IGNORED

Dickie Rooks

Tonks55

20 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

No, it was high flying Luton  Malcom Macdonald and all, I remember the pitch was a mud bath, the only one who mastered the conditions was debutant Les Wilson !

I’ve got vague recollections of the match, being we came back from 2-0 down! Just looked the result up and attendance was 18k, can’t remember the pitch, but we also beat Portsmouth at home the following day, so guessing it was the Easter weekend?

Looking the game up it wasn’t Wilson’s debut, as he’d played the previous two home games against Swindon and Sheffield United, also Cardiff away!

One name who played was Hill and I can’t place him at all. He was replaced by Merrick during the game.

20 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

No, it was high flying Luton  Malcom Macdonald and all, I remember the pitch was a mud bath, the only one who mastered the conditions was debutant Les Wilson !

Not that game, but a picture of them both!

Dickie Rooks & Malcolm MacDonald.jpg

39 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

I’ve got vague recollections of the match, being we came back from 2-0 down! Just looked the result up and attendance was 18k, can’t remember the pitch, but we also beat Portsmouth at home the following day, so guessing it was the Easter weekend?

Looking the game up it wasn’t Wilson’s debut, as he’d played the previous two home games against Swindon and Sheffield United, also Cardiff away!

One name who played was Hill and I can’t place him at all. He was replaced by Merrick during the game.

Brian Hill, signed on the same day as Wilson iirc, very exciting at the time!

10 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Well remembered, Christmas 1969, although one goal was credited to Worthington. City lost 1-2!

Blimey, I was 11

It's the first game I can remember watching from the open end,  it was always the enclosure before that. Dad must have been skint that day!

7 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

With Parr looking over his shoulder . Reckon we lost 3-0,  Steve Stacey making his (return) debut, I was there .

Luton away, we lost 3-0. Macdonald scored 2, and Slough was the other scorer.

Steve Stacey had already played in the previous five games having been re-signed from Wrexham for £5,000. (Return) debut at Sheffield Utd. a month earlier.

(From my "bible" - Bristol City, The Modern Era, A Complete Record, by David Woods.)

11 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Les Wilson and Brian Hill both made their debuts away to Watford before the Swindon, Sheffield United and Cardiff games.

Les Wilson was on loan from Wolves, Brian Hill on loan from Coventry.

28 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Steve Stacey had already played in the previous five games having been re-signed from Wrexham for £5,000. (Return) debut at Sheffield Utd. a month earlier.

(From my "bible" - Bristol City, The Modern Era, A Complete Record, by David Woods.)

19 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Les Wilson and Brian Hill both made their debuts away to Watford before the Swindon, Sheffield United and Cardiff games.

Les Wilson was on loan from Wolves, Brian Hill on loan from Coventry.

I used the same book, saw the Watford result and salivated that Gow, Garland and Galley had scored and didn’t bother to look at the team!

50 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I would have put good money on it being his debut, like I would with Wilson. Anyhow, he didn't make many more after that (SS, how shall I put this......wasn't very good )

Rooks was a solid defender if a bit slow. I remember AD playing him up front in one game when we were short of forwards but it didn't really work out so I think it was a one-off. Also remember him scoring an OG at The Den when we were on MOTD (we scored two OG's in that game and lost 1-3).

Archived