IGNORED

Training Facility

vicky10

51 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep. And in anticipation of your next question, I don't know why that is...but disappointing it hasn't been delivered for the football club. 

I thought the two training facilities were on the same site? If so I assume the football club will have access? 

Just now, bcfc01 said:

Man. City 200m.

Leicester;

I have the pleasure of watching a young family member play at numerous training grounds in the Premiership. Its another level and standard. Man City is another world - non GM food from chefs (£2 a meal), access to their health professionals for parents of visiting players and accommodation!! 

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

No.

Bears in Abbots Leigh (Beggarbush Lane)

Just round the corner. 
I remember reading the planning docs for the new facility, basically we are going for cat 1 academy. To achieve this we need changing facilities for first team, lower ages and away teams. Also need an indoor area ( off site at the bears ground in our case) educational facilities and office space for club staff. 

When I have a little time I will post the planning docs that outline the clubs vision/plan for  this.

9 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Well if you’ve seen Leicester’s new training complex, it makes ours look like redcatch park!

Still impressive mind.

That was whose I was thinking of to be honest. Ours seems nice but as you say nothing in comparison to Leicester's and I'm not quite sure why that is? 

26 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

That was whose I was thinking of to be honest. Ours seems nice but as you say nothing in comparison to Leicester's and I'm not quite sure why that is? 

SL - “I’ve spent loads of my own cash building a new training ground what do you think?”

OTIB - “Well it’s alright Steve but why’s it not as good as Premier League winners Leicester?”

SL - “Why do I bother?”

10 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

£11m Rugby facility

The training ground for the Bears was paid for from an investment by Private Equity firm CVC who invested in the Premiership last year.  If I recall all top flights sides received a substantial amount to be invested in non playing budget.  Bears decided to spend it on infrastructure and what a facility it is.

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep. And in anticipation of your next question, I don't know why that is...but disappointing it hasn't been delivered for the football club. 

Lack of space is probably the answer. An indoor facility and a 3G type pitch may need to go on a different site. The original training pitches are leased from QEH, only the new facilities are on land owned by City.

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Money and intent. 

Its pretty logical that at each level the facilities improve as income increases. 

Southampton did differently they invested heavily in their training facility while outside of the Premiership after Marcus Liberher (spelling?) took the club over. The club already had a brilliant record of producing star players and that was twinned with a European development model. Southampton make tens of millions from the players they produce and they continue to improve the structure that develops this by financing it. Its a righteous circle of capitalism.

The sales of Bryan, Kelly and Reid have raised large sums and the money put into the structure that produced them? The intent is different. 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Looks brilliant, well done to all involved. In a year our two SL will have to sit down and work out this sum.         New stadium + Bristol Sport+ New training ground. Over league position  = Success or failure.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, and it's something I've been thinking about posting for a few days now, but never really got around to finding a suitable thread to mention it on.

Over the last few years, the investment has been made in the stadium to ensure that it's fit for purpose, and I'm pretty sure that the stadium will not have any further developments until the club reaches the Premier League.

Likewise, the academy has been having money ploughed into it for a number of years, and aside from this season, we've either been cashing in on the players that we've brought through or playing them - so that seems to be functioning (although there is an argument to be had about the level those players can play at)

The training ground was something that has been mentioned since the days of Danny Wilson, so it's been a long time in the making, and it's about to come to fruition, and the same can be said with the Rugby training facilities. The Rugby playing side seems to ticking along quite nicely now, and I don't know about the youth side of rugby, but the 1st team are certainly doing amazingly, so I cant comment whether the youth side needs further investment.

With regards to the rest of the Ashton Gate area, specifically around the arena\conference\hotel facilities, I would hazard a guess that this would be the last big outlay of construction\milestone to overcome, so once that's in place there isn't anything else left for the club to say it's holding them back.

To conclude, in a few years time, all the major building works would have been paid for, and hopefully they'll be starting to self finance, therefore there won't be the requirement for massive outlays of money to build things, which then begs the question, where does the club go next? Do they see themselves as constantly evolving i.e. Upgrading the Academy to Cat 1, or does there come a point where they say, they have everything in place to push for the next level? If we take a Leicester example, they've always been a club that I thought was roughly the same size as us, but as Premier League participants, and winners, that's now taken them to the next level and way beyond us.

Time waits for no man, and if Steve L is to see Premier League football, I would think that once the Basketball arena is complete, that's a good a time as any to mull over a sustained push for promotion.

*As a side note, I think all the infrastructure that they're building is amazing and we should all be so grateful for the facilities that's being provided(nobody else has done this in Bristol during my lifetime - and I don't expect anyone else will), but I would hazard a guess that a lot of the costs will also be recuperated by the building of all the houses on the land that Steve L owes behind the Ford garage, so although it's large monetary figures involved, I'm sure there's a few £'s to be made back here and there to soften the blow, and I guess the hotel and conference suites will bring some decent money in also. Also, it's not like Steve L will build the facilities and then hand them over as a gift, all these buildings belong to his portfolio, so the building enhances the lands worth to a certain degree also.

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

SL - “I’ve spent loads of my own cash building a new training ground what do you think?”

OTIB - “Well it’s alright Steve but why’s it not as good as Premier League winners Leicester?”

SL - “Why do I bother?”

True enough, some people will criticise anything.

My personal view is, it's good to see it happening. It looks even better when the city of Bristol has had so little to shout about on the sporting front. However, this is the sort of thing I would expect to see from a responsible owner, for me it goes with the job. Other comparable clubs have this already, or have plans to do something similar. It's good, but it's not extraordinary or unique, we need to do this just to keep up. Good to see it happening though.

34 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head, and it's something I've been thinking about posting for a few days now, but never really got around to finding a suitable thread to mention it on.

Over the last few years, the investment has been made in the stadium to ensure that it's fit for purpose, and I'm pretty sure that the stadium will not have any further developments until the club reaches the Premier League.

Likewise, the academy has been having money ploughed into it for a number of years, and aside from this season, we've either been cashing in on the players that we've brought through or playing them - so that seems to be functioning (although there is an argument to be had about the level those players can play at)

The training ground was something that has been mentioned since the days of Danny Wilson, so it's been a long time in the making, and it's about to come to fruition, and the same can be said with the Rugby training facilities. The Rugby playing side seems to ticking along quite nicely now, and I don't know about the youth side of rugby, but the 1st team are certainly doing amazingly, so I cant comment whether the youth side needs further investment.

With regards to the rest of the Ashton Gate area, specifically around the arena\conference\hotel facilities, I would hazard a guess that this would be the last big outlay of construction\milestone to overcome, so once that's in place there isn't anything else left for the club to say it's holding them back.

To conclude, in a few years time, all the major building works would have been paid for, and hopefully they'll be starting to self finance, therefore there won't be the requirement for massive outlays of money to build things, which then begs the question, where does the club go next? Do they see themselves as constantly evolving i.e. Upgrading the Academy to Cat 1, or does there come a point where they say, they have everything in place to push for the next level? If we take a Leicester example, they've always been a club that I thought was roughly the same size as us, but as Premier League participants, and winners, that's now taken them to the next level and way beyond us.

Time waits for no man, and if Steve L is to see Premier League football, I would think that once the Basketball arena is complete, that's a good a time as any to mull over a sustained push for promotion.

*As a side note, I think all the infrastructure that they're building is amazing and we should all be so grateful for the facilities that's being provided(nobody else has done this in Bristol during my lifetime - and I don't expect anyone else will), but I would hazard a guess that a lot of the costs will also be recuperated by the building of all the houses on the land that Steve L owes behind the Ford garage, so although it's large monetary figures involved, I'm sure there's a few £'s to be made back here and there to soften the blow, and I guess the hotel and conference suites will bring some decent money in also. Also, it's not like Steve L will build the facilities and then hand them over as a gift, all these buildings belong to his portfolio, so the building enhances the lands worth to a certain degree also.

Appoint somebody with the drive and vision to combat the dominance of Southampton as the regional force in youth development. Not enough money has been invested in the academy and BCFC are playing catch up. Bristol City's academy efficiency was ranked 35th at producing players by the FA in 2019, it has had obvious success, the value of Bryan, Kelly and Reid easily cover is costs but the coaching and scouting network BCFC has in what should be its catchment region is dwarfed by Exeter City and Southampton. 

The academy without becoming Cat 1 in a new improved facility can become more regionally centred v retreating inwards. 

7 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Quick question , for anyone who might have knowledge

( @Lrrryou may be able to answer it)

With the postponents today , and the Sags unable to use their training pitches last few days , got me thinking 

Does the new training complex have any under soil heating for the pitches , or at least one pitch ?

From videos and previous occurrences it seems the very least we have is an agreement for being able to use QEH's 4G pitch at the site

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

From videos and previous occurrences it seems the very least we have is an agreement for being able to use QEH's 4G pitch at the site

Thanks Lrrr

Just slightly surprised with the cost of these facilities Clubs are building , that we wouldn’t 

I accept we have’nt had harsh winters for a few years but in the overall cost , being able to use the facilities in all weathers would seem logical ?

But acknowledge your info about the 4g pitch - thanks

Excuse my ignorance but are 4g pitches pretty safe from cold / ice ?

Incredible facilities but what difference will it make when the medical room can't fit half our squad... 

On a more serious note, the facilities can be premier league quality but it means nothing when you're head coach is lacking the expertise to make the most of it. 

I'd love to have seen what a top manager could do with this squad and these facilities, instead we've got the less experienced bloke who sat next to the previous unexperienced bloke we had. 

I appreciate all SL has done with the club financially, but when it comes to managers he and MA have dropped the ball massively and that's one of the main cogs you need in a successful machine. 

Archived