IGNORED

Why does the club ignore OTIB?

Robin101

OTIB is a form of social media like any other, so why does the club make such an effort on Facebook/Instagram, but has decided that this busy forum of thousands of Bristol City fans - likely representing a far greater cross-section of fans - is not worth bothering with?

If my business had a forum full of our ‘customers’ talking about our product everyday then I’d sure as hell be trying to engage. 

Raises the question, what is the point of the club being on Facebook/Insta etc at all? They don’t really seem to try and ‘sell’ anything directly like most businesses.

So I assume it’s about ‘building the brand’, ‘building the community’ and that. Which begs the question, given we are the community, why aren’t they here?

Genuine question, why does the club not even try with OTIB? 

Just now, BoneyardTIM said:

This forum is certainly not a cross section of our fan base. This is where the looney’s hang out.

I genuinely disagree. Facebook and Instagram likely skews much younger. 

Seems to me we have all sorts on here. Including, yes, the neighbourhood loons.

2 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

It did. 

There was an ask SL subforum where Steve or Colin S would reply.

Mark used to reply to various questions during the stadium redevelopment, and both Dave L and Matt would post on here when they were SLOs.

Collectively, we abused the privilege. That said, not having any club presence or influence means we are no longer under the same level of scrutiny as we once were, so we can largely be critical of decision makers and other club figures without too much interference.

SCRUMPY ONCE APPLIED FOR A BLUE BADGE EVEN THOUGH HE DOESN'T QUALIFY AND DOESN'T WASH HIS WING WHEN HE HAS BEEN FOR A PISS.

Couldn't say that under a club influenced forum.

12 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

OTIB is a form of social media like any other, so why does the club make such an effort on Facebook/Instagram, but has decided that this busy forum of thousands of Bristol City fans - likely representing a far greater cross-section of fans - is not worth bothering with?

If my business had a forum full of our ‘customers’ talking about our product everyday then I’d sure as hell be trying to engage. 

Raises the question, what is the point of the club being on Facebook/Insta etc at all? They don’t really seem to try and ‘sell’ anything directly like most businesses.

So I assume it’s about ‘building the brand’, ‘building the community’ and that. Which begs the question, given we are the community, why aren’t they here?

You are having a laugh, right ?

15 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

The officials at AG certainly used to read otib but whether MA does or not I don’t know.

However every time I’ve heard MA speak he gives off an “ I know more than you do’ and some what arrogant aura which gives me the impression that he doesn’t give two shits about what we fans think. A perfect example of that was a couple of seasons ago when the SC prices went up significantly without any consultation with the Supporters Trust - only when they kicked up a fuss did Ashton change his tune.

Bottom line is that in the eyes of club we’re simply cash cows and your views are insignificant.

Just now, Robbored said:

Bottom line is that in the eyes of club we’re simply cash cows.

And it remains to be seen just how much MA has missed us during the pandemic.

It could be a good opportunity to build bridges on both sides, but I just don't see it happening.

I think a lot of people have got use to not going to football anymore.

4 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Ha, I’m serious! What is it about the audience/content whatever of Facebook and Twitter that means it’s a vital channel of comms for the club, but OTIB isn’t?

As another poster pointed out it is probably a good idea to read some of the posts put on here many of which are sponsored by Natch or AN Other brewery / winery.

5 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

A few years back SL was gracious enough to do one of his away-day, fan engagements. After an informative update he invited questions from the floor. The first:

" 'Ere Steve, can you lend I a tenner?" seemed to please the majority of those in attendance.

The second comprised a thinly veiled, wholly unsubstantiated critique from an individual previously involved with the board , an individual who desired to hold a place at the top table without having the wherewithal to support or promote the club. Someone who struggled to understand a balance sheet or the benefits of corporate reorganisation.

At that point I and my mates walked out questioning why the hell SL would bother?

OTIB, despite having a fair few sensible members, isn't that different and the first rule of communication with the 'great unwashed' is only do so when obliged.

If the club took advice from otib, we'd change our manager 12 times a season, let people into matches for free and give them an 80% discount on the club shirt, once the design was eventually agreed upon being acceptable. 

We'd have a wage bill the size of Real Madrid's and the stadium would be a mix of 1970's terracing, terracing but with some executive boxes because it would be crazy of us not to keep with the times. 

We'd give everyone free travel to away games (covid permitting) and demand unlimited ticket allocations, whilst severely limiting away fans at AG for fear that they'd out sing us. 

We'd allow standing at matches, but nobody would be allowed to obstruct anyone's view. 

Pryos would be allowed, providing they are smoke free and harmless. 

All games would kick off at 3pm on a Saturday, so that people could then moan about not having any midweek games. 

They'd want people's opinions of all new transfers, so we never sign the likes of Matt Smith, Aaron Wilbraham etc again, because their stats weren't up to scratch on championship manager. 

The list goes on and on... 

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The officials at AG certainly used to read otib but whether MA does or not I don’t know.

However every time I’ve heard MA speak he gives off an “ I know more than you do’ and some what arrogant aura which gives me the impression that he doesn’t give two shits about what we fans think. A perfect example of that was a couple of seasons ago when the SC prices went up significantly without any consultation with the Supporters Trust - only when they kicked up a fuss did Ashton change his tune.

Bottom line is that in the eyes of club we’re simply cash cows and your views are insignificant.

I hate to break it to you, but I thinkark Ashton might know a little bit more than most of the fans on this forum..! 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Of the club took advice from otib, we'd change our manager 12 times a season, let people into matches for free and give them an 80% discount on the club shirt, once the design was eventually agreed upon being acceptable. 

We'd have a wage bill the size of Real Madrid's and the stadium would be a mix of 1970's terracing, terracing but with some executive boxes because it would be crazy of us not to keep with the times. 

We'd give everyone free travel to away games (covid permitting) and demand unlimited ticket allocations, whilst severely limiting away fans at AG for fear that they'd out sing us. 

We'd allow standing at matches, but nobody would be allowed to obstruct anyone's view. 

All games would kick off at 3pm on a Saturday, so that people could then moan about not having any midweek games. 

They'd want people's opinions of all new transfers, so we never sign the likes of Matt Smith, Aaron Wilbraham etc again, because their stats weren't up to scratch on championship manager. 

the best post on OTIB for a very long time, well done sir!

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

I hate to break it to you, but I thinkark Ashton might know a little bit more than most of the fans on this forum..! 

It’s his job to know more than we fans do. I don’t have the slightest problem with that but more consultation with the Supporters Trust and fans in general would be a positive step.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You do realise that the club’s presence on social media has nothing to do with a wish to ‘engage’ with supporters on footballing matters. 

What are they trying to achieve then? I’m not suggesting they want fans to pick the formation, if that’s what you mean. 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Of the club took advice from otib, we'd change our manager 12 times a season, let people into matches for free and give them an 80% discount on the club shirt, once the design was eventually agreed upon being acceptable. 

What’s your point? COYR 

Because we are a minority, the vast majority of middle of the road supporters don't bother to come on here and spout off, plenty read it,BUT  SL / JL / MA have to consider everyone (not just the very vocal minority on here (of which I include myself).

We are all nutters in a way, we follow an average championship team with the last real silverware being something like the anglo-welsh cup back in the days and the lower league micky mouse cup a few times.

We (me in particular), tick all the boxes of those you should probably ignore: Old, bitter, over the top wild optimism at the start of the season, followed by pessimism and endless moaning from Xmas onwards... Someone who had spent way too much time going back 25 years from the early days of BCFC fans forums, reading all the posts and getting worked up/laughing/agreeing etc.... and losing my hair and decent eye sight in the process...

I also have a habit of screaming "get so-and-so off, he is f'ing useless /Matt Smith" normally just before he scores for us....

Having said all that, I bet they do read it, but would be daft to ever admit it...

Archived