IGNORED

My Team For Brentford

Davefevs

Bentley

⬇️ Vyner | Kalas | Moore | Mawson | Hunt ⬇️

Massengo | Nagy

Palmer

Semenyo | Wells

It won’t be what Holden picks but I’ve gone for my most energetic eleven.  Hunt, even though he’s not used to playing left side, against Mbuemo can cover him coming inside onto his left foot.  Vyner for legs down the right.

Wells and Semenyo will split the full backs and Palmer will need to cut the passing lane central.  When we get the ball, they need to exploit spaces behind the advanced Dalsgaard and Henry.  It should be our out-ball when we can’t play....and we need to squeeze up behind it.

Also when we have better control of the ball, Mawson and Kalas need to be responsible for moving forward with it.  If Canos and Mbuemo come narrow, then we use the WBs.

Nagy and Massengo just need to run and run, especially closing the gap between our forwards and midfield.  Moore needs to get Kalas and Mawson high, if we let Brentford casually progress up the pitch, we will end up like against Huddersfield.  

Its not ideal, but it’s the best game plan I could come up with

6 minutes ago, tin said:

5-4-1: Bentley; Vyner, Mariappa, Kalas, Mawson, Hunt; Semenyo, Nagy, Bakinson, Palmer; Diedhiou. 

Has to be 5-4-1 for me as well (or 4-5-1) - but a bit pointless (as we will be) to have Diedhiou up front as the ball doesn't stick to him. Much better with Martin imo and maybe get a few free kicks as well as he's good at drawing them.

Doesn’t really matter which 11 is chosen, for, with exception of Bentley, they are too much of a muchness.  Plus given our coaching and tactics as well then we shall continue to struggle.

Ever hopeful thar something miraculous will happen, such as the coaches making the right tactical calls, Semenyo remembering he’s a striker, the full backs playing the game of their lives, and Wells deciding he does want to play for us.  

So more in hope than anticipation: COYR

He will likely go 4-4-2 and leave Palmer out and add someone a bit more defensive in to bulk up the midfield.

So hard to pick a team the midfield 4 goal potential looks dreadful.

They will surely get at least 1 if not 2

Unless Fammy and/or Wells score just can’t see a goal coming from the midfield.

We will have to sit a bit deeper or they will just pass through us.

We will have to hit them on the break but not commit players forward - not sure how you do that.

could swop Martin for Wells and just play long at every opportunity. That would mean the ball would have to stick and would then need to someone to support from midfield - has to be Seymenyo. 

Is does like difficult to pick a decent team to play them with the players we have fit. Good luck Deano...

Bentley

Hunt Mawson Kalas Mariappa      Vyner Naggy Bakinson Seymenyo

Wells Fammy

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Massengo | Nagy

Palmer

Semenyo | Wells

It won’t be what Holden picks but I’ve gone for my most energetic eleven.  Hunt, even though he’s not used to playing left side, against Mbuemo can cover him coming inside onto his left foot.  Vyner for legs down the right.

Wells and Semenyo will split the full backs and Palmer will need to cut the passing lane central.  When we get the ball, they need to exploit spaces behind the advanced Dalsgaard and Henry.  It should be our out-ball when we can’t play....and we need to squeeze up behind it.

Also when we have better control of the ball, Mawson and Kalas need to be responsible for moving forward with it.  If Canos and Mbuemo come narrow, then we use the WBs.

Nagy and Massengo just need to run and run, especially closing the gap between our forwards and midfield.  Moore needs to get Kalas and Mawson high, if we let Brentford casually progress up the pitch, we will end up like against Huddersfield.  

Just so we know your thought process did you choose

round pegs in square holes or square pegs in round holes?

Wouldn’t mind seeing this, just to scratch an itch if anything. No better game to do it ?

Bentley

Vyner|Kalas|Mawson|Hunt

Nagy|Massengo

Semenyo|Palmer|Edwards

Wells

12 minutes ago, SBB said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing this, just to scratch an itch if anything. No better game to do it ?

Bentley

Vyner|Kalas|Mawson|Hunt

Nagy|Massengo

Semenyo|Palmer|Edwards

Wells

Don’t mind that SBB.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Massengo | Nagy

Palmer

Semenyo | Wells

Thanks Fevs, that's exactly what I was thinking (about the bit about Moore like) 

We go again

Love Deano

59 minutes ago, Better Red said:

He will likely go 4-4-2 and leave Palmer out and add someone a bit more defensive in to bulk up the midfield.

So hard to pick a team the midfield 4 goal potential looks dreadful.

They will surely get at least 1 if not 2

Unless Fammy and/or Wells score just can’t see a goal coming from the midfield.

We will have to sit a bit deeper or they will just pass through us.

We will have to hit them on the break but not commit players forward - not sure how you do that.

could swop Martin for Wells and just play long at every opportunity. That would mean the ball would have to stick and would then need to someone to support from midfield - has to be Seymenyo. 

Is does like difficult to pick a decent team to play them with the players we have fit. Good luck Deano...

Bentley

Hunt Mawson Kalas Mariappa      Vyner Naggy Bakinson Seymenyo

Wells Fammy

4-4-2 against Brentford, oh dear. Hope I’m wrong, but could be a long night. COYR 

We’ve got horrid midfield options. It’s just awful.

Frankly, we’ve been missing an effective midfield for so long, I’ve forgotten what one looks like.

It’s got to be a 3-5-1-1.  

Bents

Vyner-Kalas-Mawson

Hunt - Anyone Who’s Up For It  ———>

Palmer

Wells

8 minutes ago, RedRock said:

We’ve got horrid midfield options. It’s just awful.

Frankly, we’ve been missing an effective midfield for so long, I’ve forgotten what one looks like.

It’s got to be a 3-5-1-1.  

Bents

Vyner-Kalas-Mawson

Hunt - Anyone Who’s Up For It  ———>

Palmer

Wells

Somewhat harsh IMO. Bakinson and Massengo, time is very much on their side, players can develop.

Nagy had a good period of games in Autumn. I do question whether we play to the strengths, or at least in a way that will give them the best chance- my suspicion is that too often we do not.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I've been away from OTIB for a few hours and I thought they'd gone and given you the job @Davefevs

For a moment, I thought DH was history!

DH is more Geography than history, all chinos, corduroy jacket with leather patches.

32 minutes ago, Lenners said:

Moore vs Toney would be absolute comedy.

Nah, Moore the spare man in the main, Kalas or Mawson to pick up.  But got to “pass-on” well.

The lack of left sided options makes it...tricky!

The injuries to many more makes a tactical balance tougher still. Counterpressing perhaps...Is Lansbury available? Might be worth throwing him in.

Ultimately all the injuries wreck the potential balance- if we set up with a back 3 and wing backs, I worry about 2 vs 1- ie Dalsgaard and Mbeumbo on the right vs Hunt, Vyner or someone else entirely at LB/LWB. 2 vs 1 is hard enough without such problems! We can get overrun.

If we go 4-4-2, I let their midfield control matters- then their forward line are flexible and fluid, with ability to switch and interchange. We can get overrun- some of our wider players can tuck in but this can then give them more freedom in wide areas!

If we go with Palmer in front of the midfield 2, there's a threat of us launching some strong breaks, but that might subside as we're outmatched vs Brentford's midfield. CM Wednesday might be DaSilva, Jensen and Janelt- was hopeful that the absence of Norgaard in DM combined with Jansson at CB might provide an opportunity with the relatively inexperienced Janelt as DM and Sorensen as Jansson's replacement- but they've loaned Winston Reid. He might be rusty though. We can again get overrun, as Palmer though he will be a threat, he isn't as natural as some in switching between the two.

If we go 4-2-3-1, if Lansbury is available then maybe...maybe he could be central in the 3, but there is still the issue of nobody natural on the left to help track and offer a bit of balance- which is where Dalsgaard-Mbeumbo come in once again. The right side at least can be a bit more secure if you field a right footer at RB (Vyner) and Semenyo wide right- there is always the problem of the left though, and when someone from inside goes out to help, this in turn gives the opposition a numerical advantage.

Without injuries definitely we could look to compete more strongly, but to have our left side wrecked...is tricky. NO Wells on the left please.

Hunt RB, Mariappa LB maybe? Hunt LB, Mariappa or Vyner RB? Wells or someone unsuited wide left? Every one of these, is a very unsatisfactory solution- albeit a lot of that is down to injuries.

In a parallel universe with only a few injuries, while I certainly don't think we would be favourites I could see possibilities, a variety of them.

1)

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Mawson DaSilva

Nagy Williams

Bakinson

Weimann Wells Paterson

Fluid. Decent at full back, Mawson technically excellent and Kalas the stopper- Nagy and Williams, maybe with Bakinson the '1' who can flit back and forth. if utilised CORRECTLY- and this is the key bit here, correctly, then I can see Wells centrally with Weimann and Paterson as wider forwards or one as a wide forward- Weimann- and Paterson as a wide midielder- interchanging somewhat. Bakinson can drop in and Paterson back to the '1' and pair Weimann and Wells in certain phases. One of those 3 CMs, unsure which, could drive forward a bit though for sure, maybe I have the layout wrong.

2)

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Mawson DaSilva

Nagy Williams

Walsh

Weimann Wells Paterson

This is as above but can be even more fluid- we know Walsh has some goal potential and when slotting back into the 4-3-1-2 in other phases, we know that midfield can be solid yet technically sound- Paterson is good for goals and midfield, the energy of Weimann as well as his early runs and his technical ability- and again having players such as that in and around can help Wells too- far better than being stuck on the left surely!? Could also have Martin as a pivot in that shape.

3)

Bentley

Vyner Kalas Mawson

Hunt Willliams Nagy DaSilva

Walsh

Weimann Martin

No outnumbering centrally, Weimann and Hunt can combine offensively and defensively in certain phases- and more tactical security with Walsh as the '1' rather than say Palmer!  Could also have Williams and Walsh or alternatively, Williams, then perm depending on form, fitness etc one of Nagy, Walsh or Bakinson- Paterson as the '1'- goals from midfield, yet able to also pull wider to combine with DaSilva in the relevant phases. These two, ie Weimann and Martin played together at Derby.

Or Weimann and Wells- see Middlesbrough away, or Weimann and Semenyo as a pair would provide a LOT of energy IMO. Also able to pull wider in phases.

There are- or would be- plenty more decent permutations in truth.  Semenyo wide right of a front 3 again provided you had some kind of balance on the left- Paterson, or O'Dowda to some extent, could be good again. Putting Wells out there (because we have to) fundamentally changes the shape and gives the opposition greater chances to exploit an unnatural position etc, while rendering Wells less effective for the same reason.

Not even considered in my quick lineups, players such as Sessegnon, Baker, Moore, Rowe, Lansbury, Massengo, O'Dowda Semenyo and Diedhiou yet they would all have claims to varying levels- do we know the status of Rowe or Lansbury at this stage?

Point is you could have a basic shape but make tweaks within it, or within a Plan A and a Plan B, dependent on form, fitness and oppositon etc- resting Martin in particular due to a possible past or present medical condition- and he has not played that much in recent weeks, maybe he will be fresher for Wednesday as a bit of a Pivot potentially.

Back to reality, I'd probably go with 3 in CM and a fairly counterattacking shape with all the injuries in mind, combined with our patchy away form and Brentford 18 unbeaten in the League- but we'll see.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Massengo | Nagy

Palmer

Semenyo | Wells

Fam for Wells. Otherwise, exactly what I would do. 

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

The problem is some of our most energetic players are injured! 

Weimann, O'Dowda, Dasilva, Williams, Paterson can all run for 90 plus mins no problem.

Really missed their energy.

It's incredible that so many people on here (this forum, not this thread) can't see that. 

Even more incredible that many of those crirics also dismiss it as a reason that we are struggling to find form and playing style at the moment. 

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I actually think Nagy left wing back may be an option. Phenomenal work rate and good with either foot. Filled in very briefly at right back last season in one game, not much to go on of course! At least we have other central midfield options that can come in for him if he was to play there. 

The very same thought just went through my head too JD. 

As for @Davefevsinitial line up, I’d swap Moore out for Mariappa. Kinda feel a bit sorry for ‘Mapps’. Was signed as a CB because we had no cover there, and then has been shunted around at full back positions. I think the only time he got some minutes at CB was as the LCB, a position all of our right-footers struggle with. So we haven’t yet seen him in his best position. 

Is Lansbury fit? If so, I’d have him in rather than Palmer. KP’s tendency to give the ball away too often could really hurt against Brentford. 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Massengo | Nagy

Palmer

Semenyo | Wells

Fevs, I would be interested to see your line up if everyone was fit for comparison..... How many of this line up would feature? 

There is a reason we've seen Mariappa & not Hunt at left back both times Rowe has got injured, Hunt is terrible on his left foot. 

Can't see DH going with Hunt there against Brentford.  

Massengo or Nagy our best option to play there I reckon.

I can't believe we haven't signed a left back. Would've been plenty available on loan, and plenty of quality in the lower leagues, it's a shambles. If Rowe gets injured long term, whats the plan then? Free agent market again?

Archived