hams, knees like trees .

25 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’m not sure about Jack Connor never being booked, but he did play as centre forward for one match because the manager, Fred Ford, said he was the best centre forward at the club. This must have been after  Atyeo retired. It wasn’t a success as he was never picked as a forward again. It was a bit like playing Flint as a centre forward. He looks good when he joins the attack for a few minutes, but it’s totally different playing there for 90 minutes 

If my memory serves me well (and often it doesn't!), it was at a time when we were having trouble scoring goals (things never change!) and a series of players were tried at centre forward, most unsuccessfully. Terry Bush was another who was tried at centre forward with a little more success, but hardly a galloping success. My memory is less sure on this but didn't we 'give up on trying to find a centre forward internally but bought John Galley instead?

Now Terry Bush had a terrific shot on him and was more successful as a wing half. For some reason he reminded me of Rob Newman, probably because both were 'utility' players that could play in most positions. There was a thread on Terry Bush some two years ago when he passed away.

He scored in one of the great games of that era - we were 2-0 down at half time - I think it may have been Notts County - both of their goals scored at the old open end.

We scored 3 in the second half and I know Dickie Rooks scored either the first or second - Chris Garland may have got the other two!

My memory can remember the game but not sure on all the scorers - we were stood the Dolman side of the goal at the front!

A great memory ... and game!

4 minutes ago, Tonks55 said:

If my memory serves me well (and often it doesn't!), it was at a time when we were having trouble scoring goals (things never change!) and a series of players were tried at centre forward, most unsuccessfully. Terry Bush was another who was tried at centre forward with a little more success, but hardly a galloping success. My memory is less sure on this but didn't we 'give up on trying to find a centre forward internally but bought John Galley instead?

Now Terry Bush had a terrific shot on him and was more successful as a wing half. For some reason he reminded me of Rob Newman, probably because both were 'utility' players that could play in most positions. There was a thread on Terry Bush some two years ago when he passed away.

...or perhaps it was Hugh McIlmoyle?!! Perhaps someone with a better memory than me can clarify?

21 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

He scored in one of the great games of that era - we were 2-0 down at half time - I think it may have been Notts County - both of their goals scored at the old open end.

We scored 3 in the second half and I know Dickie Rooks scored either the first or second - Chris Garland may have got the other two!

My memory can remember the game but not sure on all the scorers - we were stood the Dolman side of the goal at the front!

A great memory ... and game!

No, it was high flying Luton  Malcom Macdonald and all, I remember the pitch was a mud bath, the only one who mastered the conditions was debutant Les Wilson !

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Must have been 66-67, I was still at school and my mate who had a season ticket (almost unheard of in those days ) refused to go.............he went on strike through lack of a center forward ! I believe the game finished 0-0 .

4 hours ago, Tonks55 said:

Dickie Dido must be getting on a bit now as well.

I'll never forget that beard.   

6 hours ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

Rooks was good. Very good !

As posted earlier, Dickie was short in stature, but I remember him outjumping Big John Toshack when Cardiff visited and kept him under control for the entire match.

I passed him in Broadmead one day. Although just shopping, he was wearing a club blazer and looked very smart.

7 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

My first superhero in a red shirt.

Absolutely loved the bloke, hence the avatar.

Same here. My second game at the Gate was v Carlisle in 1970 on my 8th birthday. I had an all red City kit for my birthday with a number 5 on the back for Dickie Rooks. Wore it to the game. City won 2-1 and Rooks was pictured in an action shot on the front cover of the programme.

Archived