IGNORED

Why does the club ignore OTIB?

Robin101

6 minutes ago, TomF said:

aaaand for the second post this week again OTIB is singled out as the one place that anyone has an opinion.  Have you ever seen some of the replies on the official twitter account?   But nah once again its ALL OTIBS FAULT.

Twitter is far more abusive and near to the knuckle too. No contest at all.

• SC&T Board Members
6 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Thanks Blagdon red. 

Do Union Berlin engage with their alcoholic fans forum do you know? ?

By comparison with OTIB, their forum is quite small.

The whole concept of 'engaging with fans' is, however, not really pertinent there, as there is no 'them and us'.

Being a member-owned club, the members (all 37,400 of us) ARE the club (and last week over 3,800 of us attended the AGM [online this year], via which the supervisory board is appointed, which in turn appoints the executive chairman on a fixed-term contract. So, the management exist to run the club in the interests of the members. It is a totally different model.

But getting back to OTIB, I do think that City would benefit from having a more active presence on here. Not reacting to every post, of course. But by providing relevant information when fans are clearly in the dark about something that they can easily help with and by correcting any obviously wrong information that may be doing the rounds.

1 hour ago, bcfcfinker said:

There are some good posters and commenters on this forum but just how much are they outnumbered by, I'll be polite, people looking to pick a bun fight?

Sorry I just got a mental image of someone drawing a baguette like a fencing sword :laugh:

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Most, if not all clubs do the same. They appreciate that social platforms are today’s normal and use them to reveal various going’s on at the club.

Even clubs with relatively low numbers of supporters will still have many thousands of fans with a wide range of opinions and cognitive abilities. It’s impractical to engage with fans on social media. 

?

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Sorry I just got a mental image of someone drawing a baguette like a fencing sword :laugh:

I was thinking 'Ernie, the fastest milkman in the west' and the 'concrete hardened crust of a stale pork pie' from Two Ton Ted for Brislington

The club do read it in a round about way.

If not directly...they certainly get the feeling of what the moods like from boaty McGregor face with his weekly sessions.

Pretty much everything spoken about comes from here.

Even more so now with no crowds in attendance. 

And I'm sure Mrs Lansdown reports back to Mr L what's being said.

Pretty much all will be ignored though. 

Finding the average from the extremes.

4 hours ago, Robin101 said:

OTIB is a form of social media like any other, so why does the club make such an effort on Facebook/Instagram, but has decided that this busy forum of thousands of Bristol City fans - likely representing a far greater cross-section of fans - is not worth bothering with?

If my business had a forum full of our ‘customers’ talking about our product everyday then I’d sure as hell be trying to engage. 

Raises the question, what is the point of the club being on Facebook/Insta etc at all? They don’t really seem to try and ‘sell’ anything directly like most businesses.

So I assume it’s about ‘building the brand’, ‘building the community’ and that. Which begs the question, given we are the community, why aren’t they here?

Genuine question, why does the club not even try with OTIB? 

Isn’t it ironic, don’t ya think?

OTIB is a form of social media like any other, so why does the club make such an effort on Facebook/Instagram, but has decided that this busy forum of thousands of Bristol City fans - likely representing a far greater cross-section of fans - is not worth bothering with?

If my business had a forum full of our ‘customers’ talking about our product everyday then I’d sure as hell be trying to engage. 

Raises the question, what is the point of the club being on Facebook/Insta etc at all? They don’t really seem to try and ‘sell’ anything directly like most businesses.

So I assume it’s about ‘building the brand’, ‘building the community’ and that. Which begs the question, given we are the community, why aren’t they here?

Seriously, I mean SERIOUSLY ? 

OTIB does not have to adhere to the utter b.s that is Ashton, so of course it's going to be ignored. Control the media and you control the people, its a fundamental requirement  of any dictatorship. I don't log on to the OS to find out what is news with my club, I look here first. As should anyone who actually cares about football matters. 

44 minutes ago, downendcity said:

...and Davefevs will have a graph/chart showing the OTIB posters demographic .

Here's one from about 6 years ago dc, those of us that were grey have probably gone full white or joined the baldies now!

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I hate to break it to you, but I thinkark Ashton might know a little bit more than most of the fans on this forum..! 

Talk about stating the bleedin obvious..........it might just have something to do with   him being paid a vast salary for that privilege ?

3 hours ago, TomF said:

aaaand for the second post this week again OTIB is singled out as the one place that anyone has an opinion.  Have you ever seen some of the replies on the official twitter account?   But nah once again its ALL OTIBS FAULT.

Indeed. If you read the replies to anything that the club tweets out you'd come to the conclusion that a good 80-90% of those responding shouldn't be allowed access to the internet without the supervision of a responsible adult. And that isn't unique to City's account, it's the same with just about every other professional club.

For all the moans about this place, and God knows I do enough of it myself, it's a bastion of sanity compared to Facebook and especially Twitter.

6 hours ago, Robin101 said:

It probably hosts 1% of our fan base

You make some fair points but I suspect that there are at least 1,000 posters on OTIB!

4 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

For information, the last time I got an update on the figures (last summer), this forum had 17,000+ registered users, 5,500 of whom had posted 10 times or more.

'Users' excludes those fans who are not registered and merely read the forum.

I'm not going to argue about the figures given by BR.
They tell us also that 11.5k+ users posted less than 10 posts.

Looking at the number of users online now is about 460. It's the evening, people are probably delving in to see what is going on.
However, what is not clear is this:

• How many active users (someone who actually engages) are there?
  • What is the number during the busy times (probably match days)?
  • How many dormant accounts are there?
  • Stats are as fickle as the people producing them and reading them - see something you agree with and they are bang on, see something you don't and they are bollox

At the moment, I just don't have the time to go through posts but I'll stick my neck out and say the activity might not be as high as some would like to believe. That would be for an admin to tell us.

A 1000, maybe, plural might be stretching it a bit. But that says a lot in itself, 17k+ registered users.
Would 1 in 17 active users be a poor stat.
Have some thought WTF, and never been seen again?
TBH, I delve in, comment occasionally, create posts very infrequently and generally laugh my arse off with some peoples thoughts about what is taking place in BCFC. I also expect to take some flak but that comes with the territory. I am definitely no click collector, although it does give some indications if anyones actual read my shit, which gives a warm glow that someone cares :D

4 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

I'm not going to argue about the figures given by BR.
They tell us also that 11.5k+ users posted less than 10 posts.
Says nothing about 

Looking at the number of users online now is about 460. It's the evening, people are probably delving in to see what is going on.
However, what is not clear is this:

• How many active users (someone who actually engages) are there?
  • What is the number during the busy times (probably match days)?
  • How many dormant accounts are there?
  • Stats are as fickle as the people producing them and reading them - see something you agree with and they are bang on, see something you don't and they are bollox

At the moment, I just don't have the time to go through posts but I'll stick my neck out and say the activity might not be as high as some would like to believe. That would be for an admin to tell us.

A 1000, maybe, plural might be stretching it a bit. But that says a lot in itself, 17k+ registered users.
Would 1 in 17 active users be a poor stat.
Have some thought WTF, and never been seen again?
TBH, I delve in, comment occasionally, create posts very infrequently and generally laugh my arse off with some peoples thoughts about what is taking place in BCFC. I also expect to take some flak but that comes with the territory. I am definitely no click collector, although it does give some indications if anyones actual read my shit, which gives a warm glow that someone cares :D

I care xxx

Archived